Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2022, 19:34   #16
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Official Reviews | Why no video reviews?

Prefer text reviews for the following reasons:

1. I would prefer a good detailed image and ponder over the feature I am reading/reviewing for a while. This is as opposed to a video where I would either get a fleeting glimpse of that feature or it would be too long and boring. Each reader may prefer to focus on a different aspect of the review based on interest level.

Covering all aspects of a car review would make it a very lengthy video.

Text with images allows us to scroll as required in a much more convenient fashion. Can spread the time on an aspect as per convenience or requirement.

2. Voice over or music could be distracting. Difficult to skip if I am not interested in that particular aspect.

3. Quoting a video or aspect of video is not easy. I cannot snip a video section and refer to it but could do that on text. Of course its possible on video as well but the effort is higher and loses the simplicity.

4. Less disturbance to others unless I am using a head-phone. In these times, would prefer to avoid a headphone where possible (already many hours with a head phone).

5. As mentioned earlier, searches are easier.

Videos do have their value but as an introduction and not for detail. On this forum, detail is what would be sought by many.

Last edited by subbarp : 17th February 2022 at 19:38.
subbarp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 19:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
<snip>
So the question... why does Team BHP not do Video Reviews of cars?
I request other forum members also to pitch in with your opinion on this.
Regards
I think logistics is the main reason. A decade ago when bandwidth was worth gold watching a video was a luxury but I pondered over the same especially with regards to the sites I frequented then Engadget, Digit etc. Excellent reviews but why no videos?

Eventually they started doing the video reviews and they were horrid. Even though their articles were immaculate, the same words being spoken on video with shoddy camera work and editing made it unpalatable.

Also with the amount of work it takes into getting a well written article itself is a mountainous task. Asking someone to climb the same mountain again to plant the same flag at it's peak is exhausting, time consuming and resource hungry.

I for one love the articles and reading up on the minutest of details, but a video review would be icing on the cake and I would support that if possible.

This is to take nothing away from the review team who do a fantastic job and words of appreciation fall short to describe the ingenuity and quality they bring to the Indian Car scene
Old 17th February 2022, 19:52   #18
BANNED

It would be a good idea to compliment the existing format with a 30 minute video review. Infact the reach would be far more than the written review. It will be a win-win situation as those who want a written format can enjoy that and the newer generation will get quality information in a format they like. Video review need not be as exhaustive as a written format.

Obviously it will take more effort, but it’s something that should be pondered upon. And the monetary benefits will be an added advantage for those putting in the effort. Infact there is hardly any good Autovolggers who are objective to the level of Team-bhp, so there is a huge unmet demand. I’m hopeful that the team will soon find the right ones who can do the video reviews.
Old 17th February 2022, 19:57   #19
BHPian

A 2 and a half Harry Potter movie could hardly include the entire content of the book. Similar issues will arise with in-depth reviews like the ones in T-BHP.

Plus, a text review can include any number of pictures of details and any length of explanations as well. Also, there are reviews that I take 5 minutes to read to some that I take 30 minutes to - meaning i can decide how I read. That flexibility is beautiful with text reviews.

So my vote - Text Reviews
freakmuzik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 21:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to detailed reviews, Alex is my favourite. No one goes into details as he does.

If, at all, our mods are thinking of doing videos, I would suggest, at least look at his videos once. A typical review would last 25-30 mins at least. And he covers stuff, which no one else bothers to do.

Visual medium has its own advantages. In these times, videos capture more eyeballs than text and images. Ask the youtubers who take bits from tbhp and make it into a two minute video.

If the mods do give it a thought, I'm sure fellow tbhpians will come out in support for camera work and editing.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 17th February 2022 at 21:21.
Old 17th February 2022, 21:32   #21
BANNED

I'll say, along with the text review, the same points can be created as a video as well with chapters, and attach it to the review thread. So, to each, he / she can get their preferred medium!

I'll prefer a video review any time if it contains the kind of information a Team-BHP text review carries - whether it is a 20 minute video or 2 hour video.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 22:12   #22
BHPian

My view is little different from many. I love to read all the vehicle reviews in this forum but I also watch video reviews on youtube. But then the type of review quality and unbiased explanations which I see in TBHP is not there is any video reviews.

I would say that the written reviews should remain as it is but as an additional category the video reviews can be added. It can start with small, basic reviews and the community can give constructive feedback for improvements and as we go we might be able to see some really nice video reviews.

Video reviews might help in adding more like minded people to TBHP community. Also it will reach to people who are not the reading types and depend on videos for all their information.
dextor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 22:21   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Never say never! And … change is the only constant -

TBHP moved from the long format reviews which came out 2 weeks+ after a car launch to the quick short format ones (which is still better than what you get from the mags). Maybe sometime in the future we will see video reviews as well
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 22:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

i think the USP of the forum is text based reviews where one reads and understands the information, instead of just gulping it down like fast food which most of the so called online experts who are actually " influencers" try to push through. Then again, there are so many folks ranging from kids who look like they may have barely passed high school to some journos who make every review look dramatic or intentionally filled with wisecracks or those for whom every car has to be revved its nut-bolts off in the 2nd or 3rd gear on a highway..
Amidst this chaos, a team bhp review feels so much calmer to read and process through.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 06:53   #25
BHPian

Let me give you an analogy:

A lot of companies have started moving to PPT based reviews. The content is graphical, commentary is crisp, slides are "interesting". However, these PPTs say nothing. It is easy to obfuscate information through short bullet points and not-to-scale charts where one doesn't have to explain in detail.

The most successful companies still insist on word memos for reviews (read about Amazon and their 6-page memo). Yes the content is long and one needs to put in an effort to read / assimilate the information, but the creator can't obfuscate information - he/she has to talk about the content/situation/product/performance in detail.

This is why I prefer text-based reviews on Team BHP.
andafunda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 07:01   #26
BHPian

I think a video demonstration of anything can only give you an overview of things for grasping superficial stuff immediately but, in depth understanding of any material happens best when read from books, simply gives you more time to ponder over thought provoking things. I'd prefer books over computer based training any day, just my personal opinion.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 09:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Official Reviews | Why no video reviews?

Agree on the need to have video reviews. Nothing like actually pointing to a part, showing the operation while talking about it. But it is lot of effort.
Of course, text reviews should continue.
I like what Autocar India does: Video review and text review based on the same.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 12:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
Hello All

So the question... why does Team BHP not do Video Reviews of cars?

Regards
With video reviews, this^ will not be possible. Quoting part of the post that you want to discuss.
Secondly, as mentioned earlier by others, search feature would not be as easy as it is now.
Lastly, during the amount of time spent in post processing and getting the video up to standards for a public forum, moderators can probably create 2 or more reviews in written format, that are as elaborate and detailed as we are used to on TBHP.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 14:37   #29
BHPian

Thank you all for your opinion on this topic. Like you all, I too love the detailed text reviews that Team BHP publishes. My thoughts were not to replace the text reviews but to supplement them with video reviews.

On the other note, if Team BHP creates and publishes their video reviews on Youtube, it will become another source of revenue for Team BHP. I certainly do not know the details but I have heard that Youtube pays the content owner for every view. Just a thought...
BayB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 19:10   #30
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

In the last year or so, manufacturers have moved to several stages of launch (teaser, unveil, pre-launch, media launch, media test drive, price reveal launch) over a long period of time for which I have lost count and the hype has reached epic proportions for each car launch. This has made the entire auto journos and forums run the race for information at each stage.

Not everyone needs the information quickly at the exact time of launch. Some need it to get the feel for which video review will be quite valuable. However, when you look at the review after 6 months or so, the detailed text based review will add more value with the details felt and written. When you buy the car after reading the written review, you can really connect with what is written more than the videos.

Not exactly but somewhat related to this topic, there are two points I would like to highlight on the reviews when I was reading Team-BHP for my car selection -

I really miss the specs comparison that used to be in the first detailed post of the official review to see how it stacks up against the competition including pricing (This is partially satisfied by 'What car' section currently) as well the detailed official review after spending the time with car for weeks.

Another area is about the variants - Generally the reviews are all of top variant since media test drives are done in top spec cars and the showroom display & test drives we get from dealers are also mostly top variant. So essentially brochure is the only way you can 'feel' (or lack of) a Mid or Low variant and buy it. This is where the YouTube videos score by having a video of each variant but have to tolerate the subtle marketing pitch.

So, where possible, the below can be considered -

1. Making these media test drives as Official new car previews only until the car is actually launched and include a video for exterior, interior, etc. for ready consumption if possible.

2. Still do the old fashioned detailed reviews, spec comparisons and update the relevant posts.

Another option is to allow a good video that is meeting the quality standard of at least few other variants done by Team-BHP mods/members that can be pinned/linked in the actual review.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks