Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2021, 18:20   #1
BHPian

How to recover lost documents issued by the MMD Mumbai (DCE, GOC, COC, CDC)

HOW TO RECOVER LOST DOCUMENTS ISSUED BY MMD (MERCANTILE MARINE DEPARTMENT) IN INDIA LOST DCE

I have started a new thread as I didn't found anything on the Internet and it took almost 4-5Months to recover my lost documents from the MMD Mumbai.

Kindly note, no one will pick the call in MMD and no one will bother to reply to your emails.
There is no way to contact them and you need to visit the office to get this information. They will not tell you everything one day One, will ask few documents and then you wait for 15 days for another email asking for more documents.
They will keep on asking for more and more documents until all the documents are collected by them. Finally, they will send you the checklists and then you have to wait for another month to get your duplicate document.

You need to follow the below steps to recover any lost document:

Kindly make 2 sets of all the below-mentioned documents as they will ask for all documents in the set of two.

1) Register the FIR at the local Police station for the lost document stating the document number, issued by/on validity, etc.

2) Publish the Advertisement in 2 National newspapers: One English, 2nd Hindi stating the document number and your address as well as a phone number to send it to you in case anyone finds it. Buy 2 sets of both the newspapers. You can use this website https://www.releasemyad.com/. They need FIR to publish your advertisement. I found them pocket-friendly.

3) Make 3 Notary attested Affidavit stating everything that you have lost the document and have registered the FIR number, date, and location where it was registered. Lost Document details i.e. Type of document, Document number and validity, issued by whom, and when. Details of newspapers in which it was published i.e name of newspaper and date it was published on 100 RS affidavits. (2 for MMD and one for yourself in case you need it in the future)

4) Wait for 45 Days as MMD's procedure is they can issue a duplicate certificate only after 45 days of the advertisement being published.

After 45 days of the date of affidavit, you need to fill the application forms for duplicate certificate and pay the 3000/- RS fee on Bharat Kosh https://bharatkosh.gov.in/ for the appropriate MMD ( in my case it was MMD Mumbai). Down below I have attached the photograph for your assistance.

5) Take the company letter stating the request to issue the duplicate certificate mentioning the certificate number and type of certificate.

6) Make 2 sets of the documents requested in the duplicate request form and courier everything to the MMD. Make sure you send the 2 sets and not the one set. Affidavit 2, newspapers 2, FIR one original and one xerox, basically everything 2 as mentioned in the application form attached.

7) Send all the documents through email to the MMD and wait for the reply. Checklists are attached here. On the envelope write the "Subject: Issuance of Duplicate Certificate (Deck Department)" and send it to the appropriate MMD. In my case, it was MMD Mumbai so the address is:
Nautical Branch,
Mercantile Marine Department.
1st Floor, Nav Bhavan Building,
R.K. Kamani Road,
Ballard Estate,Fort,
Mumbai - 400001

Original Checklists are attached down below.

Screenshots of the Bharat Kosh payment and the checklists:

How to recover lost documents issued by the MMD Mumbai (DCE, GOC, COC, CDC)-photo20210928172847.jpgHow to recover lost documents issued by the MMD Mumbai (DCE, GOC, COC, CDC)-lostcaseapplicationform_1_.jpegHow to recover lost documents issued by the MMD Mumbai (DCE, GOC, COC, CDC)-lostcasechecklist_1_.jpeg

Mods: Kindly Merge/Move if there is any existing thread or erase if feel inappropriate.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx LOST CASE APPLICATION FORM(1).xlsx (12.6 KB, 168 views)
File Type: docx LOST CASE CHECK LIST(1).docx (13.2 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by rpmmachine : 28th September 2021 at 18:25. Reason: updated
rpmmachine is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 16:50   #2

Re: How to recover lost documents issued by the MMD Mumbai (DCE, GOC, COC, CDC)

Hi
Indeed a very helpful post with great details. Any idea sir if the same procedure is to be followed for a lost EXN-45?
Old 9th January 2024, 01:23   #3
BHPian

I don't know the number of sailors here, but I hope this will get a hit on Google for fellow mariners looking for this information. Thank you rpmmachine for such a useful thread. Touchwood nobody has to go through this hassle.

Happy motoring.
adrift@life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 01:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmmachine View Post
You need to follow the below steps to recover any lost document:
Obtaining documents from the MMD is indeed a travail, most Indian seafarers will vouch for that, though things have improved drastically over the past decade or so.

Apparently MUI insures these documents at a cost and one can claim the same if they're lost, any idea about that? Also any idea if the MUI assists members in obtaining the documents from the DG Shipping?

Last edited by Eddy : 20th March 2024 at 02:16. Reason: Quoting a large post hampers readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks