Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 21:33   #1
BHPian

GlobalCool - The great IIFA Hypocrisy

this past weekend, I was roped in by family members into watching the IIFA awards...there was one thing in particular that had me laughing in anger...

this year, the Indian Film academy, along with prominent people from around the world, are starting an environmental awareness campaign called GlobalCool, wherein they will endorse environment-friendly practices such as using less electricity, car-pooling, etc....

What was funny and hypocritical I thought was when certain actors got up on stage to make the speeches/announcement about the program...

Tidbits:

Big B Amitabh: Telling people to cut down on carbon emissions....I thought that was just special...considering his family owns BOTH a BMW X5 AND a Rolls Royce Phantom. To top it all, he's now the GlobalCool ambassador for "car sharing" and other vehicle-related environmental practices.

Preity Zinta: Getting up on stage and telling hundreds of Indian Film actors/actresses to start "car-pooling", among other things. Now, I know this was more meant for the TV audience, but the fact that she said that to those people had me laughing for a good 5 mins....

So what do u guys think? Do u agree that celebrities endorsing "global-cool" initiatives is hypocritical? Maybe it will have a beneficial impact after all...since the public is known to ape them and follow what they endorse.

Lemme know ur comments!
Old 19th June 2007, 21:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

I agree it is a bit of Hypocrisy but in a way they are doing a good thing...many people take these actor as there Idol, they might follow there words.....
Old 20th June 2007, 00:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Indian actors are idiots and publicity hogs. None more so than Mr Aamir NBA Khan.

Do you know the amount of water used in a rain dance sequence can keep a house running for a month or a year (or some such statistic)?
Old 20th June 2007, 08:38   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Indian actors are idiots and publicity hogs. None more so than Mr Aamir NBA Khan.
quite an amusing statement..care to explain further ?
Old 20th June 2007, 15:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Oh, Aamir Khan, he's all publicity-hungry when a movie releases, let's hook up with Medha Patkar and save some tribals. Movie goes, so does Aamir. Has no reservations endorsing Coke, who were forced to shut down a bottling plant by a high court order, because it was bad for the environment. Git.
Old 20th June 2007, 16:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

All these guys do is talk, and nothing more.

If they were so interested in global warming and pollution, let them show an example where they dump their fuel-guzzling cars and move onto something environment friendly, like say a Reva? Na.. they wouldnt do that. Instead they would hold large wedding bashes, and pretend to dodge the press, when all they actually intend to do is hog the limelight.

Can Miss Zinta please start using a Scooty which is less-polluting than probably a car she uses? Again, the answer is No.

Same case, different people.
Old 20th June 2007, 18:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

I guess its allright as long as the message gets to the public. I dont think its practical for celebrities to travel by public transportation or car pool and we shouldnt really expect them to. However one of them shoud buy a Prius or somthing and start travelling by that, that would really make a statement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks