Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is your car colour safe?

classic case of mixing up correlation with causality.

It's like saying high police presence cities have high rates of crime, so one should move to low police presence areas.
Old 24th April 2012, 00:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Few years back, I heard that GREEN color has the minimum visibility on the road as compared to other colors but now this study says that Black has the minimum visibility.

By the way, I have also experienced that Green color has minimum visibility during twilight.

Cheers!
Irish
I doubt the accuracy of most studies. I might expect year to year the safest color would change based on prevalent trends/models sold and thus the affected number of accidents. That red cars are sporty and driven by young hot blooded men is something I have read before, and also that women overwhelmingly prefer red cars , esp like M800 , as per an article in Autocar India several years ago.

The human eye supposedly has the most rods (or cones? ) for green-yellow color and are most sensitive to green-yellow wavelengths. That is why yellow cars/bikes appear bright and easily visible.

Besides, what do you mean exactly by green - dark, almost black shade of green as on Triumphs or Jaguars , or the bright , lime green Kawasaki hallmark ? You could have a barely noticeable shade of pale yellow ala the mango i10 , or an equally overlook-able deep ochre yellow.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Besides, what do you mean exactly by green - dark, almost black shade of green as on Triumphs or Jaguars , or the bright , lime green Kawasaki hallmark ? You could have a barely noticeable shade of pale yellow ala the mango i10 , or an equally overlook-able deep ochre yellow.
Yes, not all the studies can be believed. I have seen the person gathering data from people on various subjects (studies).

Anyways, I was referring to the dark green color which used to come (mid 90s) in Maruti 800 or may be in Santro also. The visibility of such color was low on highways. You could spot other cars easily at the same distance but dark green color was not easily spotted.

I agree that lemon green or pale yellow have better visibilities. That's why the registration number plate of commercial vehciles were changed from balck & white to Yellow & Black.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:08   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bright red cars attract more bird droppings than vehicles of any other colour, according research from Halfords
Quote:
Green cars were found to suffer least, followed by silver, while white vehicles escaped more often than black in the analysis of 1,140 cars in Brighton, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester and Bristol over two consecutive days, to see whether colour made a difference to birds.

These car colors attract the most bird poop

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks