Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2023, 16:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Netflix Password sharing comes to an end

Netflix password sharing comes to an end for Indians, as only limited access is now allowed. The company will start sending out emails, informing users that the account is meant for a single household.

How does Netflix identify password sharing?

Netflix identifies password sharing by using the user’s IP address, device ID and account activity from devices signed into the account. The company’s identification of the IP address makes it difficult for users outside the primary household to use the account. Netflix will require users to enter access codes to get access outside the primary household for up to seven days. Additionally, users will have to connect to the primary household’s Wi-Fi at least once every 31 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Netflix Password sharing comes to an end-f1dtcprauaibco0.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 16:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Netflix password sharing comes to an end for Indians, as only limited access is now allowed.
Works for me - we disconnected Netflix a few months ago. Back then, the assumption was if we couldn't survive without it, we'll restart the connection asap. 3+ months and still going strong.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st July 2023 at 09:54. Reason: Removed OT note.
ninjatalli is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 04:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Netflix Password sharing comes to an end

Note From Support: Moved posts related to Netflix crackdown on password sharing to a new thread.
Old 21st July 2023, 09:38   #4
BHPian

Might be challenge for some, like I have 2 wi-fi at home. Got it done during Covid for better coverage and back-up and 1 TV out of 4 is on a different wi-fi. Will have to connect to the primary wi-fi in that case.
BhayanaV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 10:08   #5
BHPian

Will be the death of Netflix in India. They are killing what ever miniscule revenue they are getting from India.

I have been using Netflix for close to 4 years now, being shared by 4 other friends(which is then shared with close family on all sides).

Will have to drop it now if this is seriously enforced. Its just too expensive to maintain alone. With 499 pm for getting even 1080p. Even 199pm for the basic plan of 720p and one screen is costlier than what I am paying now with password sharing.

Its just not feasible.
TheRandomGuy is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 10:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

For those predicting the death knell for Netflix with this crackdown, think again:

Quote:
Netflix has revealed that subscriptions to their streaming service climbed by nearly six million in the wake of its crackdown on password sharing.

The streaming giant finished the recently ended quarter with a total of 238 million subscribers and a profit of $US1.5 billion ($1.77 billion), according to an earnings release.

The pick-up in subscribers came as a potentially crippling writers and actors strike hits the US entertainment industry, but with analysts saying Netflix is better positioned than its rivals to weather the storm.

Link
benbsb29 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 10:32   #7
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
For those predicting the death knell for Netflix with this crackdown, think again:

Link
This news needs to be analysed with respect to the regions it's been rolled out. Until June, the roll out were in countries where most of them had higher purchasing power than India. With most folks sharing almost all OTT subscriptions among friends & family and Netflix commanding the highest subscription cost, I think there will be a significant drop in subscribers who may prefer to watch the Netflix shows on other alternate channels.
avk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Have given up my Tatasky connection - so its Hotstar (free via Jio), Prime and Netflix.

Am on the Ultra HD Netflix plan - 649/- quite reasonable I feel for the quality of content.

Parents use 1 ID, daughter uses 1 ID.
For wife and me - 3 - 1 each for the separate shows and 1 common for what we watch together
Hatari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:14   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Been reading about it on Reddit and finally, I saw the prompt on my Netflix screen earlier this week. Authorized my FireStick as "home". I do have an extra username created for my brother who lives in the same building, but on a different floor. Hope that doesn't create an issue. If it does, we will happily create a separate account.

I am on the side of Netflix here. Only those who pay for the service (and their family @ home) should be using the same account. Netflix password sharing is a rampant practice between friends and that really isn't cool.

Before, every company valued every customer. Now, companies are separating "good" customers & "profitable" customers from "bad" customers (those who are loss-making, share passwords, return too many goods, open excessive support tickets etc.). That's why we saw the likes of Airtel & Jio willingly give up their low-revenue customers and increase the overall ticket size. It's why Amazon bans customers who needlessly keep on returning goods.

The focus now is on business viability and profitability. No longer is it a blind race to brag about the max customer count.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am on the side of Netflix here. Only those who pay for the service (and their family @ home) should be using the same account. Netflix password sharing is a rampant practice between friends and that really isn't cool.

The focus now is on business viability and profitability. No longer is it a blind race to brag about the max customer count.
Fully agree with you on this, GTO. Just makes for good memes when back in the day Netflix was all about sharing passwords. Get more people hooked on to their service and pull the rug under them?
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 12:01   #11
BHPian

I have desi friends who live in million dollar mansions in the US and very well can afford it but asks for my Netflix password (and other subscriptions as well). This is not cool. One of the reasons they say is that they use it infrequently so it doesn't warrant a full subscription. On Netflix (or other major monthly paid services) I'm pretty sure you can pause your subscription and pay only when you use it.
inwester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 12:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Quote:
Netflix has revealed that subscriptions to their streaming service climbed by nearly six million in the wake of its crackdown on password sharing.
Hardly a big deal - do remember back in Q2 2022, when it first announced this decision in it's quarterly outlook, Netflix mentioned nearly 45% of accounts were sharing (for 222Mn housholds having accounts, additional 100Mn households were using it).

A puny climb of 6Mn (over a base of 232 Mn = 2.5%) is hardly anything to boast about. I would have set very aggressive expectations (atleast 10%) to be proud of the growth. I sense there is much more hidden - how many households left vs those reusing existing passwords to register as new customers.

I expect usage numbers to keep going down as the impact of this decision will hardly make a dent to the otherwise slump that Netflix was seeing over recent years. Only time will tell.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 12:35   #13
Team-BHP Support

This is going to be a problem for me since I travel between two homes every month. I use my profile from both places. And Netflix may decide I am two different person.

Looks like I have to stick to just Prime Video I am in Udupi.
Old 21st July 2023, 12:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is going to be a problem for me since I travel between two homes every month. I use my profile from both places. And Netflix may decide I am two different person.
I don't think that would be a problem. As long as you are using the same device and profile (account activity) Netflix should be able to identify you uniquely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Netflix identifies password sharing by using the user’s IP address, device ID and account activity from devices signed into the account.
Old 21st July 2023, 12:58   #15
BHPian

This move was a long time coming, and a lot of OTT apps in India, except for Prime, already do this by deciding the number of devices where you can be logged in at the same time.

I am assuming that this will not affect folks when they are on vacation and traveling and can still use their ID and passwords on recognised devices.

But otherwise, GTO is right, companies have started opting for Quality over Quantity and they wont more profitable consumers rather than more low paying consumers who are just there to build up the numbers.

Will it be the death knell of Netflix in India? I do not think so. It may have short term impact, but in the long run, I do not see this move failing, and if anything I think even Amazon might follow suit.

I use a 699 account used roughly between 4 of us within family, who stay in the same building but different flats. Will just have to find a way to work around this logging in from home internet once a month.
Ays7 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks