Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2023, 12:21   #31
BHPian

Re: What on earth is Hotstar doing? Is the subscription worth it anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Are you guys continuing with your Hotstar subscription? Without HBO & F1, I see no reason to. Hotstar is weakening its base at a time when other players are coming out with top-class content.
I got Hotstar as a package from my cell provider (Airtel) - 1 yr unlimited screening! I guess this expires during Jul 2023 and post that it’s curtains for their app on my phone! As you rightly summarized Hotstar is just throwing dirt hoping to keep the base viewers active!
Old 6th April 2023, 13:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Hotstar is total crap now, but I have to keep it for my kid and some series' (House of Dragons) which I would have happily got from utorrent 10 years back

It's a shame that I used to watch all time favourites like Terminator 2, Predator, Independence Day on Star movies at cheap cable prices back in the day. They are simply not there on Hotstar.
As for uTorrent/Torrents, you can still access and download whatever you wish. I regularly use it for downloading foreign shows not available in India / classics, etc. After installing utorrent, use HMA-Proxy and browse to 1337x.to

Search for content and download.

Warning: Utorrents /torrents have always been a risky affair, so exercise caution and be alert. Some firewall/antivirus tweaking may be required if prompted.
dee_dust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 13:22   #33
VVN
BHPian

Quote:
Till very recently, Hotstar used to brag about:

- IPL rights

- Showing Formula 1 races

Are you guys continuing with your Hotstar subscription? Without HBO & F1, I see no reason to. Hotstar is weakening its base at a time when other players are coming out with top-class content.
One word - No

Hotstar has become a bully by introducing forced ads in their lowest tier. The content is now boring and with HBO gone, they have lost their USP. I am with them only for the Premier League. I will be switching to an alternative source after the current season. Same for SonyLiv. I will continue with Netflix for some more time because I am in the middle of a few series'. As soon as they introduce their low tier ad filled subscription nonsense, I am out.

Last edited by VVN : 6th April 2023 at 13:25.
Old 6th April 2023, 14:18   #34
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Hotstar comes bundled with my Vi connection, so don't have to pay anything! I still use it to watch Cricket matches mostly. Also, I'm yet to see some of their popular shows like Homeland,Billions,Americans,etc.
Old 6th April 2023, 16:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you guys continuing with your Hotstar subscription? Without HBO & F1
I didn't renewed my subscription last month. Put 500 more and subscribed to F1 TV Apart from this I am subscribed to YouTube Premium, Amazon Prime and Sony Liv respectively.

Last edited by myavu : 6th April 2023 at 16:35.
Old 6th April 2023, 16:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
Off topic, but how good is the Ken membership? I really love business news and well researched articles like these. I read every finshots article on the day, and looks like Ken is the next level from finshots.

But, at 3000INR per year, seems a bit excessive. What is your opinion on this?

I guess some sort of account sharing is the way to reduce burden of the high cost.

you don't need to pay anything, use https://12ft.io/, this site will give you free to read version of same article, it works due to Google crawler.
maverickNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 17:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
Off topic, but how good is the Ken membership? I really love business news and well researched articles like these. I read every finshots article on the day, and looks like Ken is the next level from finshots...
Ken is decent but nothing extra ordinary. Have its membership and while the articles seemed really good initially, after sometime you realize it is regular stuff packed with extra chat maasala. Surprisingly, Finshots does a fabulous job despite being free!

I'll probably try Economic Times Prime membership next.
Old 6th April 2023, 17:21   #38
BHPian

Being a football fan, I will keep using Hotstar until it streams the Premier League matches. I do not need to pay for the subscription too since it comes bundled with my jio fiber connection; as does Sony liv and Voot. so Jio is keeping my football needs covered.
Old 6th April 2023, 17:21   #39
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Never even bothered with Hotstar, HBO, etc. as I have never watched cricket.
Moved off Netflix as they, much like Crunchyroll, started removing what I liked and region-locked a lot of stuff.
Prime Video still remains as a side-effect of Prime subscription and I use it once in a while.

For most of my episodic media consumption, I use Muse Asia on YouTube.

Basically given up on OTT due to excessive explicit content. I am here for a good story and not biology chapter 9.

Anime is what fuels my ICE

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th April 2023 at 19:53. Reason: Please refrain from discussing illegal media consumption methods. Thanks.
Old 6th April 2023, 18:02   #40
IFB
BANNED

Quote:
Till very recently, Hotstar used to brag about:

- Top-class content & shows from HBO
I only use to subscribe to Hotstar because of HBO only. I am planning not to renew it after subscription time gets over.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th April 2023 at 19:53. Reason: quote tags
Old 6th April 2023, 18:49   #41
BHPian

Very true Hotstar has lost its charm among the English content viewers. I have the subscription as it comes with my Airtel monthly pack but have not even opened the app in months. I did watch some really good series like Prison Break, Last man standing, How I met your mother, True Detective and Sopranos etc. but there is hardly any thing new on this platform which interests me. Netflix is not offering much either but it still has some content that I like and doing repeat watch.
Old 6th April 2023, 19:56   #42
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support:

Request to avoid discussing illegal media consumption methods. Thanks!
Old 6th April 2023, 20:16   #43
BHPian

Wish I could give up Hotstar subscription. But family won't allow, as they enjoy a few Tamil language shows on the platform.

And of course, son won't permit it, due to all those Marvel shows and movies!
Old 6th April 2023, 20:23   #44
BHPian

Oh man, I feel like such a weirdo here. I have had a Hotstar subscription for a long time and I've never watched a single sports event including cricket or F1. I was running out of patience watching the first episode of GOT and never watched another episode. Did not care for any of the other HBO content either.

Whatever I need - it's still there. Marvel, Star Wars, and lots and lots of old animated movies like Bambi, Winnie the Pooh series, Timon and Pumbaa, etc.

And there are still sitcoms like How I met your mother, Malcolm in the Middle, and Modern Family to rewatch to get through a cloudy day.

The complete collection of National Geographic shows are still available. Countless series like Cosmos, Earth Moods, and anything that ends like Wild Secrets are very much rewatchable.

So, I won't be missing anything that has left Hotstar. Only wish they would reduce the price since they won't be paying for IPL/HBO. And they need to improve their mobile/web experience when compared to Netflix/Prime.
Old 6th April 2023, 20:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

All the good content on Hotstar is gone other than the Star Wars universe stuff. Shall not be renewing it again for sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks