Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2023, 10:51   #1
BHPian

TV vs Monitor | Which screen for racing games?

To all the more experienced folks, which display device is better for Sim racing? A TV, or a Monitor?

I'm used to racing on (my PS5 + G29) a TV (Samsung 43in UHD TV). Recently, a colleague left his (LG UltraGear) Monitor with me and I've been using it for racing since a month. Now, thats a great monitor and it really found itself an extra edge for me to incline on. And a month later, I had to return the monitor.

If I want to buy a monitor of similar level, I really need to spend some big ones (25k) for it. Instead, I'd buy a stand for my G20 (steering) and I'm good to go racing on my TV.

Just to cross this dilemma off, I wanted to know what veterans think of TV vs a Monitor for racing.

For me,
TV:
+ Bigg screen
+ Flexible audio setups available (bluetooth headsets / direct speakers)
+ I could use the space (where I would setup a monitor for PS5) for something else! haha
+ Can use the resources to add a steering mount

- Not so sharp video feed
- Need to setup everytime I wish to play

Monitor:
+ Sharp display
+ Dedicated place to play

- Pricey (I could buy a stand for that price!)
- Limited audio flexibility (if monitor has a 3.5mm jack, its little better. If not, I'll have to attach a wired headset to the PS5 controller)
- Continue using a table to mount the Steering setup.

Disclaimer:
I wanted to buy only one item since it would feel refreshing to add new things periodically, rather than whole setup at once (and its financially light on the pockets too!).

Attached: My barebones current setup.
(That mini table fan is there to give me 'air in the hair' feeling)
Attached Thumbnails
TV vs Monitor | Which screen for racing games?-20230618_1940050101.jpeg  

Mr.Bentley is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:48   #2
BHPian

Re: The Sim (simulated) Racing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bentley View Post

For me,
TV:
+ Bigg screen
+ Flexible audio setups available (bluetooth headsets / direct speakers)
+ I could use the space (where I would setup a monitor for PS5) for something else! haha
+ Can use the resources to add a steering mount

- Not so sharp video feed
- Need to setup everytime I wish to play

Monitor:
+ Sharp display
+ Dedicated place to play

- Pricey (I could buy a stand for that price!)
- Limited audio flexibility (if monitor has a 3.5mm jack, its little better. If not, I'll have to attach a wired headset to the PS5 controller)
- Continue using a table to mount the Steering setup.
I have had a similar scenario, but I went with investing in a dedicated cockpit setup as the advantage of having proper seating highly over weighs to a monitor.

A dedicated monitor does help to have less lag due to a higher response rate and higher refresh rate, you would feel smoother, but again you will have to pay a higher premium to get enough real-estate of screen.
starke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 16:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: TV vs Monitor | Which screen for racing games?

TV vs Monitor | Which screen for racing games? - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 16:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: TV vs Monitor | Which screen for racing games?

I’d say stick with the TV a high end gaming monitor does offer much better response times and vastly higher refresh rates but both those stats only really matter in First Person Shooter type of games. For racing, a 42inch TV like yours is perfect
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 09:24   #5
BHPian

The LG48GQ900 (link here) matches your requirement to a T.

HDMI 2.1 ports for consoles, DisplayPort 1.4 for PC’s. 120 Hz refresh rate with a 0.1 ms gray-to-gray. This is a 4K Display.

On a good day, you might find it on amazon for approx 1 lakh.

Refresh rates on TV’s are not so great - in what ever limited time I get to play, I find it too distracting.

Will probably be jumping to this next year, assuming I sell of my existing monitors.
three10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 09:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
a high end gaming monitor does offer much better response times and vastly higher refresh rates but both those stats only really matter in First Person Shooter type of games.
This is untrue. A high refresh rate display makes just as much difference for sim racing as it does for FPS games.
With that said, if you're on consoles you might not be able to take advantage of a high refresh rate display, but some games like Gran Turismo 7 do support 120fps, not sure about ACC on consoles.
R32Mau is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 10:50   #7

Have you tried the new PS VR2. Supposedly Sim racing and Virtual Reality is a match made in heaven. No monitor/TV can give you that experience.
TheM0nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 14:36   #8
BHPian

OLED! I bought an LG C1 48 incher a year back and it's a hoot to play on. I manage CSGO 21:9 and it's amazing what I can now see out of the corner of my eye.

It also doubles up as a work monitor and quick YouTube panel. The angles, color, response and sharpness are amazing.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 05:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by three10 View Post
The LG48GQ900 (link here) matches your requirement to a T.

HDMI 2.1 ports for consoles, DisplayPort 1.4 for PC’s. 120 Hz refresh rate with a 0.1 ms gray-to-gray. This is a 4K Display.

On a good day, you might find it on amazon for approx 1 lakh.

Refresh rates on TV’s are not so great - in what ever limited time I get to play, I find it too distracting.

Will probably be jumping to this next year, assuming I sell of my existing monitors.
The OP has mentioned that a 25K monitor is expensive for his needs. I don't know how a monitor costing 1 lakh will suit his requirements, considering the fact that price is the biggest barrier.

To OP, I believe a TV won't suffice for requirements of a gaming monitor because the slow refresh rates (frame rates in general) will start to get on your nerves sooner or later. I would suggest that you wait for a while till you can increase your budget and then get a gaming monitor of a decent size.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th October 2023 at 15:49. Reason: As requested

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks