Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 13:11   #181
BANNED

Re: Wild Animals - A survival Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I'm not sure what caused this incident, but it is scary. The elephant chases a reversing truck. In one swift motion, it rips the windshield (? bonnet) off and then just runs away. I wonder if they could have done anything once the elephant started charging.
Had been there in November-December 2019 for a safari trip, it most probably is the same elephant that charged into our jeep, but luckily we escaped without any damages. The elephant is in its pregnancy, it is attacking everyone who is passing-by.

Didn't have many photos with me, as my friend did most of the clicking part while I just enjoyed the place, found few after some digging:

Wild Animals - A survival Guide-whatsapp-image-20200411-12.59.38.jpeg

Wild Animals - A survival Guide-whatsapp-image-20200411-12.59.37.jpeg

Wild Animals - A survival Guide-whatsapp-image-20200411-12.59.37-1.jpeg

Wild Animals - A survival Guide-whatsapp-image-20200411-13.05.32.jpeg
Our road that day. This one is clicked by my friend while the above not so good photos were clicked by me
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 11:06   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
it most probably is the same elephant that charged into our jeep, but luckily we escaped without any damages. The elephant is in its pregnancy, it is attacking everyone who is passing-by.
The elephant that attacked the truck is a tusker and this is female elephant. No doubting the fact that even this elephant can charge. But elephants before giving a charge there will be signs that the charge is coming which can help in ensuring that it does not get into a dangerous situation.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 11:38   #183
Senior - BHPian

I think the title of this thread is misleading- Its the wild animals that need to survive the human onslaught of deforestation, highways-through-forest projects and encroachments. All the incidents/accidents are inevitable under the circumstances. I personally feel that all safari trips must be severely curtailed . It is evident from the current lockdown that when you give the other beings a wide berth, they are able to manage much better on their own. They respect the natural order, unlike human beings who always question orders.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 12:38   #184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The elephant that attacked the truck is a tusker and this is female elephant.
Good observation, I missed that detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
No doubting the fact that even this elephant can charge. But elephants before giving a charge there will be signs that the charge is coming which can help in ensuring that it does not get into a dangerous situation.
It charged, we didn't see any signs, of course we don't know how to read those signs, but thanks to our guide-cum-jeep-driver who knew those signs that we survived, and also luckily we are far enough from the elephant to drive away from it.

We spotted the above elephant grazing calmly, but upon our arrival it suddenly started charging towards us, and surprisingly it backed off by itself, everything happened in a matter of few seconds, I can't recollect what our guide did and said at that moment that day, only thing I remember is we came back unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Its the wild animals that need to survive the human onslaught of deforestation, highways-through-forest projects and encroachments. All the incidents/accidents are inevitable under the circumstances. I personally feel that all safari trips must be severely curtailed . It is evident from the current lockdown that when you give the other beings a wide berth, they are able to manage much better on their own. They respect the natural order, unlike human beings who always question orders.
Rightly said, we humans are encroaching into their spaces, we are damaging their habitat. Yes, we are disturbing the natural order while animals are respecting the natural order.

Last edited by wheelguy : 13th April 2020 at 12:49.
Old 17th November 2022, 07:32   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Reported on Manorama online: a private bus driver Ambujakshan drives bus in reverse for 8 km when faced with an aggressive elephant coming from the opposite direction

https://twitter.com/i/status/1592696590766166018

Quote:
A manormaonline report said that the private bus was plying on the Chalakudy-Valparai route in Thrissur and the incident happened at 9 am on Tuesday. The bus was reversed from Ambalapara to Anakkayam as there was no space to turn the vehicle on the narrow road. Tourist vehicles that followed the bus were diverted and after an hour of creating panic, the pachyderm left into the forest near Anakkayam area
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 08:50   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, can anyone identify what footprints are these:

Wild Animals - A survival Guide-footprint1.jpg

Wild Animals - A survival Guide-footprint2.jpg

Suspect a hyena, but the heel pad impression doesnt look like one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks