Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2023, 17:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google experiment of using AI to write about cars doesn't seem to be going according to plans

According to a media report, tech giant Google is looking at using Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology to write short summaries on various topics, including cars.

However, the effort isn't said to be going to plan, with the data and information showcased being inconsistent & incorrect for most parts. Taking the example of the 2024 Corvette, the AI lists the sports car's base price correctly but seems confused while listing out the prices of the higher-up variants.

Google experiment of using AI to write about cars doesn't seem to be going according to plans-corvetteai.jpg

Also, while mentioning the engine capacities on offer, the AI write-up seems to be inconsistent, listing one displacement in litres and another in cubic inches. The optional performance exhaust on the Stingray takes the car's power output from 490 BHP to 495 BHP from its 6.2-litre V8. However, the AI can't cope with this and instead just lists the car's output as 495 BHP or "between 490 BHP and 670 BHP".

AI calls the 8-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox on the Corvette "automatic with 8 gears". Even with measurements, the write-up mentions the car is "185 in length".

Google's AI write-up is said to come mixed with incorrect or missing information, weird wording, and an overall inconsistent style, resulting in a very confusing mess. However, Google has clearly stated that "generative AI is experimental and info quality may vary".

Source: CarScoops

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 19:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Google experiment of using AI to write about cars doesn't seem to be going according to plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
the AI can't cope with this and instead just lists the car's output as 495 BHP or "between 490 BHP and 670 BHP".

AI calls the 8-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox on the Corvette "automatic with 8 gears". Even with measurements, the write-up mentions the car is "185 in length".
The quality of that article is poorer than AI generated one.
  • It is providing summary of a car. Which means you end up with a range for power if you have multiple engine options. There maybe some article mentioning 670 BHP with some options.
  • For a common man, 8 Speed DSG means 8 "gear" automatic.
  • 185 in length means car length is 185 inches. I think it comes around 4.6 meters.
  • It provided the value in both cubic inches and cubic cm. 376 in3 = 6162 cm3.
While I agree that it is mashup of data and could have been presented bit cleanly, the quality of reply definitely depends on the quality of the question asked. This article is written for the sake of writing one and nothing more.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 19:23   #3

Re: Google experiment of using AI to write about cars doesn't seem to be going according to plans

Does an 8 speed dsg not have 8 gears? I thought dsg was similar to a manual but with 2 cluches for faster up and down shifts automatically.
caveman969 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 22:17   #4
BHPian

Sorry I do not understand your point here -

Between 182 in and 185 in in length - here the bold "in" is inches
Automatic with 8 gears - that is the right way, though usually we are habituated to "8 speed automatic"
And indeed the power is between 490 and 680 bhp, isn't it?
Metrics - the summary has consistently used FPS system (inch, miles etc) and USD.

When I asked Bard (The Google AI Tool) this: give me a technical summary of swift dzire

It used SI units (km, cc etc) and INR.. consistent with the locale!
What is wrong?
Zinda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 10:36   #5
RMN
BHPian

Even im a bit confused, I think for the most part its a decent summary? For eg: "between 490 BHP and 670 BHP". This is correct right? AFAIK, the new vette comes in 2 petrol powered configurations and 1 electric variant. The base ICE outputs 400 something bhp and the EV being the most powerful does 600+.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks