Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 23:16   #46
BHPian

Re: The Good Guide to Great Sleep

What an excellent guide! Thank you Redliner

I had a few questions, based on experience members please share your views:
  1. How does intake of water affect sleep? I seem to sleep well when I have consumed adequate water through the day, and fitfully when I have not taken enough water
  2. If one has the same recurring dream again and again, does that mean anything specific? for. e.g. I always have this recurring dream once every few weeks or so where I am supposed to give an exam and am completely unprepared. Been having this for about 15 years now!
venkats2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 08:41   #47
BHPian

Excellent posts!

I wish to know whether waking up for 1-2 bio breaks normal or something to be concerned about. I usually wake up (rather woken up) around 2 am with a full bladder and need to relive badly. Sometime I need 2 such breaks. However it doesn't affect my sleep as I am able to go back to slumber as soon as I hit the bed again.

I do not intake any large quantity of fluids before going to bed (which is around 10.30 - 11 pm) Not sure whether I need to be worried about this. Please comment.
kshastry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 09:30   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkats2001 View Post
What an excellent guide! Thank you Redliner

I had a few questions, based on experience members please share your views:
  1. How does intake of water affect sleep? I seem to sleep well when I have consumed adequate water through the day, and fitfully when I have not taken enough water
  2. If one has the same recurring dream again and again, does that mean anything specific? for. e.g. I always have this recurring dream once every few weeks or so where I am supposed to give an exam and am completely unprepared. Been having this for about 15 years now!
1. Don't obsess over water intake. Drink when you feel thirsty. Drink plenty of fluids first thing in the morning as you have gone without water for 8 hours. If a particular amount of water intake is contributing to better sleep, that is what works for your body so stick to it.

2. This recurring dream seems to be your subconscious playing out some deep rooted anxiety or fear that you may have filed away from the past. This is your brain's way of emotional healing and therapy whilst you sleep.

Exercise
Go back in time and to your younger days. Day dream those days alone. Visualise your time then in third person. What did you feel like before giving that exam for which you tried preparing or didn't prepare at all? Process that and let go. Enjoy this process. Laugh at that anxiety and stress you may have had as a teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Excellent posts!

I wish to know whether waking up for 1-2 bio breaks normal or something to be concerned about. I usually wake up (rather woken up) around 2 am with a full bladder and need to relive badly. Sometime I need 2 such breaks. However it doesn't affect my sleep as I am able to go back to slumber as soon as I hit the bed again.

I do not intake any large quantity of fluids before going to bed (which is around 10.30 - 11 pm) Not sure whether I need to be worried about this. Please comment.
Bio breaks are perfectly healthy as long as you do not have problems going back to sleep immediately. Just don't switch on any lights on the way to the restroom. Remember that not peeing is more dangerous than going and relieving yourself.

If you're not wetting the bed and have good control over your bladder etc, it shouldn't be any cause for worry. I have my tea at night and there are times i need to wake up at around 2 or 3 am for a bio break myself.

Also
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 18:34   #49
BHPian

I would strongly suggest these two podcast episode of Dr Andrew Huberman's podcast to understand sleep and factors which impacts it in good or bad way.

1st episode is with Dr. Matt Walker, who is Professor of Neuroscience and Psychology and the Founder & Director of the Center for Human Sleep Science at the University of California, Berkeley.

2nd episode is with Dr. Samer Hattar, Chief of the Section on Light and Circadian Rhythms at the National Institute of Mental Health.

This is also available on Spotify.

abtyagi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks