Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2022, 09:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Moving to another country | What to do with a car I'm emotionally-attached to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
Wont removal of the oil cause rusting internally?
There will be a coating of oil all over the components. That will act as a barrier against rusting. Even if you have engine oil, it will settle down in the pan and will not provide lubrication unless it is circulated. Also, over the long run the oil in the pan can become gooey and gummy and become more viscous.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 14:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving to another country | What to do with a car I'm emotionally-attached to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
over the long run the oil in the pan can become gooey and gummy and become more viscous.
I don't believe I have ever seen this happen with any internal combustion engine... at least not significantly enough that it would create problems. Have pulled cars and bikes (and lawnmowers, and etc) out of junkyards that had been sitting for years, even decades... and successfully started them up without drama.

No point draining lubricants IMHO.

Would also say there's a time to let go of almost anything material... Am very glad I didn't try to hold onto my car(s) which I passed on to others prior to leaving the U.S. for India!

Papers/ registration will expire while you're over there, and then, at some point, it could become nearly value-less.

-Eric

P.S. - We had a 1939 Packard that had been my grand-uncle's from new. Dad and his sister came to co-own it and drove it in High School in the early 1960's; then it got put away in a dirt-floored garage. Post-college and upon marriage my parents took it out thinking it could serve as a second car. Took it to a mechanic to get it going again after several years, and he ended up breaking things and left it hanging around his garage (wanted desperately to buy it) till he was threatened with police action. After getting banged up in his parking, was put back into the garage where it began sinking into the dirt as groundhogs dug tunnels under it.

As kids I guess we spent hours sitting in it, pretending to drive and dreaming of the time we would restore it. I still remember how it smelled.
I would drive it in High School too, I thought! Money was saved for the project, being put away to accumulate in a hidden compartment in an organizer atop my dad's dresser.

Little by little bits of work were done. Rebuilt the engine. Disassembled the body and cleaned up/ painted the frame. Guy who was supposed to sandblast some parts lost them... we went off to college... then to work in the city.

When my parents retired around 2000 and wanted to downsize/ relocate, there was no space for the project. Brother had an interest but also no space or time to commit.

So we auctioned it off on eBay. Bit wistful to see it go, particularly as we didn't know if the owner would restore it or part it out (suspected the latter).

Sad but in all honesty I don't really have great regrets and seldom even think of it... and I'm a car guy!!!

In retrospect, why did we keep it in the family from 1967 to 2000? Dreams I suppose. Ultimately unfulfilled, so... that's life.

My kid is gonna be upset if we ever have to let the Marshal go. Lots of memories is right.

But there are things to be had in the eternal realm that can never be lost. I try to focus there.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 22nd April 2022 at 14:51.
ringoism is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 14:41   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Would also say there's a time to let go of almost anything material...
Papers/ registration will expire while you're over there, and then, at some point, it could become nearly value-less.
+1 to this! I have 2 bikes sitting at home that haven't been started for years. I don't have the time to work on them and don't have the patience to sort out the paperwork. I was ready to even give them away for free as long as the recipient did all the paperwork and transfer, and put out the word. But the only local responses I got were from kids who I was sure would either ride them happily without doing the transfer, or who didn't have a clue of what needed to be done. Got a couple of serious inquiries from out of state, but the risks of sending the bikes out of state to a stranger without doing the transfer first seemed too great, plus the time and hassle again. Was getting desperate because my wife won't let me buy another bike till I get rid of these two!

Finally a college buddy is coming to the rescue, he's moving in to a bigger place this year and he's into old bikes and cars. I can certainly trust him to take these off my hands and can trust him to transfer.

So I'd say sell old vehicles while they're still running and legal and can still be sold- unless you're sure you'll have the time and resources later to restore/maintain/keep legal.

Last edited by am1m : 22nd April 2022 at 14:42.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 14:41   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
I don't believe I have ever seen this happen with any internal combustion engine... at least not significantly enough that it would create problems. Have pulled cars and bikes (and lawnmowers, and etc) out of junkyards that had been sitting for years, even decades... and successfully started them up without drama.

No point draining lubricants IMHO.

-Eric
Ok. I got this info of oils gumming up, especially used oils sitting for a long time, from a senior Maruti mechanic. Maybe filling in fresh oil(engine,gearbox,differential) before the hibernation might be a good idea.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 22:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

An update on this.

I travelled out of country at the start of July. The Jeep, after giving it a lot of thought and back and forth is with my BIL who drives it semi-regularly. He has a small business and Jeep's folding bench seats provide a lot of carry space for his shop.

It will shuttle between Pune and my native place but for now since I left, it is in Pune. In the last two-three weeks before I left I got a two offers for it which were more than what I paid for back in 2020. There seems to be newfound interest in old Thars. However I am not having FOMO. Would things have been different if there were financial needs? May be.

Just now, I was looking at pictures of it and to me, it is the most handsome vehicle ever. Glad I am sticking to it. Long live the Jeep.
amol4184 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks