Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2021, 17:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June

The Fast and Furious franchise is known for its over-the-top and physics-defying stunts. Yet for some reason, we love it.

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-fast9.jpg

In the last eight instalments, Dominic Toretto and his team have taken out planes, trains, tanks and even submarines. Taking a step further, the directors have now introduced rocket-powered cars. This time, we have a rocket strapped to a Pontiac Fiero.

Apart from flying cars and massive explosions, stunts involving electromagnets are a first for the franchise. How about an aeroplane catching a car mid-air using an electromagnet?

John Cena plays the role of Jakob Toretto, who is Dominic's brother. Jakob is a master thief, assassin and high-performance driver.

Sung Kang makes a return as Han Lue. Han who was part of Dom's team and was believed to have been killed makes a return.

Kurt Russell plays Mr Nobody and Charlize Theron reprises her role as a cyber-terrorist called Cipher.

TusharK is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 19:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June

I've ended up watching all of the ones except the last one.

At the risk of offending the fans of this series, I must admit that except for the first movie which was a novelty, all the subsequent ones have lacked originality.

The same theme of people having access to supercars mindlessly chasing each other for no reason just repeats with every new part, made up my mind not to watch another of this series.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 30th May 2021 at 19:15.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 19:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

At the risk of offending the fans of this series, I must admit that except for the first movie which was a novelty, all the subsequent ones have lacked originality.

The same theme of people having access to supercars mindlessly chasing each other for no reason just repeats with every new part, made up my mind not to watch another of this series.

Even fans have a level beyond which the sheer absurdity trumps their love for the franchise.
At this point everyone accepts F&F series as a fun, mindless action movie when they can turn off their logic and just go with the flow and have a blast while Dom talks about "FAMILY" and drive fast cars over cliffs, from top of building, from planes, maybe next time from Space

People just go too see them drive flashy cars, very fast and smash them.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 19:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This franchise/movie is best viewed in a theatre, just ensure you leave your brains at home before going there Enjoy the roller coaster of cars, stunts, action and go home with a smile on your face. It’s surely worth the price of a movie ticket in my opinion.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 19:29   #5
BHPian

Fast and Furious franchise started with street racing and seems to be evolving over time into a fantasy superhero storyline !

There is hardly anything to do with love of automobiles and this series doesn’t look like it will end anytime soon. Like the Bond films, we could see many more Fast and Furious instalments !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 19:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

I liked the first three parts the most. That said, i did enjoy the other movies except for parts where they made Dom as some superhero.

Will i watch the new one? Oh for sure
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 19:45   #7
BHPian

F&F started as a car race focused franchise along with a story line thrown in for namesake. The first three movies were genuinely interesting from a car enthusiast's POV. Especially Tokyo Drift, which brought drifting from the underground to the masses. Heck I didn't know there was something called drifting, before the movie. I still remember people gasping in awe in theatre where I went to watch it.
It was from the fourth movie that the producers took a different angle & turned it into a heist film series, aka Oceans series on steroids, minus the brains, only brawn. F&F had become a brand, the studios would be foolish not to exploit it.
superbad is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 21:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've ended up watching all of the ones except the last one.

2 Fast 2 Furious was the best of the series. It was a really smart movie and the scene where hundreds of cars jump out of the parking lot takes the cake! And not to forget when Paul Walker drove the Evo in reverse to impress Ms.Mendez. And the bag of the loot they kept at the end for themselves. It was fun and cheeky!

It was probably also the only time Ludacris and Tyrese Gibson had meaty roles they pulled off without looking like amateurs.

And I miss Devon Aoki aka Suki who used to drive the pink powerpuff car!

For me personally, no other sequel except maybe FF6 to some (tho very little) had that same impact. The first one is always a bench mark but it kinda all got too geeky and over the top after FF4 maybe.

The spinoff - Hobbs and Shaw was absolutely yawn inducing.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 30th May 2021 at 21:43.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 21:53   #9

This is my summary of all the Fast & Furious movies (released and planned):
  1. F&F 1: Introduce Street Racing. Pure.
  2. F&F 2: 90’s Action Movie Trope; Anti-Heroes busting a South-American Drug Kingpin’s Operations
  3. F&F 3: Introduction to the Underground ‘Drift’ scene; The last original F&F movie in the main franchise
  4. F&F 4: Save the world with outrageous stunts involving cars. Rinse. Repeat.
  5. F&F 5: Save the world with outrageous stunts involving cars. Rinse. Repeat.
  6. F&F 6: Save the world with outrageous stunts involving cars. Rinse. Repeat.
  7. F&F 7: Save the world with outrageous stunts involving cars. Rinse. Repeat.
  8. F&F 8: Save the world with outrageous stunts involving cars. Rinse. Repeat.
  9. F&F Presents Hobbs & Shaw: Milk more money from gullible moviegoers with a spin-off series. Save the world with outrageous stunts involving cars. Rinse. Repeat.
  10. F&F 9: Save the world with outrageous stunts involving cars. Rinse. Repeat.
  11. F&F 10: Save the world with outrageous stunts involving cars. Rinse. Repeat. The End.

The over-arching theme being ‘Family’, as if this is some sanskaari Bollywood film.

I stopped using my brains to understand the story beyond F&F 4 - I just go to the theatre to enjoy the popcorn.

Still, you’ve got to give the makers some credit - over 10 films (F&F 10 will be the last one in the main series) + 1 released spin-off (Hobbs & Shaw), they’ve easily managed to make well over $5.9 billion as per this article
V4D3R is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 22:26   #10
BHPian

The franchise should have stopped at Tokyo Drift. Tbh, all the movies post that have been just plain deplorable. However, I have to confess I did watch all the F&F movies ONLY to check out the cool cars. Never paid heed to the storyline. Similarly, I'm waiting for the new movie to release just for the fine automobiles that will be used on-screen.

Also, I remembered this old meme from way back. Leaving it here because I feel it fits right into this thread.

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-iql2jhnyv7sjdhnr8ulepp4kpr63an0v91symzrhcc.jpg
LOL_FWD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 22:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

The spinoff - Hobbs and Shaw was absolutely yawn inducing.
That was made cos Vin Diesel refused to work with Dwayne Johnson. Studio wanted to cash on Rock and Statham's popularity so they made Hobbs and Shaw.

I will watch the latest one as I know what's coming and I enjoy the ride ignoring all logic.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 02:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Some of the Coolest Cars Featured in Fast 9.

Dennis McCarthy, the picture-car coordinator for the franchise, who has been involved since The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, gave CarandDriver an early look at some of the cars featured in the film. He makes decisions about the majority of the cars that make it into the movies; director Justin Lin approves; and his shop in Burbank, California, builds most of them.

Mid-Engine Dodge Charger

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d056004071621970643.jpg

Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519t1010251231621970793.jpg

Toyota Supra

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519f9r7mono06285631621970951.jpg

Ford Mustang

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519t1010152091621971073.jpg

1970 Dodge Charger Tantrum

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d001001551621971169.jpg

1970 Dodge Charger R/T

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d00100233r1621971323.jpg

Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d003001631621971412.jpg

Jeep Gladiator

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d006001641621971513.jpg

Jaguar XE SV Project 8

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d054003591621971568.jpg

Acura NSX

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d055000181621971636.jpg

Noble M600

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d058003231621971682.jpg

Apollo IE

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d048000271621971751.jpg

Pontiac Fiero

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519d03900309r1621971966.jpg

Armadillo

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519ppd00800042rcrop1621972108.jpg

Armoury Truck

Fast & Furious 9 debuts globally; India release in June-2519ppd00800009r1621972145.jpg

Nissan Skyline GT-R

Name:  screenshot20210527at114657am1622137494.png
Views: 3228
Size:  238.4 KB

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 31st May 2021 at 02:14.
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 02:37   #13
BHPian

We have mocked Mithun da and numerous Southern actors like N. Balakrishna for their over the top action but this Fast and furious series except part 1 have been more vulgar than anything else. The whole series is just a plain mockery on human sensibilities. The makers have doubled up on death and resurrections even more than star plus serials. Makers should probably be put in jail for such an abomination.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 02:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Guess gal gadot is now a little too big to make a comeback, or they would have resurrected her as well. Also I am not sure if she would have wanted to come back anymore.

Gave up on these movies sometime back last I remember is Fast and furious 5. There after it was dom trying to be salman khan of Hollywood, both continue to make a mockery of themselves till date with a blind fan following who like to keep reminding us to keep our brains home. No sir I rather keep my brain with me then be brain-dead for few hours. The last few movies I could not even stand the trailers.
AtheK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 07:17   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, did not know this was so polarising!
I love the whole shebang of fnf. It's just so over the top, that it requires no application of mind. If I wanted something intelligent, I'd read a book. No one walks into fnf thinking about a plot that would noodle-ise your brain. If you do, even after the last 6-7 of them, then it's your fault.
It's pure entertainment, just a visual experience and I love it. So much of content nowadays is related to real life, based in real life, but we already have a real life. Why escape to more of it?
Look forward to John Cena, see what he does.
My only regret is not seeing it in a theatre.
mayankk is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks