Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2022, 11:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Delhi-NCR BHPians: Your tips & strategies for living with the terrible AQI?

I was in Delhi-Noida for 4 days from 31st Oct to 3rd Nov due to some unavoidable office work, these four days were terrible in Delhi, I generally struggle with the combination of Dust, and Low Temperature witnessed during this season in Delhi, the dryness is a big factor which elevates the discomfort, especially after a Flight as there is a drastic transition in the environment within a couple of hours.

The pollution took a toll on my health, I developed severe throat infection and congestion, my eyes were always red. I was absolutely fit when I took off from Mumbai, but it seems I was completely unprepared for the level of pollution on my arrival at Delhi.

Things added to my woes and how I tackled them:-

Uber/Ola:-
I was staying in the southern part of Delhi and travelling to Noida by Uber/Ola on a daily basis for work. I don't know why the cabbies in Delhi are so reluctant to roll up their windows. Every time I had to raise my voice to ask them to roll up the windows and even after that they use to keep the driver side window down by at least 2-3 inches. Finally I had to use a double mask every time, I travelled in a cab, this helped a lot.

Irritation in throat:-
Even indoors there was a constant irritation in my throat, frequently drinking water somehow used to provide comfort.

Outdoor socializing:-
I had planned a lot of dinners and outdoor meet up with friends in Delhi, had to cancel all the plans as after office hours I was left completely exhausted due to the bad air. Had the option of meeting indoors but then either myself or them would have to travel for it so it made no sense.

Some of my tips to people travelling to Delhi:
  1. If it is work related trip which is unavoidable, then schedule in such a way that you are in Delhi for the bare minimum time.
  2. Carry some good masks which filters out the pollution.
  3. Keep lozenges handy in your bag they help a lot soothing your throat.
  4. Avoid peak hour travelling.
  5. Ask the accommodation for a humidifier, if not made available, go to the chemist and buy a vaporizer which costs merely 200-300 bucks even if you are staying overnight, it is worth. After the entire day of being subject to bad air outside, the dryness at night makes things worse for your nose and throat.
  6. Avoid oily and spicy food, your throat is already having a hells time with all that dust.
  7. Cancel any leisure trips.

Dear Delhiites I sincerely feel concerned for you all, hope the air quality improves.
ArTigor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 12:16   #17
BHPian

Not sure if this is already mentioned in this thread, many car companies were selling HEPA filters for cars since last 2-3 years. Good option even if the filter life will be less, the OEM were quite affordable I remember. For other cars also, there are HEPA filters available online though not sure about brands and cost is relatively higher (1600-1700).
Old 7th November 2022, 12:16   #18
BHPian

N95 masks should help a lot. Though I am not in Delhi, but I have started using them whenever I drive my two wheeler. I have tried a lot of different types of N95 masks in past 2/3 years, (atleast 12-15 branded types), I have finally settled for the one that I bought through flipkart. Since it shows out of stock, you can order though below link. Excellent fit with hardly any leakages. Despite driving my 2 wheeler 10/12 km do not feel any throat congestion on wearing these.

https://www.amazon.in/Honeywell-Cert.../dp/B091QCLLGH

Normally I never buy anything online and prefer Indian brands for my purchases, but have made an exception in this case.
BigB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 12:47   #19
BHPian

There is an old thread on TBHP about a company and the air filtration systems that they make: Smart Air. This is what started it all, thanks to Marcus Santiago: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4305399 (Anti-Pollution Masks for Bikers)

Initially, i was using their N99 masks with valves to make my motorcycle journeys easier as i was doing a lot of traveling and these have been very useful. When we shifted to Delhi, we ensured we got a home in a nice tree dense area in south Delhi and additionally went to the Smart Air office to check out the machines in person and bought them for home use. They have been working very well and maintenance is minimal.
We use a combination of humidifiers and aircon in cool/heat mode with the filtration machine and so far so good.
After seeing how effective they were, i invested in another one for my office and got the chemical warfare package as i smoke; no smell, no smoke, no nothing, just clean air for a very reasonable capex and opex.

Granted that these machines do not have any AQI displays built in but this can be easily remedied by acquiring a good sensor from the web.

The missus's office has already installed HEPA filtration systems and so does my son's school. All of these combined seem to be working well for us so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Am due to travel to Gurgaon on work next week. Is it an unsafe period to be there? I have never experienced smog in my life, hence asking. Would N95 masks help?
If you have never experienced smog, then you have to be prepared for a certain amount of discomfort depending on your tolerance levels. I suppose you have already read through the replies on the thread?
I understand you are going to be here for a month or so. Look up the QT3 portable air purifier that i have been using in my gen 1 Creta and it works well. I suppose it will work effectively in your hotel room (assuming you are staying in one). The link is https://smartairfilters.com/in/en/pr...-air-purifier/
Other than this device, they also have N95 masks which you will require almost all the time you are here; do stock up on those too. There are a lot of shops which will sell you just about any mask stating it will work but they won't. Please get proper ones, preferably N99 and ensure a snug fit.
Unfortunately, i have no solution to the burning sensation that you will experience in your eyes. The best you can do is minimise exposure time to outside air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
... It’s an an extensive system, but it works for me. And let’s not forget the annual pre Diwali flu shot. That helps.
That is quite the setup! However, if it helps you then it is all worth it. I have never taken the flu shot though, does it help?
Diwali time we usually run away from Delhi to visit parents and in laws
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
I was in Delhi-Noida for 4 days from 31st Oct to 3rd Nov due to some unavoidable office work,...
... The pollution took a toll on my health, I developed severe throat infection and congestion, my eyes were always red. I was absolutely fit when I took off from Mumbai, but it seems I was completely unprepared for Delhi... hope the air quality improves.
Thank you for the pointers; they will help a lot.
Saddened that your stay was akin to descending to hell, however, on the other hand, you will be better prepped for the next time you have to come here! Thank you also for your kind wishes for us capital dwellers!

Disclaimer: This is not a plug for the company; i m using their products since 5 years now and m completely satisfied and hope someone else benefits from my experience.
N33raj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 12:49   #20
BHPian

Apart from the regular measures like using Air Purifier (Blue Air Purifiers) we introduce little bit of gur/Shakkar after meals. It’s more like grandmas old wisdom from the time when people used to work in the fields, before going to manually process wheat or similar they would apply oil/ghee in their nostrils and also consume gur/shakkar after food. Logic is that the fine dust particles get stuck instead of reaching the lungs. Not sure how effective it is for PM2.5 but the gur definately helps in soothing the throat.
Old 7th November 2022, 12:50   #21
BHPian

I'd just be brutally honest about this, but no body actually cares a thing for this. I have been a severe asthamatic individual early in my age and it was a bad bad experience since the early 2000's. And now, its just that you need to live with it. I have invested in an Air Purifier at my home(master-bedroom), my car, my office cabin.. But where all can I really put it out? The situation currently like every single year is worse, and the governments seem to absolutely pay a deaf ear to this.

P.S: I make sure to travel for the Diwali Week to Himachal.
aamishdhingra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 13:24   #22
BHPian

(1) Air Purifiers operating 24 hours a day at home

(2) Use N95 mask when we go outdoors (Though, after more that 2 years of continuously and diligently wearing a mask because of Covid, I find it very annoying to wear one now)

(3) HEPA Cabin Air Filter installed in Car (Maruti has introduced this and I got this fitted during the last service)

Few of my acquaintances have plants that claim to reduce pollution - though I am not sure about their efficacy.
Old 7th November 2022, 14:41   #23
BHPian

Been suffering from acute Allergic Rhinitis since Diwali. Effectively, I cannot breathe via my nose, I get breathless due to that, develop splitting headaches, and feel like I have run a marathon by afternoon.

Besides the usual air purifier at home anf N-95 masks, these are few things that a pulmonologist suggested to me (yep, I had to go to one, it was so bad):

A. Steam with tea-bag, twice daily. (Technically, once in the morning and once before going to bed).

B. I am using the Cipla Nasowash kit. Guess any other kit is good as well.
https://www.rxindia.com/pharmacy-and...h-starter-kit/

C. Raw Turmeric (kacchi haldi) slices. I cut them every night and soak them in water. Have the slice every morning. It helps as it has anti-inflamatory properties (helps soothe the inflamed nasal organs) and raises body immunity to counter the allergens.

Besides these, avoid spicy food, any form of sprays (deos, perfumes, room fresheners), cold stuff (Ice creams, cold drinks, ice cubes), sudden temperature changes (like stepping out of AC room, standing too long in front of an open fridge).
Old 7th November 2022, 16:12   #24
BHPian

I was in the same situation as trance_nut in reply #16. My then 8-year-old was repeatedly getting coughing bouts.

Fortunately, I had an option of shifting to Bangalore and grabbed it with both hands. And it was closer to our native in Kerala.

While we were there in Delhi, we used an air purifier, and were using N95 masks whenever we stepped out.

There is only so much we can do.
Old 7th November 2022, 22:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Am due to travel to Gurgaon on work next week. Is it an unsafe period to be there? I have never experienced smog in my life, hence asking. Would N95 masks help?
I usually visit Delhi twice a year on business and just came back from a trip 10 days back, Even though the AQI is really bad it is not unmanageable. I could find the air acrid but the N95 Masks really helped me a lot. I mostly stayed in hotels for meetings and used uber around town. Had a tough time asking them to close windows and put on AC. The blu smart EV taxis were good in that regard. I dont know if TVM air is pristine being in KL but coming from Hyderabad i could manage but when i landed in Hyderabad i could feel the difference like i use to feel during the days i used to land in Canada from a trip back from India. I could feel the freshness of the air in Hyderabad.
hondatoyotafan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 22:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I'd be living in some place called sector 29 and commuting to sector 48,Tikri some 7 kms away. Are these places any better/worse in terms of pollution?
I live in sector 45, a stone throw from Sector 29 and it’s pretty bad - and this is pretty much the greenest part of Gurgaon with cycling lanes and all.

Off topic - Walking Street in Sector 29 is one of my favourite watering holes with decent food, do give it a try.

I cycle to work by the way - though it’s more of a money saving exercise than anything to do with fitness or being environmentally conscious (though I try my best at the latter whenever possible). I wear an N95 every single second that I’m outside.

Also if one is a resident in Gurgaon, they’ll know that the biggest killer is the dust that keeps flying around the air, the smell always lingers.
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 09:14   #27
BHPian

Will list all those that helped me. However, what helped me might not help others. Also, my experience is from Bangalore.

This was back in 2007-2010, while I was working in the nort east end of Bangalore (ITPL), and travelling all the way from South West, a good 30+ Kms in one direction. Everyday, it was a struggle. 20Kms on, my nose would start irritating, and I would start sneezing. I never understood what was causing it. I just knew it was my body and the pollution. Never thought of countering it, as I was so used to tablets and sneezing, and congested chest.
Any amount of football was not helping. There were certain seasons where my condition would aggravate, but continuous football was helping.

Moved close to office in 2010-11, and then those symptoms reduced dramatically, so much that I didn't need tablets year round. Certain seasons, it would come back though. Slowly I understood that it was the pollen, and then understood, it was more of lack of humidity during the Jan Feb months that was causing it. Meanwhile Ayurveda had started helping, and I had done away with all the Alopathic medicines.

Recently, the lockdowns and hybrid work has helped immensely, or has it been the Cycling that we do year round?
Anyway here is my list

Move closer to office - The extra rent paid, or rent paid away from your own home is anyday better than the suffering.

Roll up your car windows/ Mask up with a full face helmet while on bike - I have seen this work for me. A simple cloth mask works in Bangalore

Try Ayurveda - If you have a condition, mostly allergic conditions are solved with constant Ayurvedic medicine. They have no to very little side effects. My Fav "Laghusootha mishrana"

Humidifier helps - A lot of us don't know that dryness in air is a major cause for allergies. No wonder Coastal folks never face anything such. I got a Humidity clock at home, and I knew that my conditions would go worse only when the clock hit 15-20% humidity.

Conditioning lungs is immensely important - For different people, different things help. Pranayama, Running, Cycling, even Weightlifting, all of these helps. More, the better. (Again, this might not work for all). Sport helps too. Football helped me alleviate my condition immediately, in a couple of days, my lungs would go into full capacity. Badminton could be a better sport for Delhi as it is playde indoors.

Exercise Indoors - Cycling in this weather would be a bad idea. Not sure if it will condition us better or make it worse.

Again, no better solution than moving to a different city. I remember the days where I had to constantly travel to Sydney on work, and when I would be back in Bangalore, my condition would get bad, and would improve in 1 day, when I was back in Sydney. Back then, I had to vow to fight my condition, to help me live in my own City. A lot of excercise, good food and conditioning was the only way it was going to work for me
vinya_jag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 19:06   #28
BHPian

I believe Govt has allowed industries to function and also the entry of Diesel vehicles as the pollution levels are down from “severe” to “average”.

It’s pathetic to note the callous attitude of the government in addressing the poor AQI levels. Instead of addressing the root cause they are always up and ready for stop-gap arrangements!

I hope and pray the situation doesn’t fall back to “severe” levels again and our friends in Delhi can breathe good air !
Old 8th November 2022, 23:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Not sure about N95 masks, but it is better than nothing.
N95 masks are pretty much useless (in relative terms compared to the below two options as this achieves just 95% filteration efficiency)

A slightly better option is to use N99 masks that will effectively block out 99% filtration efficiency and cost effective too.
3M N99 mask

A significantly better option is to use a P100 respirator that should block out micro particles with 99.97% efficiency although it is on the expensive side.
3M P100 respirator Amazon link

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th November 2022 at 23:24.
Old 18th October 2023, 15:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been visiting Mumbai once a year, or once in 2 years at least for the past 25 years. And I always stay in a couple of the same areas. Past two years, have been visiting around the October-December months and the past two years have easily been the worst I've seen Mumbai in terms of haze and visible pollution. I don't think even the rich and famous are going to escape this, I see the fancy apartments facing the sea also shrouded in haze when I'm out early morning. And that's so strange, I thought being near the sea would mitigate it. It's certainly gotten worse, confirmed by the numbers in the news recently.

Last edited by am1m : 18th October 2023 at 15:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks