Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2007, 14:28   #1
BHPian

iPhone in India :HCL, Wipro trying for dealerships

Source here

Quote:
MUMBAI: Friday 6 pm U.S time. As the world gets ready for this deadline to grab one of the most sought after handsets - the iPhone - two Indian companies are also getting ready to register gains from this revolutionary offering of Apple Inc., the makers of Macintosh computer (popularly called Mac) and the iPod.

Noida-based HCL Infosystems and Bangalore-based Wipro Technologies are close to becoming the exclusive Indian distributors of the iPhone. Analysts are expecting 1-3 million handsets to hit the shelves on Friday.

A luxury product costing $499 for 4 gigabytes memory and $599 for 8 gigabytes memory, iPhone will have a large touch screen minus the conventional keypad. It will also double up as an iPod, video player and will come equipped with a digital camera.

Despite some of its flaws, the iPhone has bagged rare reviews and is being branded as a 'breakthrough handheld computer' as it automatically syncs all contacts from a PC, a MAC or internet service.

The good response is seen helping Apple Inc's head, Steve Jobs, to meet his goal of selling 10 million iPhones in 2008. Such sales will automatically catapult iPhone to third major revenue garner for Apple along with Mac and the iPod.

Back home, HCL Info and Wipro may have to wait only few weeks before counting their profits. Generally, companies get 2-3% commission on the sale of handsets.

"The hype behind the iPhones launch globally has already hit the Indian shores. There are quite a few people waiting to grab the latest gizmo," said technology analyst of leading domestic broking firm.

Both HCL Info and Wipro could not be reached for comments. On the distribution side, HCL Info already has an edge due to its multi-year contract with Nokia. In the domestic market, Nokia has 71% marketshare (as on February 2007) followed by Motorola at 14%, Sony Ericsson at 8%, Samsung at 3% and rest 4%.

In U.S, AT&T has bagged the multi-year license to distribute iPhone. As per media reports, AT&T will be selling iPhone with a two-year service plan with prices varying from $60-220 a month. The phone will also be available directly from Apple retail stores.

I work for one of these companies (vegetable oil, u c)....will i get a discount then
Old 28th June 2007, 14:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

TOi Blore yesterday said HCL and Wipro already had these dealerships !
Old 28th June 2007, 14:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what the official price would be?

Heard, in the grey market it is available at 30K!
Old 28th June 2007, 14:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

I used to work for one of these companies 5 years back. Can I have a discount please?
iPhone fever is catching up in India then.
Old 28th June 2007, 16:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I used to work for one of these companies 5 years back. Can I have a discount please?
iPhone fever is catching up in India then.
HCL has the dealership for Nokia in India but I dont think HCL guys get discount on the nokia phones .

I too am interested in the price.
Old 28th June 2007, 17:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

There's so much hype that im sure the dollar Price reduction won't come for atleast a year.
Old 30th June 2007, 22:24   #7
kph
BHPian

is it true that iphone is defective by design?
Apple iPhone and DRM | DefectiveByDesign.org
Old 30th June 2007, 23:59   #8
BHPian

HCL Has dealership rights and Service Arrangements with :

Toshiba Laptops/ Photocopiers

Nokia Cellular Instruments

Apple Computers- I pod

Let's hope the Iphone comes home to HCL
Old 1st July 2007, 00:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got the iPhone... one word to say AMMMMMMMAZING!!
Hope some1 can unlock this phone, several geeks are working hardcore to unlock the phone as At&t service in america sux.
People had been waiting in line for days to get the phone but hats off to apple for being so organised that within 3 hours of the launch the lines were empty. I walked in and got the phone in under 10 mins.
Old 10th July 2007, 01:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Just got the iPhone... one word to say AMMMMMMMAZING!!
I walked in and got the phone in under 10 mins.
Congrates...
Can we have some pics and report ?? Did you get it unlocked ??
Old 10th July 2007, 01:57   #11

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

in the main article,its mentioned"the iphone has some flaws".what are those flaws apart from not having a stylus???
Old 10th July 2007, 02:22   #12
BHPian

Not having a key pad? I dont like anything that doesnt come with a key pad.
Old 10th July 2007, 02:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
HCL has the dealership for Nokia in India but I dont think HCL guys get discount on the nokia phones .

I too am interested in the price.
HCL employees do get discounts from the Nokia Care Support Centres (along with supporting, they sell Nokia phones as well), though the discount is not really great..
Old 10th July 2007, 09:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
in the main article,its mentioned"the iphone has some flaws".what are those flaws apart from not having a stylus???
Some of the basic issues off the top of my mind, from what I've gathered from reading on the net:

1) Soft-keyboard takes some getting used to.
2) Slips & falls from hand very easily.
3) This is a biggie: The Handsfree/earphone jack is recessed, so most makes of earphones don't fit. You have to cut the plastic moulding on most earphone jacks (and it still may not work) or get a fresh set of earphones that do fit. There have already been a couple of releases of iPhone specific high-end earphones [I smell a conspiracy here ]
4) Lack of expandability of memory (max 8GB comes with the phone). No Mem card slot.
5) You can't type in landscape mode. The phone goes to landscape mode only when you're browsing or when you're viewing a video.
6) Cannot be used as a portable USB drive.
7) No 3G (should be fixed soon -- get ready to change your phone).
8) Rumoured: The battery will conk out after 1000 charging cycles.
9) Replacing the battery will cost you a bomb (as in the case of all iPods)
10) The battery charge doesn't last so long. Users get conflicting results so the jury is still out on this. Maybe newer firware updates will help.
11) Does not work with most iPod docks - you need to buy a new one for the iPhone.
12) No MMS (yet)
13) Stereo over bluetooth (A2DP like facility) not supported.
14) Files can't be transferred over Bluetooth (not completely sure of this)
15) Safari (the browser) crashes if you leave it on for a long while (again, not sure of exact details, but there is some serious issue with the browser acting up)
16) Flash not supported (yet) by the browser
17) Various applications (like notes) can't be synced to your desktop (yet).
Old 13th July 2007, 05:57   #15
BANNED

The critical comments on the net about iPhone may be semi true, but should not stop blowing people away with cool stuff. It is easily the best iPod on earth, & the best user Interface on any handheld available on the planet.

Features that simply blew me away are
1. Multi touch interface.
2. auto correct, and lens feature
3. Zoom of letters, as you type, on the keypad
4. Auto flip of image as you turn the device.
5. Amazing ease, with browsing, pics, music, conference, etc
6. Real time traffic, driving directions, satellite images with Google maps, You tube content.

The device is so freakin easy to use, makes you wonder why didnt other think of this. Every other phone seems so obsolete now. I cannot see myself buying anything other than the iPhone as my next phone.

Disclaimer: I dont work for Apple!

Last edited by prasadee : 13th July 2007 at 06:02. Reason: typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks