Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 20:03   #1

Visual size comparison for cars, like PhoneArena has for smartphones?

Hello BHPians,

I was trying to find out if there are any websites or tools that can compare the relative sizes of cars.

To give an example, PhoneArena has a Visual Size Comparison tool to view phones side by side at different scales. The closest thing I could find for cars was AutoMobileDimension, but it does not have a lot of Indian Car Models and also does not really do a side by side comparison.

One way I can think of doing this is by manually putting the images of the cars in a Photo Editor and adjust the scales individually to compare.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2022 at 09:56. Reason: Adding link :)
SanjitVigneshS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 09:59   #2
Team-BHP Support

Guess it makes sense for phones, as you can see them at close to 1:1 size on your computer screen.

For cars, the difference of say 24mm will not really be visible when the graphic is scaled down to fit onto your computer or phone screen.

You'll only really be able to see the difference in bodyline shapes, which isn't particularly useful.

Pretty sure I've tried this at some point in the past, but can't seem to remember where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjitVigneshS View Post
One way I can think of doing this is by manually putting the images of the cars in a Photo Editor and adjust the scales individually to compare.
Won't be very accurate (or even easy), as the optical distortion from camera lenses will really affect things. What you need for these comparisons is an Isometric view of the car.

Some car magazines had those line-drawings accompanying their longer reviews... you'd need something like that.

EDIT:
Here's one done by member Guite on the Tata Nano thread in 2009:

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2022 at 10:05.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Visual size comparison for cars, like PhoneArena has for smartphones?

I find it really difficult to compare sizes of various cars. Shape and colour can make for an amazing sort of visual illusion.

Everybody always comments on the size of my Jeep Cherokee. Whereas in fact it is smaller, length and width wise, compared to our Ford Focus. To the extend you can see it when parked next together. The boxy high shape of the Jeep makes it look a lot bigger than it really is.

Jeroen

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th July 2022 at 21:57. Reason: Minor typo.
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 01:22   #4
BHPian

Re: Visual size comparison for cars, like PhoneArena has for smartphones?

As Rehaan metioned, it is almost impossible to manually overlay images unless every car is shot with the same lighting, lens+camera combo and focal length with the same distance from the subject.

If you want to do it for fun/just for personal use, then there is not much websites for free. I found only one website which has 3D models of a lot of cars (including Indian models), but each model costs about 95EUR. For 3d printing hobbyists this website will be a great place to make detailed scale models. Strangely I could not find any BMWs in their database. So it is not complete, but has quite a lof of collections. There you go :

https://hum3d.com/

Here are some sample screenshots:

Visual size comparison for cars, like PhoneArena has for smartphones?-suzuki_swift_mk4f_hatchback_5door_szl_2014_1000_0001.jpg

Name:  Suzuki_Swift_Mk4f_hatchback_5door_SZL_2014_600_0003.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  86.1 KB

Visual size comparison for cars, like PhoneArena has for smartphones?-honda_fit_mk3_2014_1000_0001.jpg

Name:  Honda_Fit_Mk3_2014_600_0003.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  85.4 KB

Visual size comparison for cars, like PhoneArena has for smartphones?-hyundai_alcazar_hqinterior_2021_1000_0002.jpg

Visual size comparison for cars, like PhoneArena has for smartphones?-hyundai_alcazar_hqinterior_2021_1000_0004.jpg

Visual size comparison for cars, like PhoneArena has for smartphones?-mahindra_thar_mk2_2020_1000_0002.jpg

Visual size comparison for cars, like PhoneArena has for smartphones?-mahindra_thar_mk2_2020_1000_0004.jpg
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks