Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 16:26   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Indigo, Go-First scam? Mangalore airport closed, but airlines accepting booking and cancelling later

Hello All,

I had booked Mumbai-Mangalore-Mumbai flights through MakeMyTrip for the month of April. The first booking was done through Go First on which was subsequently cancelled a few days later citing "Operational Issues". We then booked tickets through Indigo, which were subsequently cancelled a few days later citing "Operational Issues".

Upon checking with a few people, we were informed that Mangalore Airport has closed flight operations during the day time until May. This could be the main reason why the flights were cancelled.

If that is the case, why are airlines and travel portals accepting bookings for those period / timing and then cancelling the bookings.

Anyone else face this issue?
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 18:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indigo, Go-First scam? Mangalore airport closed but airlines accepting booking and cancelling la

Have you tried the early morning Air India flight AI679/680 ? It seems to be the only flight operational during day time. I see the AI A319 taking off daily early in the morning (earlier it used to be 12:30 PM departure from Mangalore)

Arrivals/Departures from Mangalore airport these days are from 6 PM onwards till 9AM the next day.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 19:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indigo, Go-First scam? Mangalore airport closed but airlines accepting booking and cancelling la

Did they charge you some cancellation fee as well?

I am not privy to what’s going on within Indigo, but, this might be a result of a non-existent real time integration somewhere in the chain.

What you say makes imminent sense, to not accept the booking at all! However, it might not be possible depending on how the different stakeholders (airport/airline/regulator/booking agent) exchange such information and whether it is in real time.

On a different note, after reading the railway cancel-resume fiasco being discussed on another thread, I would still be happy if the airline returns my money in advance.
Old 4th March 2023, 20:06   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hello All,

I had booked Mumbai-Mangalore-Mumbai flights through MakeMyTrip for the month of April. The first booking was done through Go First on which was subsequently cancelled a few days later citing "Operational Issues". We then booked tickets through Indigo, which were subsequently cancelled a few days later citing "Operational Issues".

Upon checking with a few people, we were informed that Mangalore Airport has closed flight operations during the day time until May. This could be the main reason why the flights were cancelled.

If that is the case, why are airlines and travel portals accepting bookings for those period / timing and then cancelling the bookings.

I am surprised by this as airlines have to file the summer and winter schedule in advance and if there is airport closure, they need to file revised schedule. Are you sure you booked the flights directly with Indigo and the flight timing is between 9.30 AM to 6PM? I could see only Flights till 9.20 AM and post 6.00PM in their website from Mangalore.

I read recently that Vietjet were taking booking for Blr to Vietnam but on travel day, people found out that they don't even have operations started I don't even know how is it even possible.

Regarding MMT and other booking sites, less said the better. They will do anything for their cash flow. During COVID many were cheated and they held on to the refund money. I generally stay away from them and book directly.
Old 4th March 2023, 22:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
When did you book? IXE airport runway closure during the day has been in effect since end of January.

Did you get PNR in either of the booking? If you did, then it would be the respective airline which is at fault. Otherwise it's MakeMyTrip which showed you a non-existent flight schedule and allowed you to book.
Old 5th March 2023, 12:12   #6
BHPian

It does appear unethical but that said every major airline opens bookings for sectors and destinations where they have no current permission or ability to fly but are expecting to do so in future. It's quite common internationally and there's a risk associated with booking such tickets. That's why its a good idea to check historical flight data on flightaware to get some idea on whether the flight is operating / was operating, etc.

From the airline perspective permissions to operate are given at short notice (sometimes as little as 72 hours) so opening up booking 3-5 days before start of operations makes no sense economically.

It's borderline unethical - in the same league as overbooking.
Old 5th March 2023, 12:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

This happened to me during the Bangalore Aero show. Had booked tickets on Akasa air without realizing it was the Aero show week. Even after the show dates and runway closures were announced, the airline website and many ticketing portals were offering tickets for the affected flights. Only a week before the flight did I receive a message that my flight has been rescheduled to some unruly hour. I am still waiting for the refund for almost three weeks since.

Need to figure out whom to complain. DGCA?
Old 5th March 2023, 15:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Had booked tickets on Akasa air without realizing it was the Aero show week. .. . I am still waiting for the refund for almost three weeks since.
AirAsia was prompt in my refund for the same situation. I believe the time slots for the Aero-show practice sorties was published quite late, and as soon as that was announced, AirAsia had sent a cancellation message for the onward journey. They allowed either a full refund / reschedule option. I opted for refund since I had to change both legs of the journey. At least in my case, the whole episode looked clean, and didnt have any issues.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 12:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am still waiting for the refund for almost three weeks since.

Need to figure out whom to complain. DGCA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
AirAsia was prompt in my refund for the same situation.
So in my case, it was EaseMyTrip who was the culprit, not AirAsia. Even after the airline confirmed that the refund was processed from their end, the travel agent kept on giving the same excuse that they are waiting for airline confirmation. Finally, after I Tweeted and tagged their CEO, got the message that they have initiated the refund. Wonder how the issue that was pending for over a month got magically resolved within a day of the tweet.

I even got a call from EaseMyTrip requesting to delete the tweet in exchange for a refund of their service fee of Rs.300 Asked him to get lost.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks