Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2023, 19:56   #1
BHPian

Alarming levels of Air pollution in India - How to improve matters?

The GoI continues to tighten emissions norms every year, including and especially for diesel engines. However, pollution continues to worsen, and we see evidence of it in the form of:
1. Uncontrolled burning of refuse, leaves and agricultural waste. Plumes of smoke emanate from various corners of our cities and villages every day.
2. Industries emit noxious fumes without any consequence. Anyone who has lived in certain parts of Navi Mumbai can testify to this.
3. Lax enforcement of PUC norms especially on commercial and government vehicles. Every day I see trucks, tempos, auto rickshaws and buses (especially Maharashtra State Road Transport vehicles) belching clouds of black and gray smoke into the air.
4. Semi urban and rural areas also suffer from poor air quality. A recent weekend spent at a rural resort was sufficient to reinforce the sad reality of smoky and unclean air far away from urban population centers.

A cursory online search on contributors to our poor air quality shows a large spread in data, and the numbers for agricultural waste burning appear suspiciously low.

Name:  IMG_3001.png
Views: 463
Size:  18.0 KB
Source: Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution_in_India)

Alarming levels of Air pollution in India - How to improve matters?-img_3002.png

Name:  IMG_3004.png
Views: 446
Size:  92.7 KB

Source: https://www.ceew.in/publications/sou...ions-inventory

Alarming levels of Air pollution in India - How to improve matters?-img_3005.jpeg
Source: https://iea.blob.core.windows.net/as...o-benefits.pdf

From the above data and real world observations, it seems clear that:
1. New ICE automobiles alone cannot shoulder the entire burden of pollution reduction. There is no point in mandating strict emissions norms on cars when commercial vehicles that run far more than cars and scooters are allowed to pollute at will (and these are egregiously high levels - you can smell the soot and unburnt fuel coming from the exhaust). Is it so easy to fake passing PUC results?
2. Strict enforcement of existing norms is a must, including and especially cracking down on industrial pollution.
3. The transition to clean burning fuels for home use is long overdue, and is finally getting the priority it deserves.
4. Adopting clean electricity is massively important, especially if we are to transition away from ICE to EVs. Setting up coal burning plants to supply power for EVs is just transferring pollution away from urban to rural areas. The intermittency of Solar and wind power means that nuclear power HAS to be considered in any serious effort towards decarbonization.
Till then, mask up and keep your windows closed
Mustang Sammy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 20:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Alarming levels of Air pollution in India - How to improve matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
I'm not attempting to discredit anything, but it's worth noting that the data and PDF have become outdated, given that the PDF was created more than two years ago and hasn't been updated since.
I believe it's unwise to rely on data of such antiquity for any research or analysis.
Alarming levels of Air pollution in India - How to improve matters?-iea.jpg
Captain Slow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 21:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Alarming levels of Air pollution in India - How to improve matters?

Too much construction in the country. I am beginning to wonder how much infrastructure is essential and how much is just fancy. NHAI is ripping apart the landscape to change the alignment of the Mumbai-Pune expressway such that about 20 minutes of driving time is shortened. If there ever was a Marie Antoinette moment.Then you have a Pune-Nashik expressway planned AND a high speed rail link. Why? On the other hand, they still don't have any handle on the Mumbai-Goa expressway.

It's hardly a wonder that air pollution is rising across the country. Pune was never a 'highly polluted' city. Now it has also entered the ranks. Every 4th heavy vehicle in the suburbs is either a concrete mixer or a dumper or a JCB.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2023 at 09:31. Reason: Formatting.
fhdowntheline is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 09:22   #4
BHPian

Re: Alarming levels of Air pollution in India - How to improve matters?

Air pollution in India exceeds the WHO recommended safe limit by massive 500%. In hill towns and cities of Himalayan states like Himachal Pradesh, waste burning, construction and tourism sector are the largest contributor to air pollution.
trippytragopan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 10:18   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sustainable development has been the cornerstone of Singapore’s continued progress. In pursuing economic development, we have been careful not to sacrifice the quality of our environment. Singapore is today widely recognized as a “City in a Garden,” with nearly 50 percent green cover and 72 hectares of rooftop gardens and green walls. Singapore is among the 20 most carbon-efficient countries, while natural gas generates 95 percent of its electricity.

Source : https://shorturl.at/arzM0

Singapore with its relatively small footprint and a high amount on construction has always plagged me on their air quality which has been amazing whenever i visit. I was reading about how planting more and more trees has helped them improve the air quality. As a policy, we should try and plant more trees / greenery whenever there is a construction being done.
bharanidharang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 15:26   #6
BHPian

Industrial pollution is overrated in the more developed parts of India. The industries (except for small MSMEs) have become far more aware, and it's getting difficult to get clearances without installing good infrastructure (apart from the usual govt demands). The biggest culprits of industrial pollution (if one were to categorize industry-wise) would be chemicals/plastics, fertilizers, mining and construction. I steer clear of these areas by a long mile. Other industries are surprisingly following international norms.

The problem of Navi Mumbai and Mumbai is the unabated construction and the wilful negligence of the authorities and builders/contractors who have no regard for the even basic measures that need to be enforced. Honestly, the usual reasons cited (cost of construction will increase significantly) are bull shit (Mumbai is one of the cheaper places to procure construction materials in the country). There are only 2 reasons for not wanting to follow basic measures (especially pertaining to air quality): they can, and systemic corruption.

I recently had to undertake a construction project, and we had a very hard time getting the contractors to follow basic measures (even at our own cost). And we hired very well-reputed contractors. (who do international projects for companies that are known for their high-er standards).

Another recent experience... the road to our locality was finally relaid and concretized after a gap of nearly 15 years. I found that the contractor was wilfully using sub-par and lower-spec materials throughout. When we questioned him, his arrogance and the answers clearly indicated that they simply do not care, and the authorities won't take any action (since they themselves are hand in glove). Not surprising, but I can assure that our locality will soon be generating enough debris due to the subpar work done.

The only way I see out of this mess is we need to really need to reign in the construction industry and the associated govt. bodies (central, state and local). Citizen initiatives in Mumbai at least are failing since there is an informal understanding within the govt, the babudom and the contractors that no action will be taken. Court battles... less said the better (not everyone can afford big shot guys and frankly.. time consuming process).

Air quality issues require basics to be followed (and these do not add a significant cost to the projects). We will need the citizens to start getting hands-on, and really get the authorities to become accountable.
Simple_car is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 11:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Already posted this on another thread, but I think it makes sense here, have been visiting Mumbai at least once in 2 years, usually once a year, for the past 25 years. The past 2 years are the worst I've seen it in terms of visible air pollution. Definite and stark difference between Mumbai and Bangalore, where I live.

Not that Bangalore is going to remain the same, we have some advantages because of elevation and major industries that are not so pollution-heavy, but our air is getting worse as well.

Been thinking seriously about moving to a smaller town purely for AQI reasons. Can manage to work remote, so that's not an issue. Don't have any dependency on the city for lifestyle either, can live without the usual big-city entertainment(s). Most of my family thinks it's a bit of an extreme step to consider, but tracking the AQI numbers, I'm not so sure. I think it's nothing short of a health issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
The sight during early morning hours and as the day inches toward sunset is especially bad as one can spot a thick layer of smog/mist hanging; almost ghost-like. Visibility is severely hampered.
Absolutely. There is some offshore equipment that we can see on the early morning walk, not too far off the coast. For the first time last week, we noticed the colours for the first time! It was the first relatively clear day in some time, the rest of the mornings, it's been grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Maybe a shift to the ancestral house in Goa is imminent.
Goa is definitely better overall than cities like Mumbai or Bangalore. But it has it's own issues. Have stayed there for a couple of extended periods, up to 6-8 months at a stretch and noticed that outside of the cities, there is very little infra for garbage collection. So most of the people burn their garbage. Which leads to a lot of air pollution. Some of it very harmful with plastic and rubber being burnt.

Last edited by am1m : 25th October 2023 at 12:00.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 11:52   #8
BHPian

The air quality in Mumbai this year is possibly the worst we've ever seen! Having a coastline was supposed to be a boon, considering the winds would drift away the pollutants etc. However, considering the increase in pollution, seems even that isn't helping anymore.

The sight during early morning hours and as the day inches toward sunset is especially bad as one can spot a thick layer of smog/mist hanging; almost ghost-like. Visibility is severely hampered.

One can definitely attribute this to increased construction work, especially public infrastructure projects that are on in full-swing across the city. Also, a steep increase in the number of cars in the city is an added inducement of pollution.

P.s. Maybe a shift to the ancestral house in Goa is imminent.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 12:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Already posted this on another thread, but I think it makes sense here, have been visiting Mumbai at least once in 2 years, usually once a year, for the past 25 years. The past 2 years are the worst I've seen it in terms of visible air pollution. Definite and stark difference between Mumbai and Bangalore, where I live.

Not that Bangalore is going to remain the same, we have some advantages because of elevation and major industries that are not so pollution-heavy, but our air is getting worse as well.
Elevation causes more vehicular pollution since they are not efficient and there will be more hydrocarbons and CO released which might harm health. Also increased solar radiation causes more smog.
In addition Bengaluru has more valleys (sort of like dish) and with no sea breeze, pollution gets trapped.

In the 90s, on roads like Residency road and vicinity there was more smoke from 2 stroke autos, 2 wheelers etc. Now the smoke itself is not that visible except when some commercial vehicles move around. Same with Mysuru road near Gaali Anajaneya temple. Not to say smaller particulate pollution is less. But there are visible changes compared to 90s.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 01:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Elevation causes more vehicular pollution since they are not efficient and there will be more hydrocarbons and CO released .
I believe this would have been true only in pre-sensor/ECU days. Modern engine controls correct for air density etc etc, such that the worst that should happen is that power output could be cut down a bit as altitude increases.

Btw I stayed in Bangalore around 2002-4, then too 2-stroke autos and their adulterated fuels were prolific, but vs. even much smokier/ more sooty and industrialized cities where smoke/smog were more obvious, there was always something about Bangalore street-level air quality that when riding in the midst always made my eyes and throat burn.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 17:00   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Too much construction in the country. I am beginning to wonder how much infrastructure is essential and how much is just fancy..
Agree with you. when I bought an apartment in the area on Ravet/Kiwale near the MCA stadium, it was wonderful and full of fresh air. In fact "weather" was the main USP for selling apartments in this area back then. Since then lots and lots of building construction has been happening and it completely changed the environment here. You go out for a walk to find big cement mixers everywhere leaving tons of dust in the air and on your face. It's pathetic.

same for the road construction. I am not against it but they should complete it on time by taking necessary precautions. On my way to the office (to Chakan) they dug the 100 m road near Talawade IT park and it has been almost in the same situation for the last 8-10 months. Every time a vehicle passes through, you will see a lot of dust in the air.
Sometimes I really feel for the two-wheeler riders.
satish.gawai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 07:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Too much construction in the country. I am beginning to wonder how much infrastructure is essential and how much is just fancy. NHAI is ripping apart the landscape to change the alignment of the Mumbai-Pune expressway such that about 20 minutes of driving time is shortened. If there ever was a Marie Antoinette moment.Then you have a Pune-Nashik expressway planned AND a high speed rail link. Why? On the other hand, they still don't have any handle on the Mumbai-Goa expressway.

It's hardly a wonder that air pollution is rising across the country. Pune was never a 'highly polluted' city. Now it has also entered the ranks. Every 4th heavy vehicle in the suburbs is either a concrete mixer or a dumper or a JCB.
Expressways and high speed rail links are huge assets for the country and we are way behind the global standards especially when it comes to high speed rail. Construction of these public infrastructure facilities are inevitable. In turn, expressways will contribute to more efficient travel and high speed rails will contribute to lesser number of private and public transport vehicles on the road.
Old 31st October 2023, 07:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishnansp View Post
Expressways and high speed rail links are huge assets for the country and we are way behind the global standards especially when it comes to high speed rail. Construction of these public infrastructure facilities are inevitable. In turn, expressways will contribute to more efficient travel and high speed rails will contribute to lesser number of private and public transport vehicles on the road.
There is no question on the utility of this infrastucture. But having both along the same 200 km corridor? Isnt that a bit much? And where are they going to get the land for this? Will they cut through the fields of Junnar/ Narayangaon/ Alephata, or cut through the ( yet) unspoilt wilderness and majesty of the Bhandardara area?
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 10:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

For better or worse, the ongoing 2023 Cricket World Cup is turning the focus on the air pollution in our cities. Starting with Rohit Sharma's post about the alarming levels of air pollution he could see from an airplane above his home city, Mumbai. (Which I though was a bit ironic, since air-travel is a pretty big contributor in per capita terms!)

Now there are speculations that a game might be cancelled or moved because of conditions. (Again, irony, when it comes to cricket stars, let's do something and make front page news, but nothing for the millions who live in the same city and breathe that air!)

Air quality is becoming a part of the the conversation now and for more months of the year than it used to. But I think things are going to get worse before they will be forced to get better. And much like smoking, a generation or two are going to face the health consequences before the majority of us even realize how dangerous it was/is.
Old 6th November 2023, 11:01   #15
BHPian

It is not a new problem. It is a known problem with solutions available but will not be done for another decade or two.

This tweet sums up the situation perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Alarming levels of Air pollution in India - How to improve matters?-delhi_pollution.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks