Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Has your online shopping reduced over the years?
Yes 52 17.69%
No 242 82.31%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 19:48   #1
BHPian

Has your online shopping reduced over the years?

"If it is too good to be true, it is most likely not true".

On couple of occasions when I purchased mobile phones online on more than normal discounts, I ended up with lemons. First, LG V30, I think its front facing camera must have been 0.8 MP and then severe heating issues. Next, Samsung S9, bigger than normal discounts, phone received with the box seal tampered, most likely to have been a refurbished or returned device, Amazon refused to take it back.

Over the years, whatever I've purchased online mostly ended up being wrong purchases.

On the contrary, last month I furnished my Bangalore home from Croma store. And I picked up everything from TV, to refrigerator, to Washing Machine, etc. and I was fully satisfied. I was given a good discount and at the time of billing I was given additional discount as my purchase exceeded 1 lakh. For furniture, I scored through a couple of stores, was impressed with one of the owners, his prices were fair as well, all I told him was I just need top quality products and I will pay the price you ask for. He delivered me fantastic sofa sets, King size and Queen size cots, and mattresses and pillows. The products were top notch and exceeded my expectations and the prices were very attractive as well

Recently, I had to purchase some clothes. I was in Blackberrys at 10 am when the shop opened and no customer was there, I picked up 5 shirts and some other clothing after trying them all, with full satisfaction. Again, I got almost 15% discount as my purchase exceeded 15k.

A lot of times we think we are getting good discounts online, but a lot of online purchases don't meet our expectations as well. And one wrong purchase could wipe out all the gains made in other purchases.

I hardly make any online purchases nowadays. With brick and mortar shops improving so much, and the experience of seeing and feeling the things in person, and with good in-store purchase discounts, I dont think online shopping makes much sense except for items such as books, mobiles, etc.

What do you think?

Last edited by CliffHanger : 27th October 2021 at 19:49.
CliffHanger is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 20:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Has your online shopping reduced over the years?

Now a days we get some gifts/reward in the form of Amazon gift cards! This increased our online purchases. We even buy our groceries and vegetables online from the local store.
Latheesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 20:52   #3
BHPian

A big NOO

My online shopping is now at an all time high. And it has been ever increasing.

What a few years ago seemed to be a huge amount for online shopping, is now a weekly expense online.

Major increase has been in the department of clothing. Especially with easy return policy and multiple brands and options available on single clicks.

However, there are still a few things which I prefer to buy from the shop.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th October 2021 at 22:01. Reason: typo: not > now
iamahunter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:11   #4
BHPian

Thanks man for putting pen to my thoughts and starting this thread.
Although I didn't have any major bad experience with online shopping but for many reasons my online shopping has reduced to only a trickle and to only those products which one have to look hard to find in physical stores.
One of the major driver for online shopping boost was discounts. But I think these discounts are misleading and physical stores are cheaper. All the mobile phones I bought in the last 3 years, physical stores gave better prices. Same goes for appliances. I bought a dishwasher last year and difference was minimum 5k!
There is no guarantee if you are going to be delivered fresh lot material or old stock.
Besides at physical stores I love the convenience of paying in cash which is my preferred medium.
Also I detest the idea of credit card discounts or cashbacks or such schemes. I mean in an online purchase that we make, all the parties i.e. the manufacturer, the seller, the online marketplace like Amazon & the bank are there to make profits. Then who is financing these discounts/cashbacks/schemes? Why don't they reduce the price of a product upfront?
neeraj0272 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If the question is more on the volume of online shopping-yes definitely increased significantly over the years. But if the question is on the spread of products that are purchased online, probably not that much. Some stuff like pants/jeans/home appliances I always buy from physical stores due to various reasons and that has not really changed.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:29   #6
BHPian

A big NO. My purchase over the years has increased tremendously that I end up searching for a single bolt or a screwdriver online. Groceries, electronics, clothes, car parts and even basic necessities are being ordered online by me. The only time I buy from offline stores is when I need the item immediately and cannot wait long.

The main reason for buying online is the cost factor. Maybe not everything is priced less but atleast 70% of the items I buy cost lesser online. With the bank discounts or reward points, it just makes the deal sweeter. I wouldn't mind going to offline stores but everytime I go to an offline store and search something, the same item I find it cheaper online. This has made me altogether an online shopper!
logicalidiot is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 22:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Depends!

In Amazon, I mostly buy accessories which are low key items. For slightly big ticket, I look at the vendor. Cloudtail has been very good. The most expensive item I ever brought in Amazon were the Diono car seats that were not available in India, was shipped out of US.

I've bought big ticket items directly from vendor sites. Sunday Mattress, Oneplus for example.

Size sensitive items like clothes, I don't rely online. Even in a brick and mortar store you need to visit the fitting room multiple times to find a match.

This is in India. Outside India, living without a car, I was practically living like a Dotcomguy where I was maximising things I brought online so I could buy the bare minimum from brick and mortar stores
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 07:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Post-lockdown, my online shopping went up many fold. Earlier it was miniscule. Even yesterday as I read about the climbing Covid cases (New Strain) in Bangalore, and talks of restrictions - my mind was asking 'are we stocked up'. I'm doing a lot more rides than usual fearing closed borders, and updating gear etc.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 08:04   #9
BHPian

This is how I would put it. My overall shopping has reduced post covid as I spend more carefully thinking about the future but yes my online shopping has overall increased because of the safety, overall ease and better deals online. I have seen that post covid the general stores are not willing to give as much discounts on items which they used to give pre covid.

For any branded items it is online for me however for non branded items I do check for the local stores.
sunbaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 08:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
A lot of times we think we are getting good discounts online, but a lot of online purchases don't meet our expectations as well. And one wrong purchase could wipe out all the gains made in other purchases.
This is true and unless you know the product, its MRP and its retail price at your location there's always a chance of being taken for a ride with those discounts.

Have bought some phones and tabs at launch at "introductory prices" which 6-8 months later were being sold at lower prices, like the Galaxy Tab A7.

Having said that I still order from online primarily because in a small city the options are limited. I would love to go to a Croma store and see things for real if it existed. So I order from them via Tata Cliq

But a lot of things like grocery, clothes, footwear etc. I still prefer physical stores and a lot of things aren't available at my location too. For those stuff I am thankful that these platforms exist.

Not to forget that the effort involved on dealing with traffic and parking, going to multiple stores to find the product which isn't "popular" is a big factor in purchasing online since most of the times I know exactly what I want

Sometimes the attitude of the shopkeeper is a big irritant especially if you're going to a "big/specialized" store in a "small" city. The owners think they know everything and probably they're wasting their time talking to someone who is asking questions on a 500Rs product instead of taking their word for gospel.

In terms of number of items though my purchases are increasing, and voted likewise.

Last edited by shancz : 28th October 2021 at 08:24. Reason: ccl inp
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 09:17   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My online shopping has greatly increased over the years. Now, we even buy groceries and particular (Keto) varieties of pizza bread, burgers etc. online.

Lots of junk on Amazon though, so there are some articles that I prefer offline purchases for (e.g. perfumes, toiletries).

Also, for big ticket items like TVs + air conditioners + other electronics, I prefer Vijay Sales because they price match online rates and offer a 5-year extended warranty. This warranty is a boon, especially with ACs. It even covers gas leaks etc., like a proper "bumper to bumper" protection.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 09:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quite the opposite actually. Thanks to covid induced house arrests, online has become ‘the way of shopping’ for us. Right from wall hanger to clothes to groceries. Everything online. Only veggies I buy from local store.

1 more reason for increased online shopping lately is the advent of these credit cards with great offers . For example I got the flipkart axis card for purchasing an iPhone. Had checked retail store same day and the prices on flipkart BBD were way better. Similarly bought other stuff like Samsung bud+ , tab A7, etc for good discounts on icici card.

So, voted NO.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th October 2021 at 09:20.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 09:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Depends really.

Amazon and Flipkart aren't as good on pricing as compared to many brick and motor shops, atleast in the metros. So I would prefer seeing the product in the flesh before buying it, but sometimes you have these flash sales for mobiles etc. and one does get tempted.

Grocery shopping on the other hand has been much easier to do online, with many of the biggies encouraging one to buy online. Saves time and the hassle of lugging stuff home. So, a lot of that has shifted online.

Garments, shoes etc, I still much prefer to try it out and then buy it, so irrespective of the discounts, I always buy that in the store.
Old 28th October 2021, 09:59   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it has changed and increased exponentially. I almost buy everything online except for a select few items that I need to inspect/check before purchase.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 11:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ha, a big NO In fact it is somewhat twice now comparing to the previous years

The time saved, the fuel saved, the discount and cashback received are unparalleled.

Over and above the stuff will reach at our 3rd floor door steps without breaking a sweat.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks