Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2024, 14:05   #301
BHPian

Re: Middle-aged gents & heart attacks | Bird Automotive boss passes away at just 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
There must be some underlying condition or some aspect of lifestyle that causes it to happen...
I have been watching the Kamath brothers podcasts for sometime. Both are obsessed with health and have unlimited resources. If there was a known underlying issue they would have found it for sure and would gone after it with full steam.

It is a fallacy to think that the medical science has completely figured out the human body. We only know small bit and pieces. If you are keeping fit and doing the known good things for your body you are just reducing (hopefully) the probability of a bad health outcome but never completely eliminating it.
JediKnight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 15:37   #302
BHPian

Re: Middle-aged gents & heart attacks | Bird Automotive boss passes away at just 48

De-hydration causing stroke is not the first time I have heard. Although the couple I have heard is for elderly.
Maybe the treadmill thing he is already on is mostly for walking I guess. One could have all precautions for the heart, is there anything for brain strokes ? Was it Ischemic (mostly) or Hemorrhagic ?
Old 1st March 2024, 06:46   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a big difference between being 'fit' in the social media, fashion model sense and being healthy in the real world sense. One can have the perfect six pack abs figure touted these days by film stars, models and cricketer super stars and still not be healthy in the holistic sense. Working out in the gym or running marathons contribute to being strong and healthy but they are not the total package of being healthy. Nutrition, full sleep on most nights, yoga, meditation are all as important to a full health as gym-ing. Of these I'd pick nutrition in moderate quantities and restful sleep as the two most important of all.

There is a lot to our infinitely complex bodies than just muscles, heart and lungs.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 1st March 2024 at 06:47.
V.Narayan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 10:30   #304
Senior - BHPian

Fitness and lifestyle are interdependent, a stressed person can never be healthy or fit, our body parameters like muscle percent, BMR and visceral fat levels can give a good picture of our overall health. A conscious food intake habit is more important than short term diet programs accompanied by physical activities to lose weight.
deehunk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 11:34   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
...a stressed person can never be healthy or fit...
Especially if the pursuit of the fitness activity itself is becoming a cause for stress. Seeing this too often, especially in older men- the fitness hobby, running, gymming, ironman, cycling, etc. are themselves becoming very goal-oriented and competitive. If that causes stress, a feeling of "I have to be doing x by this y month", or "I can't even miss one day", then it's basically work, what is the point?

Pushing yourself is one thing, trying to match up to professional athletes, or 20-years olds is something else entirely.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 11:45   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Especially if the pursuit of the fitness activity itself is becoming a cause for stress. Seeing this too often, especially in older men- the fitness hobby, running, gymming, ironman, cycling, etc. are themselves becoming very goal-oriented and competitive. If that causes stress, a feeling of "I have to be doing x by this y month", or "I can't even miss one day", then it's basically work, what is the point?

Pushing yourself is one thing, trying to match up to professional athletes, or 20-years olds is something else entirely.
Absolutely. I am now into my 40’s and have prioritised mental health over the need to look good and fit in smaller clothes. These are some of the changes I have instituted.

1. Push-ups at home over going to the gym to lift weights.
2. Stretching at home over going to a yoga class.
3. Walking outdoors in fresh air over walking on the treadmill inside the gym
4. Sleep early rather than meeting friends in the evening
5. Eating food I cook myself versus going out to meet friends. Now I invite friends home for meals I cook and plate.
6. A good fasting regimen to give my body a break everyday over needing to eat constantly to push bigger weights at the gym
7. Having a good poop in the morning is by far one of the biggest wins for the day So underrated imo. This is the number one sign of both good mental and physical health and that everything is working as it should.
8. Spending time alone as opposed to always needing to be around family and friends.
9. Go and look at a tree instead of looking at social media. LOL!

Last edited by Red Liner : 1st March 2024 at 11:47.
Red Liner is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 14:26   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
In my own experience, I have used Herbalife nutrition just as a breakfast replacememt and changed my lifestyle to complement my weightvloss program. I have now become fit enough to jog for 1.5km, this may sound funny, but for a guy who could barely walk a year ago, this is a big achievement. I have lost 67kg since May 2023 but with a balance of food intake, physical activity and positive mindset.
deehunk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 14:37   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have now become fit enough to jog for 1.5km, this may sound funny, but for a guy who could barely walk a year ago, this is a big achievement.
Kudos to you! This is what personal fitness/well-being should really be about, setting your own goals and celebrating achievements that matter to you. Not competing with someone else or for Instagram.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 15:30   #309
Senior - BHPian

We keep demonizing stress but we should note the difference between stress and chronic stress. Between the two it is the latter that is the most deadly whereas the former is actually good for you. Like everything in life, the dose makes the poison. So, stress in small doses keeps your fight-or-flight system in good shape. So dont get stressed about taking stress and enjoy the rewards that come from after you've stressed yourself to meet an objective or a goal.
amitoj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 10:46   #310
BHPian

Quote:
In my own experience, I have used Herbalife nutrition just as a breakfast replacememt and changed my lifestyle to complement my weightvloss program. I have now become fit enough to jog for 1.5km, this may sound funny, but for a guy who could barely walk a year ago, this is a big achievement. I have lost 67kg since May 2023 but with a balance of food intake, physical activity and positive mindset.
That's a BIG drop in weight. ~7kg/month. Congratulations. What's your weight loss program by the way?
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 11:07   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
One could have all precautions for the heart, is there anything for brain strokes ? Was it Ischemic (mostly) or Hemorrhagic ?
I believe a tiny clot can cause heart attack if it is in the arteries and cause a stroke if it is in the brain. CT/MRI can spot the clots but people are hesitant to go though CT/MRI unnecessarily as they have adverse effects due to the radiation exposure. Presence of clots might case unbearable headaches (one of the indication).

Last edited by Guna : 3rd March 2024 at 11:16. Reason: Minor typo
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 12:26   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
There is a big difference between being 'fit' in the social media, fashion model sense and being healthy in the real world sense. One can have the perfect six pack abs figure touted these days by film stars, models and cricketer super stars and still not be healthy in the holistic sense. Working out in the gym or running marathons contribute to being strong and healthy but they are not the total package of being healthy. Nutrition, full sleep on most nights, yoga, meditation are all as important to a full health as gym-ing. Of these I'd pick nutrition in moderate quantities and restful sleep as the two most important of all.

There is a lot to our infinitely complex bodies than just muscles, heart and lungs.
You hit 🎯
If someone's suffered a stroke or an attack means that individual isn't as healthy or fit as construed.
Exercise is supposed to keep one disease free. Ailments free. That is basically the main objective to keeping fit.
Unfortunately our yardsticks for fitness aren't accurate and concentrate more on the cosmetic side.
Regardless of vaccine after-reactions, our bodies are amazingly built and can develop the necessary defense mechanisms. The vaccine was just an aid to ameliorate the symptoms of the COVID virus. No more no less. So though it may seem convenient to pin the blame on the vaccine, incorrectly so, it doesn't help any one.

Coming back to fitness. Health markers are actually simple ones.

Height weight ratio
Resting heart rate
Minimal or no belly fat (6 pack not at all a criterion)
Flexibility or mobility
Functional strength
Good sleep for 5-6 hours
Healthy appetite

I am 53 and concentrate on the above markers. Got COVID during the second wave. Recovered in a week with only combiflam for 3 days. Got the covaxin jabs subsequently. No side effects barring little soreness on the arm for one night.

Most of us tend to go overboard with out fitness routines and aim for cosmetic changes rather than functional. This is the bane of social media.

I recommend keeping health and fitness a simple journey.

Eat well
Exercise well
Rest well

And you will live well.
Aloneatma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2024, 14:43   #313
BHPian

While searching for a good fitness watch, found this device. Can be used with a phone and seems for more reliable than watch for heart related stats.

https://www.sanketlife.in/
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks