Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2021, 11:54   #1
BHPian

Covid: Tamil Nadu to Karnataka interstate travel for non-medical emergency

Hi folks,

I have not been able to gather clear info about this on internet. Hence, reaching out to folks here who might have had similar use case in past.

My fiancée is currently working in Bangalore as part of an essential service. Our wedding is scheduled for next month and I want to drive to Bangalore from Tamil Nadu to bring her home. I saw on the Karnataka government website that it is not allowing to apply for e pass anymore.

Does someone know if I would be allowed to drive into Karnataka? I don't plan to stay, just go there in the morning, pick her up and return back almost immediately. Would police accept wedding as a valid reason for being out on road

My car is KA registered if that would help. I have a wedding invitation card but it is in Tamil, don't know if cops would believe that. Am looking to get one printed in English but lockdown here is not helping with that.
sen2693 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 12:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Covid: Tamil Nadu to Karnataka interstate travel for non-medical emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Hi folks,

I have not been able to gather clear info about this on internet. Hence, reaching out to folks here who might have had similar use case in past.
It might go either way. You may enter and return unchallenged but anything non medical would be questioned at Attibele. I would suggest let her come by train to Tamilnadu. Couple of trains run empty everyday. Take 2 Tier AC in Kaveri express(now run as special train and numbered 06022) or Lalbagh express(again with some different number). Use double mask and faceshield.
aadya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 12:22   #3
BHPian

Couple options are

1. A suggested above, try to explore the train route

2. Air travel is still allowed, can explore that as well

3. Going by road, you can carry your wedding card along and show the cops photos and videos on your phone of your engagement if stopped and questioned. Do note that you may have no other option than to bribe your way through. I know its unfortunate but the reality is that around. Try to avoid getting into arguments with cops. Honey will attract more flies than vinegar. Speak softly and request when stopped.If you have some documentation proving you or your fiancée are into the essential services please carry that along too

All the best !

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 20th May 2021 at 12:23.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 12:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,
My car is KA registered if that would help. I have a wedding invitation card but it is in Tamil, don't know if cops would believe that. Am looking to get one printed in English but lockdown here is not helping with that.
You have not mentioned from which part of Tamil Nadu, to advice accordingly. Having her take a train or flight is the smoothest option. But if you can wait until May 24th and see if the lock down is getting lifted, and plan accordingly you may do that. If train/flight is not an option for you and cannot wait till 24th to see the situation, then I would say you just drive up to Bangalore. The reason is very legit and I don't think why on earth someone has to stop you. Just go for it. (with all safety nets in place). Plan an entry from 6am-10am during the ongoing curfew days.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 12:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

I don't think the Police will be very empathetic if the reason is given as a marriage.

Overworked and highly stressed, I would rather not use this as a reason while talking with them at a checkpost.

Yesterday when I went from Adyar to Teynampet for my vaccination, there were a lot of deployed police personal.

I was not stopped at 9:30 when I went to Teynampet. But on my return around 10:20 in front of Madhya Kailash, they stopped every single vehicle and I had to show my vaccination receipt to cross the checkpost.
I had also applied and kept an e-pass with me from https://eregister.tnega.org/
bblost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 12:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

My fiancée is currently working in Bangalore as part of an essential service. Our wedding is scheduled for next month and I want to drive to Bangalore from Tamil Nadu to bring her home. I saw on the Karnataka government website that it is not allowing to apply for e pass anymore.

Does someone know if I would be allowed to drive into Karnataka?
It is a little bit of a grey area. Traveling for a wedding is allowed. But in your case the wedding itself is not immediate, so you can be stopped. Suggest you plan for 2-3 options.
  • Try your luck with the wedding card and attempt to come in via Attibelle.
  • Enter the state via Hosur-Bagalur-Sarjapur.
  • Ask you fiance to take a train-Either till Hosur or maybe Jolarpet or Salem-depending on where you are coming from and pick up from there.

Before all of this, suggest to wait for 2-3 days for the update on lockdown extension or relaxations post 24th

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 20th May 2021 at 12:57.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 13:03   #7
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong but flights are still operating. An air ticket is a valid document for travel and your fiancée can show it to cops if she is stopped. All airlines take ample precautions against Covid. Anyways, its just 35 mins from Bangalore to Chennai by flight. I am not aware of the quarantine rules. So before taking this option just check facts. I might be wrong completely.
srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 14:15   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Trains are so very convenient.They are running practically empty.You can drive for marriage but only to destination.Back and forth is not allowed.You are going away from marriage destination.Not worth it at all.
rajeevsulu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 17:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

You need an E-pass and negative RTPCR to enter Tamil Nadu. I don't think there is any restriction to enter Karnataka.

Even in the previous lockdown there was no E-pass to enter Karnataka. They did ask about reason for travel in the border for some vehicles.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 22:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

In the last lockdown, I had to bring my wife home, when interstate travel was not allowed. Her Brother dropped her till Walayar (TN side) and she crossed over to the KL side from TN side by foot and I picked her up from the KL side of the Walayar border.

You can ask someone to drop her till the last train station on the KA side and then pick her up from the first train station on the TN side, that way time spent on the train is minimised. Trains are empty and sleeper coaches are airy. It is a calculated approach.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd May 2021 at 05:51. Reason: Typo.
govigov is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:11   #11
BHPian

If you really wish, you can use district roads, rural roads, trails and cross over from Tamilnadu to Karnataka and vice versa. The police presence is nominal and only on main highways. They cant and won't monitor all small village roads to stop covid cases.
AirbusCapt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
. [*]Enter the state via Hosur-Bagalur-Sarjapur.
I stay very close to the Bagalur checkpost. Other than at Bagalur - Karnataka border , there is another police check post at Thindlu village, about 4 kms into Karnataka. Not worth it at all.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:15   #13
BHPian

The cops have become super active since Saturday night, after the CM’s unhappiness over uncontrolled venturing out by private cars and bikes after 10AM. Even small by lanes have been barricaded that can connect to main roads as a a shortcut in most places. Otis not worth the risk especially if it is not an immediate wedding on the said date.

My cousin took the same approach of using a non AC train coach for ventilation purpose to reach Chennai for his own wedding last week, apparently there were totally 3 people in the entire coach. Makes total sense and one lesser headache to have amidst a wedding plan.
Rakeshmbalaji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 09:15   #14
BHPian

Try to get in/out of KA between 6AM - 10AM. KA doesn't issue epass but allows movement for essentials. Keep valid TN epass just in case you are inquired. I live close to border, I think there is no epass check when you enter KA, however on your return the TN side would have epass checking.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 23rd May 2021 at 09:19.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 12:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,
Our wedding is scheduled for next month and I want to drive to Bangalore from Tamil Nadu to bring her home. I saw on the Karnataka government website that it is not allowing to apply for e pass anymore.

Road travel is a grey area as of now. Forget inter-state, even within state, it is highly subjective on the mood of the person who is checking/stopping the vehicle.

My suggestion is take any train going into TN from bangalore. Even hosur would do.

You drive to that station and pick her up and proceed.

and one more suggestion - AVOID A/C compartment as the centralized a/c makes it is more prone for spreading the virus even if any passenger in that bogie is +ve.

Sleeper will be a lot more safer. As it is, the trains are running almost empty. So social distancing will not be a matter. My friend recently traveled from BLR to madurai in Sleeper. There were hardly 8-10 people in the whole bogie!
haria is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks