Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2021, 12:35   #1
BHPian

Options to move my career or business abroad

Although I’ve always wanted to work in another country to get exposure to different cultures (spent 12 yrs of my childhood in the uae), it wasn’t strong enough to drive a full life change.

But, it has been my dream to learn to Fly. And to get a private license, for which after a lot of research as well as advice from forum members here, it looks like moving out of India is the best bet to pursue this at an enjoyable level.

I’m now trying to figure out what the best way to do that is.

Context: I’m currently working as a partner focusing on content marketing and digital marketing in a small Indian media firm where I also own a share. I also run a small 4 year old marketing startup with 5 employees.

Options so far:
1. Directly apply for a job in US/Europe while staying in India - extremely low probability of success, very low risk and cost for me
2. Get an MS at a very good college in target country and then search for a job - medium risk for me as it requires me to spend ~25L while also forgoing income of around 60L over two years so total expense = 85L excluding interest, medium probability for success within one year after graduation (Indians on average seem to get a well-paid job after 2,000 applications in Europe after passing out of a top 200 college)
Studying in Ireland could reduce cost by a 10 lacs to 75 lacs including forgone income.
3. Doing my current job while located in a developing country and building a business there (via a startup visa like for uk) will work if I’m able to use the location to grow my business quick enough, but it will cost 1Cr for two years including visa cost. High risk, medium chance of success (though I’m very strong at retaining customers who have come to know me, I’m weak at business development with new people due to my ASD).

Are there other options or data to consider?
di1in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 13:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Options to move my career or business abroad

Having no idea about your financial liabilities, age and other personal parameters, here is what I can suggest: None of these three options are financially viable/reasonable or easy to do.

IF this dream to learn flying is the primary driver for your thoughts here then you have a better option (as has already been recommended on the personal pilot license thread you started):

Visit USA - the Mecca of flying as a hobby, and take a course there. Use that license to do whatever you want. This is by far the cheapest and fastest way to fulfil your dream.

Option 1: Time and energy exhausting with very low probability of success given the current global economic circumstances and VISA policies. Plus you may get disappointed by lack of responses. But if you are lucky, then this is the best choice.
Option 2: Too many unknowns in today's world - economic scenario, VISA policies and increasing work/learn from home being adopted by many. A 'Foreign' degree holds less value now that say 10 years back.
Option 3: Seems expensive from what you have stated here. I am not sure if I understand if fully though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Options so far:
1. Directly apply for a job in US/Europe while staying in India - extremely low probability of success, very low risk and cost for me
2. Get an MS at a very good college in target country and then search for a job - medium risk for me as it requires me to spend ~25L while also forgoing income of around 60L over two years so total expense = 85L excluding interest, medium probability for success within one year after graduation (Indians on average seem to get a well-paid job after 2,000 applications in Europe after passing out of a top 200 college)
Studying in Ireland could reduce cost by a 10 lacs to 75 lacs including forgone income.
3. Doing my current job while located in a developing country and building a business there (via a startup visa like for uk) will work if I’m able to use the location to grow my business quick enough, but it will cost 1Cr for two years including visa cost. High risk, medium chance of success (though I’m very strong at retaining customers who have come to know me, I’m weak at business development with new people due to my ASD).

Last edited by Aditya : 30th July 2021 at 21:43. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 17:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
I cannot comment on anything else mentioned in the post except this quoted line.
I totally understand and fully agree that the chances are low, but after living in Netherlands for a good number of years, I have seen many Indians (+ people from non EU countries ) directly getting recruited to international companies in Netherlands (Booking dot com for example). Most of them are, as one can imagine, IT jobs but I have seen a few non-Core-IT moves as well. My suggestion would be to give it a try. Do not invest any big money in it by approaching recruiters etc. but have a very good LinkedIn profile and spend 1-2 hours per week for a few weeks browsing around jobs in LinkedIn. Apply for suitable jobs as far as there is no mention on EU passport/language requirements. Luck may strike. After all, the only investment is minimum amount of time.
Good luck!
dileepcm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 12:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
Luck may strike. After all, the only investment is minimum amount of time.
Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Option 1: Time and energy exhausting with very low probability of success given the current global economic circumstances and VISA policies. Plus you may get disappointed by lack of responses. But if you are lucky, then this is the best choice.
Will try applying from India. Thank you both for the responses. Looks like I’m going to have daft punk/pharrel playing “get lucky” on loop 🤞

Last edited by di1in : 1st August 2021 at 12:56.
di1in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 15:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This option might or might not be feasible depending on your role / career. Option is :

Get a job in India arm of the Org, network and build relationships
Take internal transfer to US after 2 years
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks