Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2007, 15:26   #1
BHPian

Bomb Blast in Hyderabad... OH GOD when will this violence stop

May 18, 2007 13:57 IST
Last Updated: May 18, 2007 15:12 IST
Five persons were killed and four others, including two children, were injured when a bomb exploded in the historic Mecca mosque in the Charminar area of the old city in Hyderabad.
Chief Minister YSR Rajasekhara Reddy said from New Delhi two more live bombs were found in the vicinity and were diffused.
The bomb exploded when thousands of people were gathered in the mosque for Friday prayers, South Zone DCP Kanta Rao said.
The bomb exploded around 1.30 PM and people ran outside in panic. Stones were pelted at the nearby shops and police personnel by an angry group of people.
The local Majlis MP, Asauddin Owaissi, however, claimed that six people had died and 15 were injured seriously.
The Mecca mosque is historic, said to be over 400 years old, and considered holy by people of Hyderabad, the rest of Andhra Pradesh and elsewhere.
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Rajshekhar Reddy, who is in Delhi, talked to the DGP Basith and other senior state government officials and took stock of the situation.
Home Minister Jana Reddy said that police reinforcements are being sent to the area and the situation would be brought under control.
The police were yet to identify the people who could have been behind the blast. They said an unattended bag has been found from the spot.
Police Commissioner Balwinder Singh told reporters on the spot that the bag has been sent for defusing.
Most of the injured have been admitted to the Osmania hospital. Four of them are in a serious condition, Dr Sreenivas of the hospital said.

Source: Five killed in Hyderabad's Mecca mosque blast
Old 18th May 2007, 15:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This shouldnt break out into a communal conflict
Old 18th May 2007, 15:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very sad indeed. There seems to be no end to this lunatic killing happening all over the country, in the name of religion, caste, creed etc etc. Back to barbarianism.
Old 18th May 2007, 15:34   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
This shouldnt break out into a communal conflict
Chances are HIGH that it will ....
Old 18th May 2007, 15:36   #5
BHPian

Worst is we commoners can't do anything. Am feeling desolate that all that I've to do is close office now, so that there are no untoward incidents to my staff on their way home later. How I wish we could have helped, but there's violence in that area of the city and cannot be easily reached is whatI've been told.
Old 18th May 2007, 15:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Chances are HIGH that it will ....
It is the South, so the chances of that happening, though present are less. I hope I am right.
Old 18th May 2007, 15:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Knowing how sensitive Hyderabad is to such incidents, people living in areas such as the Old City, Mehdipatnam better be on their guards. Highly unfortunate that anti-social elements resort to such inhuman practices for their vested interests. Looks like its going to be a tense weekend.

@TypeONegative : Hyderabad is highly sensityive to any such incidents in the Old City areas, which is why that region is usually always targetted.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th May 2007 at 15:41.
Old 18th May 2007, 15:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Stones were pelted at the nearby shops and police personnel by an angry group of people.
This can only happen in India. Stupid people pelt stones instead of helping the injured and dead.

I hope the situation doesn't worsen more.
Old 18th May 2007, 15:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
This can only happen in India. Stupid people pelt stones instead of helping the injured and dead.

I hope the situation doesn't worsen more.
Exactly.... Lets pray for the speedy recovery of the injured, and for the souls of the departed, it's the least we could do.

Last edited by suren181 : 18th May 2007 at 15:47.
Old 18th May 2007, 15:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
@TypeONegative : Hyderabad is highly sensityive to any such incidents in the Old City areas, which is why that region is usually always targetted.
Agreed. I am hoping it does not spread beyond the City, if the rioting does begin. It is times like these that make me believe that there is no God.
Old 18th May 2007, 17:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

UPDATE
persons injured: 35

manson.
Old 18th May 2007, 17:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

really bad. I am surprised how come TV9 crew were present there to cover it immediately? Looks suspicious.
Old 18th May 2007, 17:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... latest is that unofficial figure for the deads is 5 or 6. Officially its 4. Police were trying to get into the mosque but the locals won't let them in. They were pelting stones at the troupes. Ultimately battalions of those blue guards (RAF... vajra vahini) landed up and just marched in with their fibre glaas shields. Apparently a few some more bombs were recovered.

Buses have stopped plying on the Nampally, Afzalgunj and beyond. However stray cases of violence and arson has been heard. Someone was telling me that channel showed some buses being torched. It seems there was some TV channel OB Van nearby shooting something when they heard the blast. They have since then being covering it all live and causing more pandemonium as per my friend. As of yet some shops in sanathnagar and balanagar have been closed down.
Old 18th May 2007, 18:00   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
really bad. I am surprised how come TV9 crew were present there to cover it immediately? Looks suspicious.
yes even i am also getting the same doupt mobike how come tv9 was present their exactly at that time...that too what was the need for them to be their today.....
Old 18th May 2007, 18:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Situation is pretty calm in Banjara hills.. Heavy traffic as usual. I am drving back from Hyd to Pune tomorrow morning. Lets hope these anti-social elements dont extend my stay by indulging in rioting/calling for a bandh etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks