Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2023, 15:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners

21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/na...wardees-472977

https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...ients-8399814/

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday 23rd January 2023 named 21 largest unnamed islands of Andaman and Nicobar Islands after 21 Param Vir Chakra awardees to mark Parakaram Diwas, the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.

Islands are protected by the Navy and its ships described on these pages

With this, these brave and patriotic men will be remembered forever.

The story of each in brief below. These tiny narratives do no just to the situation they faced and conquered. To get the full story I suggest this book - "Param Vir - Our Heroes in Battle" by Major General Ian Cardozo.

I for one am delighted by this honour of our PVC winners. I am related on both my parents' side with Major Somnath Sharma the first PVC winner.

Members who respond to this post are requested to respect these men and keep politics or religion out of the discussion.

Quote:
Major Somnath Sharma: In the Battle of Badgam that took place on November 3, 1947, Major Sharma led the solitary company of 4th Battalion, Kumaon Regiment, and tried to defend the Srinagar airport against Pakistani raiders, who heavily outnumbered the Indian troops at the post. Major Sharma held the airstrips against Pakistani troops who were literally on the airfield long enough for Indian reinforcements to land by air transport. He went into battle already injured with a broken arm. Sharma along with one junior commissioned officer and 20 others lost their lives. He became the first-ever recipient of the PVC. His action that day literally saved Srinagar from being run over by the Pakistanis.

Subedar and Hony Captain (then Lance Naik) Karam Singh: On October 13, 1948, Singh thwarted the Pakistani army from occupying the Tithwal sector in Jammu and Kashmir during the first Indo-Pakistani war. Despite being injured in the heavy shelling from the Pakistan side, he didn’t leave the ground and not only fought valiantly but also freed two Indian jawans from captivity.

Second Lieutenant Rama Raghoba Rane: Played an instrumental role in helping Indian forces occupy Rajouri, Jammu and Kashmir, as the Pakistan Army shelled the area on April 8, 1948. Rane ducked under India’s Stuart tank and began crawling with it. “He synchronized himself with the movements of dangerous tank wheels and navigated the tank through the minefield and directed its movement by a rope tied to the tank driver, thus, securing a safe lane for the advancing Indian tanks”, the website said.

Naik Jadunath Singh: On February 6, 1948, the Pakistan military attacked Singh, who was a post commander at Tain Dhar near Naushera in Jammu and Kashmir, and his post. Despite being severely injured and losing several of his men, he attacked the enemy with a Sten Gun and warded them off. However, Singh lost his life during the battle and was awarded the PVC posthumously.

Company Havildar Major Piru Singh: Part of a company tasked to capture a Pakistani post at Tithwal in Jammu and Kashmir, Singh died while carrying out the operation on July 18, 1948. Records show that during the mission, Singh and other Indian troops came under a barrage of medium machine gun (MMG) firings and grenade attacks. Even after all of his comrades were killed, the Company Havildar Major managed to destroy “the enemy position before breathing his last.”

Captain GS Salaria: Successfully defended the UN Headquarters at Elizabethville (now known as Lubumbashi) in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. On December 5, 1961, his Gorkha Company was supposed to remove a roadblock established by the Katangese troops but they met with a strong enemy opposition. Salaria and his men fought courageously and managed to kill around 40 of the enemy troops, forcing them to flee the spot. The Captain sustained severe injuries on his neck and died soon after.

Lieutenant Colonel (then Major) Dhan Singh Thapa: Commander of a forward post in Ladakh during the Sino-Indian war, Thapa and his men were attacked by the Chinese troops, who substantially outnumbered them, on October 20, 1962. In their first two attempts, the Chinese failed to overrun the Indian forces and it was only when they charged for the third time with the help of tanks that they took hold of the post. “Major Dhan Singh Thapa killed several enemy soldiers in hand-to-hand combat before he was finally overpowered,” said the National War Memorial’s website.

Subedar Joginder Singh: Died on October 23, 1962, while defending his post in Bumla, Arunachal Pradesh, against the Chinese military. Despite losing most of his men, Singh, who was the commander of the platoon posted there, didn’t evacuate and held his position. The National War Memorial’s website mentions, “Subedar Joginder himself manned an LMG (light machine gun) and shot down a number of enemy troops.”

Major Shaitan Singh: Put up a brave fight on November 18, 1962, against the Chinese attack while he was commanding his platoon at Rezang La in Jammu and Kashmir, located at a height of about 17,000 feet. Singh incurred grievous injuries yet continued to move from one platoon post to another while motivating his men and helping them fight the enemy. When he was asked to evacuate, Singh refused to go and fought till the end.

Company Quartermaster Havildar Abdul Hamid: Is best remembered for commanding a jeep-mounted RCL Gun Detachment and destroying two of Pakistan’s tanks during the Indo-Pak war of 1965. Hamid didn’t stop attacking the enemy even when they spotted his jeep and he helped his detachment to destroy seven more Pakistani tanks before sustaining fatal injuries.

Lieutenant Colonel Ardeshir Burzorji Tarapore: On September 11, 1965, Lieutenant Colonel Tarapore’s Regiment was attacked in the Sialkot Sector. However, his regiment held its ground and gallantly attacked Phillora. Despite being wounded, Lieutenant Colonel Tarapore refused to be evacuated and led his Regiment to capture Wazirwali, Jassoran and Butur-Dograndi. Inspired by his leadership, his team destroyed 60 Pakistan tanks.

Lance Naik Albert Ekka: On December 4, 1971, during the battle of Gangasagar, Lance Naik Ekka noticed an enemy LMG inflicting heavy casualty on his company. With disregard for his personal safety, he charged the enemy bunker, bayoneted two enemy soldiers and silenced the LMG. Suddenly another MMG opened up from a building. Despite being mortally injured, he crawled forward and lobbed a grenade, killing one soldier. The MMG was finally silenced after Lance Naik Ekka entered the building and took down the gunner in hand-to-hand combat.

Major Hoshiar Singh: On December 15, 1971, Major Hoshiar Singh’s company was ordered to capture the enemy locality of Jarpal. During the assault, his company came under intense shelling. Undeterred, he led the charge and captured the objective after a fierce hand-to-hand fight. He then successfully motivated his troops to repulse wave after wave of enemy counter attacks, despite being heavily wounded, even manning a machine gun post just by himself after enemy fire had taken down its operators. His leadership and bravery helped the Indian Army to keep control of the objective and eventually win the War.

Second Lt Arun Khetarpal: On December 16, 1971, Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal voluntarily moved to reinforce ‘B’ Squadron at Shakargarh sector, Punjab, on receiving an urgent call for reinforcements. Enroute, his tanks came under heavy fire from enemy strong points which he destroyed to reach ‘B’ Squadron. What followed was a fierce tank battle destroying ten enemy tanks – Khetarpal himself took out four. Despite being badly injured, he refused to pull back, shooting down one more enemy tank, before succumbing to a second enemy shell. He was only 21 years of age.

Flying Officer Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon: On December 14, 1971, Srinagar airfield was bombed by two Pakistani Sabre aircraft. Despite the risk to his own life, Flying Officer Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon took off on his Gnat fighter, which was seriously disadvantaged over the Pakistani Sabres in low altitude, from the damaged runway and engaged with the enemy. He brought down one aircraft and seriously damaged another. By this time four more Pakistani Sabre aircraft had arrived. Heavily outnumbered, Flying Officer Sekhon’s aircraft was shot down, killing him in the crash. Till date, he remains the only PVC awardee from the Indian Air Force.

Major Ramaswamy Parameswaran: On November 25, 1987, while returning from a search operation in Sri Lanka, Major Ramaswamy Parameswaran’s team was ambushed. Showing presence of mind, he quickly organised his forces, outflanking the militants. When shot in the chest, Major Parameswaran snatched back the rifle from the militant, shooting him dead. Gravely wounded, he continued to give orders and inspired his command till he breathed his last. His action not only saved his team but also helped eliminate five militants and retrieve a big cache of weapons and ammunition.

Naib Subedar Bana Singh: On June 26, 1987, Naib Subedar Bana Singh volunteered for a task force to clear Quaid Post, held by Pak Army in the Siachen Glacier, at an altitude of 21,000 feet. Siachen’s extreme climate with intense blizzards, temperature of nearly – 50 degree celsius and shortage of oxygen were the biggest threat to survival. Scaling a 457 m high ice wall amidst zero visibility, Naib Subedar Singh and his team charged Pakistani positions, killing the enemy with grenades and bayonets.

Captain Vikram Batra: On July 7, 1999, his company was tasked to capture a feature on Point 4875 in Ladakh. In a fierce hand-to-hand fight, he killed five enemy soldiers. Despite sustaining grave injuries, he led his men from the front in the face of heavy enemy fire, before attaining martyrdom. Inspired by his courageous act, his troops annihilated the enemy and captured Point 4875 . Captain Batra’s catchphrase “Yeh Dil Maange More” has become an enduring symbol of the courage of the Indian Army.

Lt Manoj Kumar Pandey: On July 3, 1999, his company came under heavy enemy fire. According to his PVC citation, he fearlessly assaulted the enemy, killing four enemy troops and destroying two bunkers. Although bleeding profusely, he continued to lead his men clearing bunker after bunker, often taking on the enemy in fierce hand-to-hand combat. Leading his men to successfully capture their objective, he made the ultimate sacrifice for the nation.

Subedar Major (then Rifleman) Sanjay Kumar: On July 4, 1999, Rifleman Kumar charged at the enemy firing at his team from well-entrenched positions. In the subsequent physical combat, he sustained grave injuries but killed 3 enemy soldiers in one position before attacking the next. His surprising attack made the enemy flee and enabled the Indian Army to capture the previously occupied Flat Top point.

Subedar Major and Hony Captain Yogesh Singh Yadav (retired): On July 3/4, 1999, his team came under intense firing from the enemy camped in strong points on top of Tiger Hill. Yadav crawled to the enemy position in an attempt to silence it, killing four enemy combatants in close combat despite suffering grave injuries himself. His gallantry inspired the rest of his team to capture the Tiger Hill Top, a major objective for the Indian Army.
The Param Vir Chakra medal
Attached Images

Last edited by V.Narayan : 24th January 2023 at 15:31.
V.Narayan is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 17:06   #2
BHPian

Re: The Indian Navy - Combat Fleet

Noticed this on the news, nice initiative. Guess it's similar to how they renamed an AFS after Air Marshal Singh. Got me thinking however, in the IN, is there any precedence for naming ships after people? My understanding Vikramaditya is named after a king from antiquity but I meant in the modern sense - any naming after people who would've been alive post independence onwards? Is this something that you could see changing in future or is it unlikely to occur?

Also, am I correct then in noticing that there are no IN awardees for the PVC?
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 18:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Got me thinking however, in the IN, is there any precedence for naming ships after people? My understanding Vikramaditya is named after a king from antiquity but I meant in the modern sense - any naming after people who would've been alive post independence onwards?

So far we do not have a system of naming warships after people. It can get political very fast as it has in USA. Like the Royal Navy our ships are named for non-people things like places, geographical features, weapons, big fishes, animals, words representing valour, character etc. Yes, so far there are no PVC winners from the IN, one from the IAF and 20 from the Army. It reflects how meritorious and strict the giving out of the PVC is.
V.Narayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 19:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
So far we do not have a system of naming warships after people. It can get political very fast as it has in USA. Like the Royal Navy our ships are named for non-people things like places, geographical features, weapons, big fishes, animals, words representing valour, character etc.
Agreed. Much easier to avoid any controversy by sticking to inanimate objects, places, concepts or animals. Here's hoping it stays that way.

Quote:
Yes, so far there are no PVC winners from the IN, one from the IAF and 20 from the Army. It reflects how meritorious and strict the giving out of the PVC is.
I hadn't realised how few awardees there are, so clearly incredibly strict criteria. Thanks for sharing though.
ads11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 21:16   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

The story of each in brief below. These tiny narratives do no just to the situation they faced and conquered. To get the full story I suggest this book - "Param Vir - Our Heroes in Battle" by Major General Ian Cardozo.
Thank you for sharing this. Very few people know what these brave warriors faced and sacrificed. This post should be moved to a new thread for greater visibility.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 05:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: 21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners

21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 07:34   #7
BHPian

I think this is an excellent opportunity to plug in The Param Veer Chakra comic series, by Gen Ian Cardozo (R). A complete set of 11 comics can be bought here
https://www.amazon.in/Set-Param-Vir-.../dp/8194206839

Makes a wonderful gift for your kids.
By personal experience, I can vouch, they are awesome.

21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners-pvc-comic.jpg

PS. Gen Ian Cardozo himself is a colourful character. During the 1971 war, he stepped on a landmine and it exploded. As there were no medical facilities available nearby, this lion amputated his own leg with a khukri!!!

Later on, he refused to let his wooden leg stop him. Just to prove himself fit, be beat other able bodied officers in physical fitness tests. Then he hounded the then COAS, Gen Raina to be put back on active service. Gen Raina, finding the test results unbelievable, asked Ian to accompany him to Ladakh. After noticing, the prosthetic did not hinder in any way, Cardozo put him back on active command.

It is apt, such a brave heart, tell us the stories of other brave hearts.
RedTerrano is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 08:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Got me thinking however, in the IN, is there any precedence for naming ships after people?

Quote:
So far we do not have a system of naming warships after people.
There are no defence ships named after PVC holders, however there was a set of Merchant ships under Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) which had many Oil Tankers named after PVC holders. This was in the 80s and these ships ran till the 2000s. All these are scrapped today as they completed their life of 20-30 years.

The Shipping Corporation of India (SCI), a Government of India enterprise under the aegis of the Ministry of Shipping, named 15 of her Crude oil tankers in honour of the Param Vir Chakra recipients.

Some of the ships that I had spotted early in my career were:
MT Lieutenant Rama Raghoba Rane PVC.
MT Major Shaitan Singh PVC.
MT Lance Naik Albert Ekka PVC.

I tried to find the list of all 15 ships but could not find it. Please share if available.

Name:  ACECBFADC5EA41E0A96BDB33734AF40E.jpeg
Views: 277
Size:  64.4 KB
Photo source: Twitter.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 25th January 2023 at 08:16.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 14:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday 23rd January 2023 named 21 largest unnamed islands of Andaman and Nicobar Islands after 21 Param Vir Chakra awardees to mark Parakaram Diwas, the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.

Islands are protected by the Navy and its ships described on these pages

I for one am delighted by this honour of our PVC winners. I am related on both my parents' side with Major Somnath Sharma the first PVC winner.
Thank you for sharing this. I saw this separately in the news, and it gladdens me that we are recognizing those who did and gave much more than we ever can. My regards to your family and the proud inheritors of Maj. Sharma's legacy.

I don't know if anyone recalls the TV series of the same name, made by DD in the 80s. As a small child, I was glued to it.
v1p3r is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 20:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
--
--
Thanks for sharing and bringing it to notice

Quote:
Very rare privilege to be bestowed with such an honor! Salute to your family.

Please allow me to share one other instance of getting close to such immortal piece of history - the Shaurya Smarak war memorial located at Bhopal.
Sometime back, I had visited this awe-inspiring, much-respected, goosebumps-notwithstanding war memorial - and I was simply overwhelmed, overcome with emotions then (..as I am now).
(few details listed from my travelogue here)

For the uninitiated, and for those who are keen to know more, repeating what I understood:-
Quote:
The memorial contains a museum depicting galleries of war heroes who had exhibited the highest level of gallantry in various wars till date.
Pictures of wars from ancient times to the modern day have been showcased. The museum also displays handmade art pieces and portraits of war heroes along with the different arms and medals of honor.

Nowhere, I repeat nowhere, not in our textbooks, can one find such great amount of details. Hats off and a grand salute to the creators!!

My favorite part of the museum is the section where one comes across the numerous portraits of the war heroes, who fought gallantly for India and created history - for all of us to be inspired and learn from them!
Something more..a poignant message for all:-

21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners-20181228_173031.jpg

And finally, the one symbolizing the ultimate sacrifice:-

21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners-20181228_172837.jpg
JoshMachine is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 14:21   #11
BHPian

Thank you Narayan sir for starting this thread and bring this news to the attention of a larger audience

I got this few years ago to introduce my little girl about these real heroes. All of us enjoyed reading it. My little one devoured it in couple of days. Lots of goosebumps inducing stories. Our next generation have to be reminded of these sacrifices time and again.

21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners-img_20230126_141844.jpg

21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners-img_20230126_141849.jpg

Someone wrote about 80s Doordarshan TV show Param Vir Chakra in this thread. I too have fond memories of being glued to TV
srvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 18:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

The list of islands:

21 islands of Andaman & Nicobar named after Param Vir Chakra winners-dd579ca6686343e8a015f7f34e1ab940.jpeg

Source: My India My Glory.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks