Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Sun or dirt. Which is the lesser of the two evils?
Option 1: The Sun 35 70.00%
Option 2: The dirt 15 30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 20:58   #31
BANNED

Sun is better than all that $h!t.

Your car is white. So, either you can buy a cover and protect it or get it polished frequently with some additional Sunblock from 3M etc...!
I am sure you also need it a lot!
Old 25th July 2007, 21:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
The car is white.
sun is preferred. color is not that prone to damage. regd your comfort, why not install a remote starter (drive still possible only with the key), and start the car on AC 10 mins before you start. starting with heater is a common practice here in states in sub zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures.

can't believe i will say that (wasting fossil fuel), but recently i have become quite accommodating to other's comfort needs

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 25th July 2007 at 21:15.
Old 26th July 2007, 08:29   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If i park in the shade and put a cover on the car, the cover would be coated in bird crap, wet with the AC water and filthy with the dust/twigs/leaves, all of which would mix together to form a disgusting gooey paste. No way in hell will I then get myself filthy folding that cover and putting it the boot, causing the car to then stink up.
Before dismissing the idea one should spend some time thinking. All those above mentioned will happen for sure, and there are ways to tackle that. Spend some money for your office boys or any local chai shop walla to clean that for you. It can surely be done on a regular basis. I really don't see any big issue there.
Quote:
So i guess the basic question is, which would be more harmful. Daily exposure to the sun, or daily exposure to the goo!
BOTH. Now you decide. I'll not reply to this thread any more but will track to see the right solution.
Old 26th July 2007, 10:23   #34
BANNED

Robeen,

Park in the sun. I know you cant stand a car covered with bird ****. I have exactly the same problem park under a tree on the road or in the compound where car is safe from scratches in full sun. I chose the sun.

Suggestion get one of those Son of a Gun dashboard cleaning/shining bottles and coat your dashboard once every month. That will prevent your dashboard from discolouration. Also leave the window open a bit to let the hot air escape and prevent interiors from steaming up. Would recommend a window visor even though it looks crappy it does have a lot of advantages to it. No prob of water entering during rains if you want to vent windows or for smokers to let out the smoke keeping ac on.

Viper
Old 26th July 2007, 10:46   #35
Team-BHP Support

I have a nice solar visor which i put on the front glass when I park. It's a reflective sheet which you just open it and put it on the front glass using the suction cups.

Very effective and cost is Rs.75.
Old 26th July 2007, 11:09   #36
BHPian

I would second tsk on his opinion. I have a tough time, removing the marks whenever the AC's water drips onto my car. I prefer parking away from the AC' water outlets. My car is going to be 5 years old in a couple of months time and there has been no colour fading or change in all these years in spite of a good dosage of sunshine everyday.
Old 26th July 2007, 11:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Park it in the sun and put a cover over it.
Keep all the windows a bit open.
If most of the sunlight is falling on the top of the car, you could fold the cover into half and only cover the bonnet, top and the boot. And to prevent it from flying off, you could tuck the cover inside inside the bonnet and boot at both ends.
Old 26th July 2007, 11:56   #38
Senior - BHPian

In recent Mumbai rains, my friend's Indigo had a broken windshield owing to a fallen main branch.

I vote for the sun.
Old 26th July 2007, 14:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Buy a Car cover and park it in Sun!
Also leave a small gap at one of the windows.
Old 26th July 2007, 14:33   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra
Now you decide. I'll not reply to this thread any more but will track to see the right solution.
Decision is to park in the sun. No way can I stand to see that mess every evening. And I'm pretty sure the bird droppings and AC drippings would have greater effect on the paint.

monsoon time here, so the cover stays in the boot. Which brings me to another question. Although these covers are advertised to be used in all weather conditions, is it recommended to use it in the rains as well? Would the cover sticking to the body have any negative effect?
Old 26th July 2007, 15:35   #41
Team-BHP Support

Robben, while you seem to have reached your decision regarding where to park your car, reading the title of the thread alone made me think this was asking for suggestions for trying to choose between a holiday spot such as sun (Maldives/beach) and dirt (rainforests/Brazil). :P
Old 26th July 2007, 15:41   #42
Team-BHP Support

hmmm...sounds like a nice place to work if your choice of parking lots is either a lush forest or a tropical beach! Unfortunately my lush forest is a dusty rain tree and the beach is a cement parking bay
Old 26th July 2007, 16:34   #43
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Sun. Some years ago, I was partying at a well known nightspot at Pali Hill. I don't know where the hell the friggin' valet parked my car, but, when I got it back, it was absolutely covered with bird droppings. Had a lady with me. Imagine how she must've felt. Since then, I've been avoiding parking under trees.
Old 26th July 2007, 16:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
reading the title of the thread alone made me think this was asking for suggestions for trying to choose between a holiday spot such as sun (Maldives/beach) and dirt (rainforests/Brazil). :P
Ditto here!
I too thought that Rtech needs some advise to decide on a holiday spot!
Old 26th July 2007, 16:47   #45
BHPian

i vote for Sun. Since your car is white, sun should do less damage. Also, covering the car everyday at office is not a practical option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks