Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2023, 15:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_blue View Post
Can you share any further info on this including what membership needs to be taken? I'm in Mumbai (south) too & would love to learn. Thanks!
So there are three Sailing clubs using the Gateway facilities:
  • Royal Bombay Yacht Club (RBYC)
  • Colaba Sailing Club (CSC)
  • Bombay Sailing Association (BSA) based in Alibaug (Mandwa)
Joining the BSA and the CSC is pretty simple and straightforward and they both own a few Seabirds (type/class of sailboat) and have access to the numerous boats owned by the RBYC.

I have been into sailing for quite a few years and I own a J24.

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-whatsapp-image-20230114-14.54.39.jpg

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-10285503_10152467470561115_5848795558442209283_o.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 19th January 2023 at 02:10. Reason: Typos, LIST added. Pictures inserted in-line.
Mad Monkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 18:19   #17
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
  • Royal Bombay Yacht Club (RBYC)
  • Colaba Sailing Club (CSC)
  • Bombay Sailing Association (BSA) based in Alibaug(Mandwa)
Aren't there many more clubs running from Gateway?

The reason I ask is I had a colleague who used to sail but wasn't from the three above (was "Gateway club" if I remember correctly). Also remember him telling that there are a lot of new clubs running membership based programs other than the clubs which are quite old and well known.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th January 2023 at 02:11. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 17th January 2023, 18:20   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Aren't there many more clubs running from Gateway?
Nope, all others are private boat charter companies with membership/ timeshare options.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th January 2023 at 02:11. Reason: Quote trimmed.
hazchem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 01:26   #19
BHPian

I did start this thread with small boats in mind. But, last week I passed a cruising certification exam, which allows me to rent sailboats up to 35 feet in length. These boats are like RVs for the ocean. A kitchen, dinette, beds for 4 to 6 people to sleep, couch/lounge etc. The best part is that it has a diesel engine, push button start, sensors for depth, radio, nav, helm lock, with easy furling/unfurling of all the sails.

I dont think I ever got 100% in any test after elementary school, and staying true to that philosophy, I just barely passed. In my defense, the text book was too big, and too many questions where I felt there was more than one right answer. Like why should one check to see if there are enough life vests. Federal regulation/best practice/state regulation/something else.

In any case, around here most clubs need just one card to rent out most boats. That card usually says Visa/Master on it. I am looking forward to renting out these bigger boats this spring, and I will be sure to share some pics.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 13:06   #20
BHPian

After going through the post I reached out to my fellow rider and esteemed friend, Reju Sir. He has just completed the sailing training in Goa. I requested him to pen down his journey to becoming a Helmsman, so it can help others. Below are his words that I am quoting.

Quote:
Training for Sailing ( Helmsman). Goa has good facilities for learning to sail.
1. Goa Yachting Association with their Optimist ( kids) and Seabird 21 class of boats and Windsurfing
2. Adventure Breaks of Kim Sabir with their new Seabird 21 boat
3. Sailing unit of Hotel Grand Hyatt.
Both GYA and Adventure Breaks boats are based at Dona Paula Jetty. GYA and Hyatt offer quick courses of 4-5 days.
But I chose to train with Adventure Breaks and Kim Sabir because Kim is an expert master sailor who had sailed on the older version of Seabird from Mumbai to Oman which is a feat by itself. Also, his course is spread over 12 sailing sessions and three theory classes, a more comprehensive training. The training is also spread out over several months to expose us to different Sea/wind conditions. And compared to common club boats like Optimist or Laser, Seabird is a bigger boat and gives a more holistic experience. Total cost was Rs. 24000/-

Sailing is done based on sea state, winds and tide. Like driving, good training and sailing experience makes you better. The training covered sailing aspects like points of sail, sail/rudder handling, Man overboard rescue techniques etc. The course started in December 2021 and ended with the 13th and graduation sail in December 2022. We learned to sail in light/high winds, Calm/Choppy seas.

After that, I took membership in GYA and is regularly taking their Seabird boat for sails.
Kim Sabir, Adventure Breaks phone 8975841178
abtyagi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 18:38   #21
BHPian

Ah, what a refreshing thread! Guys, I am a Marine Hull Surveyor at Goa and been connected professionally with watercrafts since last 34 years or so. As a surveyor, I get to inspect a range of watercrafts from fishing vessels (right from a canoe to a purse-seiner), barges, tourist boats, yachts, dumb pontoons, tugs, OSVs, sailing boats, motor boats etc.

Initially I started as a surveyor of ocean going vessels such as bulk carriers, tankers, containers etc. The job encompassed draft surveys, onhire-ofhire surveys, bunker surveys and damage surveys. Sailing to anchorage on pilot launches, boarding the vessel at sea, using a pilot ladder or monkey ladder used to be fun (as well as quite risky at times when you have to board an empty ship with high freeboard of say around 9-10 meters at pitch dark night and the sea is quite rough with heavy swell) that I enjoyed thoroughly.

I have friends (clients turned friends) here at Goa who are into sailing (Hobiecats). The Navy has a sailing club where I used to get invited by a few of my Navy officer friends for a sunday sailing fiesta, now not much.

Here is a fishing trawler that I surveyd today (31st January, 2023)

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20230131_095145a.jpg

Some other vessels that I surveyed in recent times are here
Attached Thumbnails
Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-dscn3879a.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-dscn3918a.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-ee.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20210205_141811.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20220418_153945.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20220422_165118.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20220524_110229.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20220526_153612.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20220526_154710.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20220810_155005.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20220920_095035.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20220924_213401.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20221014_121610.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20221130_171317.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20230120_131656a.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20230123_151314.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20230126_163843a.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img20220105wa001001.jpeg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img20220112wa0002.jpg  

Attached Images

ashkamath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 09:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Some other vessels that I surveyed in recent times are here
Wow, what a cool job!

Had no idea jet skis needed to be inspected/surveyed as well. Do surveyors inspect all the jet skis used by the Drishti Lifeguards as well? How does it work? Is this voluntary, as in the owner of the vessel asks for an inspection, or periodic and regulatory, where they can't operate the vessel without these checks?

(Thanks in advance for any info!)
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 00:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Wow, what a cool job!

Had no idea jet skis needed to be inspected/surveyed as well. Do surveyors inspect all the jet skis used by the Drishti Lifeguards as well? How does it work? Is this voluntary, as in the owner of the vessel asks for an inspection, or periodic and regulatory, where they can't operate the vessel without these checks?
It's indeed a cool job. It's like one long never ending vacation

Jet Skis (also knows as water scooters) are Personal Water crafts used for pleasure rides. These water crafts can be for personal use or commercial use. In Goa, there are a few people who own these Jet skis for their personal use while majority of them are used commercially by water sports service providers.

Now, Just as the RTO over sees all road transport operations in India, there are various Govt bodies that over see water crafts operations in India. DG Shipping (Directorate General of Shipping) being the apex / central authority for implementation / regulation of shipping policy and legislation so as to ensure the safety of life and ships at sea, prevention of marine pollution and more. Then there are state controlled Govt authorities such as the fisheries department, tourism department, river water navigation, Captain of Ports department (only in Goa), MMD etc that are responsible to regulate a specific section of these watercrafts. For example, the fisheries department regulates the fishing vessels while the water sports boats are regulated by the Captain of Ports department. Each have their set of rules / regulations inline with guidelines laid down by DGS.

All water crafts are required to be surveyed as per the Govt regulations. A fishing vessel has to be surveyed annually for it's seaworthiness. This survey report is necessary to avail the various subsidies the department provides to the fishing vessel owners. A water sports vessel such as jet ski or a parasail vessel or a speed boat needs to be surveyed generally once in two or three years. A survey of a water craft is necessary for the following reasons.

1. to ensure that the vessel is seaworthy.
2. Valuation report of the vessel for insurance purpose
3. Survey of the vessel when any changes are made to the hull and / or machinery that necessiates the registration certificate to be amended
4. Sale of the vessel
5. Under construction vessels
6. surveys for Banks for loan purposes.
7. Insurance Claim surveys when a mishap occurs
8. Draft / Bunker / On hire-Off Hire surveys of ocean going ships
9. Classification surveys

I have surveyed Dristi Lifeguard jet skis like many other jet skis here. It is mandatory and the vessel cannot operate without a survey. ( Of course there will always be some people who operate their boats without any documents, but they are not legal)

A watercraft (Jet ski, fishing boat, barge whatever) cannot operate in Goan waters unless it is registered ( just like how one registers a scooter / car with RTO) and obtain a registration number. And for the purpose of registration, a survey is mandatory and that is one of the instances where we intervene / offer our services.

We are technically qualified independent professionals considered as a competent authority to conduct surveys and arbitrate when a situation arises. It's a pretty cool profession. You ride a jet ski, a parasail boat, a speed boat or an yacht and get paid for it. Quite gratifying for the soul.
ashkamath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:07   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now, Just as the RTO over sees all road transport operations in India, there are various Govt bodies that over see water crafts operations in India.
We are technically qualified independent professionals considered as a competent authority to conduct surveys and arbitrate when a situation arises.
Thank you for all that interesting information! Wishing you several more great years in your fulfilling and valuable profession! It's a real pleasure to see the fishing boats bobbing up and down in the water and the sweeping turns they take when leaving and entering the Sal at Betul. Haven't been to Dona Paula to watch the sailing scene there yet, will do that soon.

Last edited by am1m : 2nd February 2023 at 09:11.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 09:50   #25
BHPian

It was a gorgeous day to sail today. Before winter sets in, I have been taking all my friends sailing every weekend this month.
Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img20231029wa0003.jpg

Today we got lucky and we sailed along the mighty Californian.
Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img20231029wa0023.jpg

It's a famous boat maintained by the San Diego maritime museum.
Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img20231029wa0012.jpg
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 23:59   #26
BHPian

I have taken my son and my friends out sailing many times in the last year. My wife and daughter have not been too keen. So when my daughter asked me "what do you want to do for Father's Day", I said "Lets go sailing". She could not say no. Both my kids are ~20, so they are not really at an age where I can coax them into doing anything.

Both my kids hopped on board with some food and drinks and we had a great time. Although it was a gloomy day, the sun never popped out. Here is a picture of the Coronado bridge. It was mighty windy so, I sailed with just the mainsail, and did not unfurl the jib.
Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img20240616wa0007.jpg

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 19th June 2024 at 00:01.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 10:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Both my kids hopped on board with some food and drinks and we had a great time. Although it was a gloomy day, the sun never popped out. Here is a picture of the Coronado bridge. It was mighty windy so, I sailed with just the mainsail, and did not unfurl the jib.
Attachment 2618236
Hey Gutsy, many thanks for your post. It sounds like you had a great time sailing with family. Please do post a few pics of your vessel. I would love to see it.

Back here in Goa, India, I have sailed a couple of times onboard my friend's Hobie Cat (pics below), It's not exactly a conventional sailing vessel, but is still a lot of fun. Then, One of my client has a sail boat (pic below), a 21 footer, locally built in India with 6 crew capacity.

Pardon me, these are old photos from my mobile, as I am traveling now.

Happy Sailing!
Attached Thumbnails
Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-screenshot_20240619102527526_com.whatsapp.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-img_20240619_102558.jpg  

Sailing on small boats | Any sailing fans on Team-BHP?-screenshot_20240619102629530_com.whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by ashkamath : 19th June 2024 at 10:46.
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 22:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Gutsy, many thanks for your post. It sounds like you had a great time sailing with family. Please do post a few pics of your vessel. I would love to see it.
I am a member of a local yacht club. The club has some 60 boats of all sizes. 22' keel boats to 45' catamarans. I am licensed to take out sailboats up to 35'. I pay a monthly fee, but I can take out any boat that I am licensed for. The picture in post #1 is a Capri 22' that I took out this last weekend. It can take 6 adults, and is sufficient for a weekend outing. I like being part of the club. The boats are maintained by staff, they are in the water ready to go. I dont have the time to maintain a boat, and my garage has other toys, no room for a boat

Hobie cats are fun, happy sailing!

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 19th June 2024 at 22:44.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks