Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2022, 19:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Hooligans on the loose at Ladakh

Sigh!
Some things never change.
Many years back, my friend and his wife had visited Ranthambore. As expected they were pretty excited with the early morning Safari they had booked hoping to catch a glimpse of some magnificent rawrrrs. In fact I remember he had bought a new camera lens just for that safari.

Anyway, they set off on elephant back, in a convoy and eventually reached a spot where the guides hand signalled to each other and pointed in a certain direction. Their guide whispered there was a tiger about to emerge from the foliage. Everyone sharpened their senses in keen anticipation, cameras and eyes ready for action. Before they knew it, a magnificent beast stepped out into the open and paused gazing intently at the elephants. There was pin drop silence which was soon shattered by a feminine scream: "Jo jo, Pappu tiger jo" (Pappu look at that tiger). Everyone's reaction was exactly as you think it was, chivalry be damned.

Moral of the story: Some Indians do not know how to behave in a public place. This current batch of jokers are from the same stock.

Sadly, this fantastic attitude is not limited to tourist spots or holy places. Its global.

Exhibit A:
RedTerrano is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 15:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Exhibit A:
Slightly off-topic:
The officer in the video sounds well-trained on how to handle unruly persons. This is the kind of training that I wish our police officers were also provided with.
chinchu.c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 16:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Is this type of incidents happening just at that place? I do not think so. This type of lawlessness is happening all over the north I guess.

Last two days I was in Delhi. This is what I witnessed in the Noida-Greater Noida Express way:

A private owned i10 being driven with a siren, yes literally the siren that you typically see in police cars and ambulances. The guy would turn on his siren when there are cars in front of him, until they give way. Nobody cares!

This will not happen in my place for sure. If someone does this, the traffic cops will have a field day. They will catch him, they will register a case against him, and they will make sure that it appears in the news too.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th April 2022 at 16:48.
clevermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 18:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
How I wish the DSG had given up just as the car was in the water and the info screen lit up with christmas lights!!
good one. I cannot imagine another place where I could have read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
What we need is a set of stringent rules with severe implications, absence of which and the craze for Social Media glorification is a fast forward recipe for destroying all our natural beauty.
Ditto.
The problem is countrywide with some variations as I collect from the posts and personal experiences.
The solution will be similar in nature but this is something I have my doubts on as littering and such nuisance is still not considered severe enough to attract strict enforcement, IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatafanatic View Post
they were badly shaken but hopefully learned the lesson.
that's a lesson which is guaranteed to be remembered.
Another novel way to make sure offenders don't repeat their mistakes.
Old 15th April 2022, 21:35   #35

One can understand if these things happened 30 years back when our country was relatively poorer and technology was costly.

Today after the fines for traffic violations were raised, if one were really serious to curb traffic violations, it is not really a big deal.

If I take Bangalore for example - roughly 80% of the riders dont wear helmets - this when the fine is 500 rupees. we dont need some IIT/IIM guy topping UPSC to figure out a solution for this problem.

How about the following solution?
We got plenty of unemployed in India. Buy a decent monopod or tripod or anything with a gimbal. Buy the latest Go Pro or any other camera which has a very fast shutter speed and capture 4k Video. Total one time cost of this setup say is 1 lakh. Say you pay the unemployed 500 rupees a day.

All he has to do is just stand on any main road at one place, preferably near signals or any other part where the riders slow down - maybe a speed breaker ..whatever.

Assuming the camera can capture number plates of one rider per minute...that is 50 per hour and in a 8 hour shift..say 300

S0 300X500 fine = 1,50,000 per day from one person with a camera..you are recovering your investment in one day. You are providing employment to a person. Of course this footage needs to be edited and photos and videos made, cases created..etc which can be done by another person who gets paid 1000 a day.

No matter whatever angle you look at - this is a very lucrative business for our traffic police. In a matter of one year when every riders gets hit with fines of 5000 - 95% of the violations will stop.

Taking this a bit further. traffic police can buy an electric scooter and have one guy in plainclothes to fix the camera on the scooter and drive inside smaller roads and take footage of violators...

These are low hanging fruits which not only will get them thousands of crores in fines every year

Once a pilot is successful for helmet violators - we can do the same for signal jumpers and other violators - simple easy solution...will gather legal fines, provides employment, scares the violators....

WHY IS THIS NOT DONE?
arnprasad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 10:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnprasad View Post
How about the following solution?
We got plenty of unemployed in India. Buy a decent monopod or tripod or anything with a gimbal. Buy the latest Go Pro or any other camera which has a very fast shutter speed and capture 4k Video. Total one time cost of this setup say is 1 lakh. Say you pay the unemployed 500 rupees a day.

All he has to do is just stand on any main road at one place, preferably near signals or any other part where the riders slow down - maybe a speed breaker ..whatever.
Not trying to discourage. This sounds good in theory until you realize we are a country where plastic light deflectors on highway dividers get stolen. Solar panels, LED bulbs and batteries installed at forts and gardens are stolen.
Rs. 1 L equipment given to unsupervised unemployed person at a remote travel destination? It will be gone before the day ends. 500 Rs per day be damned.
If you can't trust people with something free as nature, you absolutely can't trust them with expensive equipment.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 11:43   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This type of lawlessness is happening all over the north I guess.
Pls don't generalize un necessarily. Such stupidity is prevalent across the country. A single lone car cannot be the bench mark for whole of region. People with even a inch of powerful connections across diaspora use these sirens & hooters.

Fact remains that people drunk on money & power do not pay heed to rules & law of land. They know that the paper bills & corruption in system will get them out of such situations if caught.

Example is this thread subject themselves. Have anything happened to them. Nothing that i have read in media or anywhere. Most probably they are well connected and getting ready for their next adventure.
.sushilkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 13:30   #38
BHPian

I see us being hypocrites here. This is the same attitude I see in my neighborhood. Every locality in Bengaluru. After a clean new road (at least the top layer replaced) is laid (in fact even before it is laid, e.g. Sampige Rd), it is littered with garbage, and you will find us parking our vehicles all over the place. Same case with our vegetable markets - the moment a market is rebuilt, within a month the place will be littered with rotten vegetable scraps.

If not us, we "allow" our drivers to do the dirty work of breaking rules and do our littering for us, parking in unfinished areas, and generally being a nuisance to everyone.

Our administration is doing a great job of training people to behave this way, and I'm sure that it took a lot of convincing to make them understand why this type of behavior modification is necessary for creating the right mindset for the future. I honestly think we should stop complaining. We are like this only!
Old 17th April 2022, 19:07   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Not trying to discourage. This sounds good in theory until you realize we are a country where plastic light deflectors on highway dividers get stolen. Solar panels, LED bulbs and batteries installed at forts and gardens are stolen.
Rs. 1 L equipment given to unsupervised unemployed person at a remote travel destination? It will be gone before the day ends. 500 Rs per day be damned.
If you can't trust people with something free as nature, you absolutely can't trust them with expensive equipment.
Obviously it will come with lots of checks and controls. Government does hire contractors for all sorts of things. For example we have these folks who monitor mask usage on the streets, then I see security in Indira Canteens - this one is very similar. - what we call as marshals. Or else they can auction off areas like they auction off parking places for example to private contractors. We see how well the private contractors ensure parking charges are paid or take off vehicles parked at wrong places. This strategy will ensure day to day monitoring is taken off the hands of the traffic police.

Like the other gentleman commented - we may not be as bad as rest of the population but there are times when we too violate the law if it is convenient for us. All it needs is one or two sms that we got fined 500 or a 1000 for parking at the wrong place and we will be doubly careful. Am sure given an average Indian two wheeler owner makes a monthly income of around 30K, a fine of 1000 a month is pretty hard to take. All we need is a mechanism where these fines are generated and paid on regular basis for people to follow the rules.
arnprasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 18:13   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

An example of citizen vigilance to monitor the kind of behaviour the state wants to control:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5299661 (New York man earns US$ 125,000 just by reporting idling commercial vehicles)

Obviously this will need a lot of discussion/planning - how to ensure the system is not abused, verification, prevention of retaliation, etc etc.

But just goes to show if the political will to eliminate something is there, different solutions are possible. But need to start with basic laws first, starting with anti-littering in our country.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks