Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 17:27   #16
BHPian

Re: How to get data on what is most searched / sold on the online platforms

Hello TechSavvy!

Glad to know you are looking at explanding your business in a new vertical. B2B is easier but quite monotonous and frankly, B2C can work out more profitable and the scope of expansion is in your control.

I am in a similar situation but I am in the leather industry. We manufacture and export high quality wallets and bags to leading brands in Europe but I have been wanting to enter B2C market, first with focus in India and then worldwide. Have done a fair bit of research on this and here are somethings i'd like to share:

1) I don't think going the Amazon or Flipkart route will be benificial: Why?

a) Far too much competiton: Just like we never go beyond 1st page on Google, we generally don't go to the second Amazon page when looking for a product.

Fix for this? You can have your product in the first page by advertising but then you won't have the rating that will come close to the best sellers for months if not years. and the rating factor is what will prevent people from clicking on your product. Also per clicks, you'll pay amazon extra for the ad placement.

You'll have to carve out your profits which will be very thin because you're in a place trying to compete with other businesses like you but you also have to pay for advertising. The progress will be very slow.

b) Just like some of bhpians mentioned, there are a lot of people who would not prefer to buy products such as t-shirts, shoes, sandals, etc.

Plus another issue i can see arising in your product lineup is that everyone's feet is differently shaped in some form or the other (you would know better about this)

Personally for me, Brand A size 10 fits tight but Brand B size 10 is a tad too wide and it's Brand C that hits the sweet spot. And this happens after trying on the shoes and walking inside the shop. Your online customer will have this trial phase after the product has been shipped and paid for. Not having the product hit the sweet spot would have them return/exchange your product which is a hassel and loss of packaging materials plus your brand building on a point is cancelled for a person to a level.

What i can suggest you and this is a similar route that i am going in is to find a specific product line up- For Eg. diabetic friendly shoes and sell it online via your own website: Advertise via google, Instagram, Facebook and so on. Look into influencer marketing as fashion products can gain a lot from that.

Your niche product will help you stand out a bit, it'll be easier to spot you from a distance. Selling from your own website has it's own share of cons but for me, it's working out decently.

Once you have a fair bit of knowledge about your target audience and your brand is somewhat present, you can scale up by going Amazon and Flipkart route. You can also look at Myntra, Nykka Fashion and more. and as always, once a brand is built, you can again go back to B2B and supply to brand stores and scale up f a s t!

Wishing you the best of luck for this one!
Hope you making something cool out of it
omranga98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 16:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to get data on what is most searched / sold on the online platforms

Not directly related to the original question, but:

i had placed an order on Moglix.com for a couple of plastic crates. The order accepted, but yet to be disptached. I get a call today from someone who says they can send me the crates. I spoke to the person, and she sends me their bank details - of "Ansh enterprises", Delhi.

Wondering how they got my details from Moglix, and if I should actually do the payment to them. Price wise, a little better than moglix. Total amount wont be much - about 1700. But the call comes out of the blue, and I do get some doubts.

Note:
Mods, pls move to any appropriate thread.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks