Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2022, 05:49   #46
BHPian

Re: Rishi Sunak becomes UK Prime Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Kenya is the leading exporter of Western leaders.
Waiting for somebody to attributing this to Adam and Eve.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 09:00   #47
BHPian

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Recent from Sunder Pichai:
My Indian parents called today. "Look at that Rishi,
Sunak uncle ka beta.
8 years younger than you.
UK ka PM ban gaya.
aur tum sirf ek $1.37T company ke CEO ho USA mein.".
Me: “Mom I can't replace Joe Biden."
Mom, "Try kar beta. you can do it. tum koshish hi nahi karoge to kaise hoga."

I may be able to convince my parents but believe me. Many PM/Presidents are at risk now. Indian parents have already decided career goals for their kids.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 28th October 2022 at 12:13. Reason: see mod note
AltoLXI is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 09:22   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Situation in GB/UK is such that they are going to have more difficult times. Anyone in the PM chair would have faced the same challenges, and very likely fail. The load of Brexit, plus support to Ukraine are just two. I wont be surprised if Rishi is not able to turn things around, and if he is not able to, then they have an easy scapegoat - not withstanding his logical approach that was opposite to that of Liz Truss about turning the economy around. Migrants are adding to the situation both financial burden and security wise.

He is in an un-enviable place. He looks more sensible than BoJo or Liz, but end of the day he is part of the Tories, and will take the blame for the results due to policies and thought-line of the party.

Btw, did hear one comment that he has been set up for this - and the reason why BoJo withdrew at the last minute.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 09:32   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, did hear one comment that he has been set up for this - and the reason why BoJo withdrew at the last minute.
The perfect ‘fall guy’. Person of colour. Successful and therefore inspires envy rather than appreciation. Elitist and hence alienates the majority. Outwardly seen to be accepted by the Tories and the inner circles but probably they pass snide remarks and snigger behind his back.
As someone said, in Politics logic has no part to play. Only ambition and emotion and every dirty trick in the book and outside of it.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 09:55   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Why not? People can contribute to a country without having being born there, and be appreciated for it.
Specifically said 'born a citizen', not 'born in'. Arnold Schwarzenegger can never be the President of USA, eventhough he has been the Governor of California. Our citizenship rules are liberal for the fact that most of our leaders till 2010s were 'foreign born', as in born in places which are now in Pakistan.

Quote:
India is a country where the 'non-majority' are not immigrants but have been here for millenia just like everyone elsse. They merely subscribe to a different set of religious beliefs, starting from about 2000 years ago. In most other countries, immigrants have not been around for more than a century - with the exception of the US, where white immigrants have been around for 300 years. Unless of course, you are suggesting that the non-majority citizens are not originally from India, and should be grateful to the majority for the opportunity.
I didn't conflate non-majority with immigrants. You assumed it for me. I was replying to the OP sharing news article where it was said we should learn from them regarding non-majority.

Quote:
You are correct. However, I mean non-white immigrants. Most non-white immigrants - I would wager over 99% - in Europe who can trace their roots back over 100 years were brought in chains and shackles.
Err... Please look up the history of Spain.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:00   #51
Team-BHP Support

OMG, now they are going after his looks.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/uknew...me/ar-AA13rlJ3
Old 28th October 2022, 12:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

It will be a big achievement if that absconding loan defaulter who celebrated the Diwali of our nationalized banks in UK can be brought back to India.
Old 28th October 2022, 13:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Specifically said 'born a citizen', not 'born in'. Arnold Schwarzenegger can never be the President of USA, eventhough he has been the Governor of California.
Like I said, Boris Johnson was born in New York. Ted Cruz was born in Canada, and he ran for President. SCOTUS has left the interpretation of natural-born citizen open. The UK is clearly ok with it. Insecurity about a person's birthplace is ridiculous if they have achieved enough for the country. What is next? Should we say that anyone who hasn't lived in the country all their life isn't patriotic or qualified enough? These are convenient and arbitrary goalposts.

Quote:
Err... Please look up the history of Spain.
I'm fairly well versed. Do you mean the Umayyid Walaya, or the reversal that occurred when their colonies expatriated people? The latter uses the same mechanism that sent the Sunaks to the UK.

We're veering off topic, so I'll stop here.

Last edited by v1p3r : 28th October 2022 at 13:07.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 13:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Will he be friendly to India... probably not. He will have to go out of his way to prove that he is not being partial to India. ..
General observation is if a foreigner with ancestral Indian roots gets into a position of political power/role, then he/she will try their best to be anti-India and is always disadvantageous. This happens as they always try to prove their loyalities to their nation at our cost.

There is no need to give any favours to India, atleast a neutral attitude would have been better, but the actions / attitide always has been negative from these foreign people of Indian origin towards India.

It is rather better and more favourable for India to deal with foreign politicians of their respective native descent as they usually have a more neutral approach. Whether they are favourable or not, atleast they are not under pressure to be unfavourable.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 28th October 2022 at 13:46.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 13:45   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously? We had a female Prime Minister years before UK had one. We had leaders from 'non-majority' in our highest offices possible, years before either of them. And we have to take lessons from them to embrace the non-majority citizens of our country?
Well said!. The thing about India is that everybody in India is an insignificant numerical minority in some way or the other.

For eg : If you are a kashmiri brahmin, you are a minority, if you are a nair from the south, you are definitely a minority. If you are an Arya Samaji you are definitely a minority, if you are an Urdu speaking Sayyed from UP, of course you are a minority. Our dear Sikhs, buddhists, jains, Tamil Gounders, Andra Reddies, Mallu sabarimala devotees etc. are all minorities.

So there is no real majority in India at all. This is what happens when you live in a supercontinent sized country which has more population than all the other continents in the world individually and even the mid sized states have more population than the larger European countries.

So Yeah!. India needs no lessons from anybody. & not the least from NRIs/PIOs of which yours truly used to be one and will probably be one again next year.
vishnurp99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 13:51   #56
BHPian

Today UK's biggest challenge is economy. Rishi Sunak seems to be most suitable guy.
Even there is not be drastic improvement in economy, but at least We can't expect any major step which can cause more demage to economy.
Also there is no doubt that there will be positive steps towards economical improvement, and thats the sign of a mature democracy.
At least they got the most qualified person. He might be dumped in future once economy improves, just like Winston Churchill was dumped post war, which is also not a bad thing for a democracy.

As a resident indian citizen his "Indian" origin don't matter much. Can't expect any of his actions would help India (and India don't need anything either), as his only loyalty will be his country.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 14:09   #57
BHPian

Guy came in at the wrong time, the ship is on its way down. I hope he is not made scapegoat of the season, he ticks all the boxes for being the best one!
Old 28th October 2022, 15:45   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most non-white immigrants - I would wager over 99% - in Europe who can trace their roots back over 100 years were brought in chains and shackles.
Quote:
I'm fairly well versed. Do you mean the Umayyid Walaya, or the reversal that occurred when their colonies expatriated people? The latter uses the same mechanism that sent the Sunaks to the UK.
Yes, the former even if the Moors have been expelled almost fully by the Late Medieval period. And Spain was an example. Unless of course, you are suggesting that North western Europe is white white, proper white. <insert Family guy cutaway on equal rights in America>

Quote:
Ted Cruz was born in Canada, and he ran for President. SCOTUS has left the interpretation of natural-born citizen open.
I repeat again.

Quote:
Specifically said 'born a citizen', not 'born in'. Arnold Schwarzenegger can never be the President of USA, eventhough he has been the Governor of California
Yep, going terribly off-topic. So will stop here.
Old 31st October 2022, 19:24   #59
BHPian

An interesting one in circulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Rishi Sunak becomes UK Prime Minister-img20221031wa0023.jpg  

Last edited by ajayc123 : 31st October 2022 at 19:31.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks