Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 08:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Bappi Lahiri - the Legendary Music composer and singer is no more!

Bappi Lahiri or Bappi da as he was fondly known passed away Yesterday late night in Mumbai. He was 69 years young.

Bappi Lahiri - the Legendary Music composer and singer is no more!-bappilahiri1200.jpg

The music industry has lost one more legend!

Two things that immediately come to my mind when I hear his name is "I am a Disco Dancer" and of course the many gold chains he wore. The guy who introduced contemporary music to us.

Apart from the I'm a Disco Dancer, some of his famous hits I just can't forget are "Raat Baaki...", "Humko Aaj Kal Hain Intezaar...", "Tamma Tamma", "Yaad Aa Raha Hai", "Yaar Bina Chain Kahan Re..."

One interesting fact was that his song was super famous outside the country too...especially in Russia. I didn't know this fact till one day a Russian colleague of mine had visited Bengaluru and I'd taken him for a dinner. There was live music in that restaurant and this guy requested the singer to sing "Jimmy Jimmy aaja aaja"! The Singer was so happy that a foreigner requested for such a good song and he invited him on stage and thanked him.

Another thing I remember him for is that he was the most famous in school Fancy dress competitions. Very easy to dress up as and easily recognizable!

While his love for gold was pretty obvious, it's a strange coincidence that his last post on Instagram was captioned "Old is always Gold"
May his soul rest in peace
Bappi Lahiri - the Legendary Music composer and singer is no more!-untitled.png

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 16th February 2022 at 09:23.
hemanth.anand is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 09:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bappi Lahiri - the Legendary Music composer and singer is no more!

This Kishore Kumar and Bappi Da song comes to mind

NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 09:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Bappi Lahiri or Bappi da as he was fondly known passed away Yesterday late night in Mumbai. He was 69 years young.

Attachment 2273164

One interesting fact was that his song was super famous outside the country too...especially in Russia. I didn't know this fact till one day a Russian colleague of mine had visited Bengaluru and I'd taken him for a dinner. There was live music in that restaurant and this guy requested the singer to sing "Jimmy Jimmy aaja aaja"! The Singer was so happy that a foreigner requested for such a good song and he invited him on stage and thanked him.

Attachment 2273165
The song and Mithun were extremely popular in USSR.

He had done a few songs different from his usual peppy ones, Melodious 'Mana Ho Tum' rendered by KJ Yesudas comes to mind
rajesh1868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 09:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a day before we lost Geetashree Sandhya Mukherjee- a giant amongst the singers. People from outside West Bengal might not have heard her but she was amongst the finest singers of the country. May her great soul rest in peace.

And now, Bappi Lahiri is gone too. I actually found him very intriguing. I say that since he openly plagiarised many English hits and blatantly passed them as his own and on the other hand, he gave us some brilliant compositions which are hummed to this day and will continue till eternity. Chalte Chalte, Sharaabi, Prem Pratiggya, Disco Dancer, Sailaab and so much more. He gave me one of my favourite songs of all time. Among the plethora of songs sung by the legendary Kishore Kumar and set to music by Bappi Lahiri, my favourite is a song sung by his son Amit Kumar and is from the movie Sailaab.

Sharing the link of the song which has better sound quality then the movie clip. People go away but their memories remain, rest in peace Bappi Lahiri.

Quote:
One interesting fact was that his song was super famous outside the country too...especially in Russia. I didn't know this fact till one day a Russian colleague of mine had visited Bengaluru and I'd taken him for a dinner. There was live music in that restaurant and this guy requested the singer to sing "Jimmy Jimmy aaja aaja"!
The reason is that the song was translated in Russian and Chinese and it became a rage. The song itself is a cover version of another song but Jimmy Jimmy became an anthem. Later another singer made a cover of this song and it was very successful as well. Forgot the name of the artist !

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 16th February 2022 at 09:58.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 19:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

One of the legends of popular Hindi music scene. RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Didnt Bappi Lahri sue someone international musician for plagiarising his Kaliyon k chaman song? He won too
Old 16th February 2022, 20:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

RIP Bappi Da! I went to see his show a decade back and it was surely very entertaining.
Old 16th February 2022, 21:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Amul Tribute to disco King and legendary Indian singer/composer Bappi Lahiri.

Bappi Lahiri - the Legendary Music composer and singer is no more!-20220216_213215.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 22:32   #8
BHPian

RIP Bappida! One of the many successful Bengalis in Bollywood and beyond!

However, this should also be a wake up call! Obstructive sleep apnea is to be taken seriously! In India, a "sound" sleep is a sign of success....well, all the gold couldn't save the man! Raat baki...??
Old 16th February 2022, 22:32   #9
BHPian

I had a chance to speak to Bappi Da once after Dirty Picture had been released. This was courtesy of a friend's brother who works in the film industry and that day he happened to be with us having dinner. Bappi Da was really happy to know that we had liked the album and also asked me about what I do etc. He was kind enough to extend an invitation to us to his house in future which we never took up, unfortunately.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 23:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

I loved his music. I always have a Bappi Da song mixed with the likes of Madan Mohan (my favourite) and OP Nayyar in my playlists.

Om Shanti!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks