Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2022, 06:07   #1
BHPian

A little late, but how the pandemic hit my education

Hello everyone,

I am a 20 year old from Delhi, and recently moved to Arizona, USA to finish my undergrad degree in Computer Science.

To give some background, I have been born and brought up in Delhi with my parents and sisters. I went to one of the best CBSE-affiliated schools. I took Physics-Chemistry-Math with Computer Science in 11th and 12th grade, and was scared of the idea of JEE and all the entrance exams. I always wanted to move abroad or just out of Delhi (initially) for college or actually didn't think much. I had my board exams for class 12 in 2020 (yes, the year of pandemic) and had one of the exams cancelled because of the lockdown and got average marks from the school. I ended up getting 89% which was decent because I had failed 3 pre-boards. :P

The lockdown happened, I applied to a lot of colleges in Canada and got into top Canadian universities (nope, didn't get into Waterloo and University of Toronto). I accepted the offer for Computer Science CO-OP program (CO-OP means 2 semesters of study, 1 semester of work every year to get a degree).

September 2020, classes started online and finished two semesters (one whole year; till May 2021) like that. Canada gradually started processing visa applications and I got my visa too. According to some rules, I couldn't enter Canada before August 2021, as classes start in September (for year 2).

I got a job (like a paid summer internship) in Delhi with a very cool startup and had the time of my life. The startup focusses on AI based methods and data analytics to get clients into big universities and colleges around the globe. (You can PM me if you want more info, will not elaborate here)

In April 2021, I was just talking to an academic advisor from the university, and she told me I'm eligible for a work permit as I am in a co-op program, and filled out a form for me and (yes, my fault here) I applied for a work permit. My fault? yes, but the Canadian systems can reject it because I have my study visa and should be studying. No, Canadian embassy approved it, and I didn't think of it much at that time (and yes, there was never a stamp or a paper sent for the visa).

Fast forward to September 2021, my dad spent 2 lakhs to send me to Toronto via Muscat and Frankfurt (Covid testing in Muscat, as Canada didn't accept Indian RT-PCR). I landed in Toronto, and the immigration officer was making me enter on the work visa, but I denied. He thought something was suspicious and started shouting on me. I was handed over to another officer, she explained me stuff and gave me option - to enter and let them review (which would let me enter Canada after 4 days or just deport me if they're not satisfied) or to take a voluntary return.

I opted for the later, and got back home within 75 of leaving from home. It was a shock to all my family. The case was so complicated that even the immigration lawyers weren't able to help. While a new application was processed with everything correct this time by a lawyer, I was happy because my classes were hybrid so I could attend them from India.

A lots of up-downs happened because of the pandemic related to our business in Delhi and also with family’s health, which got solved till January 2022. In February 2022, my visa got rejected. It was like the whole world ended. Since September 2021, I didn't unpack my suitcases and I never knew what was next. Finally listened to my dad who had been telling me to take a transfer to the US since the very day I got back.

I dropped out of the Canadian college. Got the fees back and applied to the US with transfer credits from the Canadian University, and voila! got admitted to so many universities. The visa was also not an issue, I told them everything during the interview and one of my good friends, who runs a consultancy, helped me a lot with everything.

Today, I am in the US, a good college, decent place to live. It's better late than never. This roller coaster ride has taught me what's wrong, what's right, how to handle things patiently. I might be wrong but I doubt there's anyone who can handle all the situations I faced. I know there can be harder situations, but I say that to feel better.

A 20 year old won a war. He's finally seeing what college/university life is like. Not stressing about stuff, knows what to do next. Life is a good lesson. You cannot shape it, it will shape you. Just be strong, don't give up; you will be where you want to (or even at a better place). There's nothing as never. There are better things waiting for you.

Last edited by adigup : 7th September 2022 at 06:09.
adigup is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 07:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A little late, but how the pandemic hit my education

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
Life is a good lesson. You cannot shape it, it will shape you. Just be strong, don't give up; you will be where you want to (or even at a better place). There's nothing as never. There are better things waiting for you.
This my friend is gold.

Gold!
Red Liner is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 09:51   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: A little late, but how the pandemic hit my education

The number of students, people emigrating from India has risen by leaps and bounds. Goes on to show the sober lack of jobs and opportunities in India. Bleak outlook for a student in India.
LaRoca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 10:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post

In April 2021, I was just talking to an academic advisor from the university, and she told me I'm eligible for a work permit as I am in a co-op program, and filled out a form for me and (yes, my fault here) I applied for a work permit. My fault? yes, but the Canadian systems can reject it because I have my study visa and should be studying. No, Canadian embassy approved it, and I didn't think of it much at that time (and yes, there was never a stamp or a paper sent for the visa).

Fast forward to September 2021, my dad spent 2 lakhs to send me to Toronto via Muscat and Frankfurt (Covid testing in Muscat, as Canada didn't accept Indian RT-PCR). I landed in Toronto, and the immigration officer was making me enter on the work visa, but I denied. He thought something was suspicious and started shouting on me. I was handed over to another officer, she explained me stuff and gave me option - to enter and let them review (which would let me enter Canada after 4 days or just deport me if they're not satisfied) or to take a voluntary return.
Good to hear on your final status - all the best for your endeavors. But care to explain what went wrong? It seems like the university advisor, the Canadian embassy staff and the airport immigration officer were all okay with you entering the country on a work permit while you were still to finish your studies. Clearly that is not correct, but how can three different organizations all be okay with it? Did you check with any immigration experts to get clarity why this was allowed and whether it was a practice that wasn't shunned by the government?
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 10:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Good to hear on your final status - all the best for your endeavors. But care to explain what went wrong?
Thank you!

The advisor at the university misguided me, and it had to be done after entering Canada. The immigration officer didn't care to look at the documents and was going to make me enter but then I asked him to give me my 'Study Permit' which is a paper that is required for all bank, official work and student benefits. The other immigration officer at the airport who calmly explained me the consequences was also shocked to know how my visa was approved by the Canadian body.

Immigration experts were shocked too, they called my case 'unique' and I still have requested the Canadian embassy (IRCC) to withdraw my application of study visa (that was filed in Feb. 2022 post rejection, and haven't heard back) and they still haven't replied. Canada has a lot of backlog of applications and students are suffering because of that.
adigup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 10:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Thank you for the clarification - that sucks but it happens. And I'd just add this quip to your earlier point - the battle has been won. But the war will continue (that's life) but it's a good strong learning at this age

Quote:
A 20 year old won a war. He's finally seeing what college/university life is like. Not stressing about stuff, knows what to do next. Life is a good lesson. You cannot shape it, it will shape you. Just be strong, don't give up; you will be where you want to (or even at a better place). There's nothing as never. There are better things waiting for you.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 10:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
^^Thank you for the clarification - that sucks but it happens. And I'd just add this quip to your earlier point - the battle has been won. But the war will continue (that's life) but it's a good strong learning at this age
Thank you so much. I mean, I don't want anyone to go through this, but if they do - they'll come out much stronger and it is a good experience. While it was a voluntary return, which puts no record on my passport, the Indian Immigration department treated me as a deportee till I made things clear and waited there for 5 hours.
adigup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 10:48   #8
BHPian

It looks like you go to my rival school. I go to the #1 Party school in America haha. Coincidentally I'm a sophomore too. Weathers's brutal right now stay inside get some shade and my suggestion is to hangout with lot of like-minded people get involved in lots of organizations and you'll forgot all the mistakes/misfortunes which happened with you in the first year. I've made so many mistakes lost so much money my first year of college and that always stays in the back of my head, thinking what if....
Anyhow, it's onward and upwards from here on out. Godspeed!

Free advice: Roadtrip to Sedona and flagstaff maybe in fall break its too much fun.
TechSavvy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 11:32   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSavvy View Post
It looks like you go to my rival school.

Free advice: Roadtrip to Sedona and flagstaff maybe in fall break its too much fun.
Hahaha! Yes, your school didn’t give me the major of my choice. I’m gonna get my AZ driver’s license whenever I get time and I’m hoping to do some trips/roadtrips during the winter break.
adigup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 11:55   #10
BHPian

You are 20 years old and already learned a lot. Seems whatever you went through made your character tough and it was a good decision leaving your comfort zone back home.
mbilung is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 14:17   #11
BHPian

Thanks for being vocal and courageous enough to share your experience, it truly does takes guts. This forum is home to numerous young BHPians and you never know who you might inspire!

International education is a rollercoaster ride for sure, but you come out as a different person (for the better).
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 17:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRoca View Post
The number of students, people emigrating from India has risen by leaps and bounds. Goes on to show the sober lack of jobs and opportunities in India. Bleak outlook for a student in India.
Absolutely disagree. Tons of jobs and opportunities in India. What hampers the general quota students is the lack of seats due to reservations. Moreover not everyone going to study abroad emigrates. Many comeback.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 18:32   #13
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRoca View Post
This is no longer restricted to the big cities now. Rural India is also seeing this.

Reuters did a good article on it this week - https://www.reuters.com/world/india/...me-2022-09-07/

Last edited by AZT : 9th September 2022 at 18:35.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 10:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Absolutely disagree. Tons of jobs and opportunities in India. What hampers the general quota students is the lack of seats due to reservations. Moreover not everyone going to study abroad emigrates. Many comeback.
Don't want to start a flame war here but as a country if we start blaming reservations for all the problems then we are creating one more problem to handle. Peace.
mbilung is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks