Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2007, 11:23   #1
BHPian

Black Version of Google

One interesting thing: When Microsoft is struggling to cope up with Google in the field of search, Google is beating it every time with unimaginable finding…

Hats off to people in Googleplex!!!

Blackle is nothing but a black version of Google.

"A few months ago, TreeHugger Mark Ontkush wrote a post on his blog EcoIron titled Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year. The post lays out the following train of thought. "An all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts." Google, which has a white background and gets about "200 million queries a day" could reduce global energy use by 750 Megawatt-hours a year by simply changing the color of its homepage to black.

In response to this post a black version of Google emerged called Blackle.com . According to Blackle's homepage at publication time, 4,408.917 Watt hours have been saved by nice ideas. But how does the search measure up? Very well indeed. Give it a whirl yourself and start saving energy one search at a time:: Blackle.com

So here's your site: Blackle - Energy Saving Search

Last edited by Zappo : 1st August 2007 at 13:09.
Old 1st August 2007, 13:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nice concept, but I guess it would really only apply to CRT's and not to LCD screens. But, I always prefer a dark background to a light one. I find it easier on my eyes.
Old 1st August 2007, 14:01   #3
BHPian

to add to what Rtech said -

LCDs use a constant light level and block it out with black pixels (actually probably using slightly more power to make a black screen in order to energize the pixels to a black color).

CRTs would save power with black because the electron gun would be firing much less.

With the way LCDs are selling, a black google would not realize any noticeable energy savings, while people switching from CRT to LCD would see a big net savings.

Source : Black Google Could Save Gigawatts | EcoGeek | Black, Power, Would, Google, Written
Old 1st August 2007, 14:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

huh ? i don't get it how it will save anything ? AFAIK if your monitor is consuming 220 Watt it will keep on consuming 200 watts no matter you use balck or white or green or any other color.
Old 1st August 2007, 15:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

A small rejoinder here though. Blackle is not a Google site. It uses the Google's Custom Search and is basically a third party site which Google has nothing to do with. So use it at your own discretion. Remember search terms and your searching habits can be traced by anyone to do data mining, to begin with. At least check whether the site has a Comprehensive Privacy Policy before you start using any such site.
Old 2nd August 2007, 01:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

Im a big fan of conserving energy. (especially when its my own )

I feel like in the computer world, with interface design etc and pure effeciency, the less clicks the better.

Here are some alternate solutions to google or blackle :

1. In some browsers, like OPERA for eg (i love it, its awesome, and incredibly tweakable and versatile and feature packed), you can just type g searchterm in the address bar, and it takes you to the google results page.

2. Years ago, i made this little thing for Windows Active desktop, its just a HTML file that puts a google logo and searchbar on your desktop itself.
It looks like this > (you can drag it anywhere on your screen)

I have uploaded the HTML file if anyone here wants to try it. (my desktop background is black so the HTML background is black. You can change the bg colour by editing the HTML)

To set it up on WinXP, goto :
Download the file and unzip it somewhere.
Right click on a blank part of your desktop > Properties > desktop > customize desktop > web > New

Then add the html file.
Resize it on your desktop so theres no scrollbar visible.

If you want you can "lock desktop items" once youve picked a good position so that its not draggable and that damn border doesnt keep showing up.

cya
R
Attached Files
File Type: zip google_activedesktop.zip (3.5 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd August 2007 at 01:52.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:56   #7
BHPian

google and blackle!!

guys came across the following link Blackle Energy Saving Tips

it's an alternate to google and good way (may be ) to save energy.

incidentally, tbhp has a black backgrond.

what are your thoughts!
Old 20th August 2008, 12:00   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are my thoughts:

The energy saving tips are nice and should be followed. An excellent way to save power and save the planet's resources and some money too.

Baaki, if you think that using the blackle search with a black background is saving the planet's resources instead of google with a white background, that is a load of dung.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Here are my thoughts:

Baaki, if you think that using the blackle search with a black background is saving the planet's resources instead of google with a white background, that is a load of dung.
that's precisely what i would like to know. being technically challanged i am wondering how a black background can be more energy effecient than a white one. pardon my ignorance please.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Remember seeing this discussion long time back. Seems it again poped up.
There is more different results on this blog. Please check.
Official Google Blog: Is black the new green?
Old 20th August 2008, 12:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
that's precisely what i would like to know. being technically challanged i am wondering how a black background can be more energy effecient than a white one. pardon my ignorance please.
Well to put it in laymans terms, what they are trying to say is that a computer monitor will consume far more electricity displaying a white background, that a black one.

That is true in the case of older CRT monitors. There would be a logical marginally higher current draw in the effort to display a lighter, brighter, whiter white screen. The EHT would have to work harder, deliver more power (if you listen to the EHT whistle/whine, it gets louder in the case of an all0white screen)

I am not so sure if the current draw from the 230V mains power (which is the point of saving here) will show an appreciable difference, but yes, the difference would be there.

However in modern TFT and LCD screens, it would make little or no difference. Hence I call the whole thing dung and a marketing idea. No more.

But their energy saving tips seem like good sense. All of them.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:17   #12
BHPian

thanks for the information Sam!!
Old 20th August 2008, 12:40   #13

Most Indians do!

Unintentionally or otherwise, most Indians follow almost 60% to 70% of the guidelines set in the blackle list.
Kapil, if you noticed, the sender of the list is a U.S. co.
And trust me, no other country in the world has such complete disregard for energy as them.
We Indians are so eco-friendly, its simply superb!
As for the black screen and white screen, with the experts.
Though personal choice runs to black anyways.
Kudos to us.
Old 20th August 2008, 13:02   #14
BHPian

I think, for LCDs, black would draw more power, as the pixels have to be blocked as compared to Plasmas, where the pixels have to be lit. May be I am wrong.
Old 20th August 2008, 13:32   #15
BANNED

If you are so paraniod about wasting power, switch to linux, load the acpi kernel modules (if you do not know what acpi modules are, they are most probably loaded), switch to the console mode (no X), and use google - al all your work - from there. Even chat, multimedia and video works in console mode.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks