Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your preferred 10-min delivery app?
Blinkit 37 24.34%
Swiggy Instamart 62 40.79%
Zepto 30 19.74%
Other (Please specify in your post) 2 1.32%
None (Tell us why) 21 13.82%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2024, 20:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Which 10-min delivery app do you use and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Surprisingly Zepto was the quickest and offered some discount too.
You are based out of Mumbai, and this observation by you isn't surprising.

Hyperlocal delivery is 'won' by different players in different markets.
As of today, Zepto has 'won' the Mumbai market, Blinkit is the leader in NCR, Instamart does better than the competition in Bangalore.

This is similar to how either of Ola / Uber are more popular (& better service) depending on what city you are in.

I do not have hard data to publish and prove the above statement. But my conviction is basis discussions with Product Managers who work in these organisations (batchmates from B-school).
Some of these players have cut down on management oversight (& bandwidth) in the cities where the competition has already 'won'. Managements are looking to establish themselves as the leader in cities where the leadership position is still in contest.
blueberry is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 21:11   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

These days we live in a tiny village in rural the Netherlands. There are no 10 minute delivery companies operating here. Hell, even regular companies such as DHL have a hard time finding our home.

But we have lived in major towns all over the world. We have never used them anywhere. I don’t like the companies behind these apps and I don’t like the effects of these apps.

There is a big debate here in the Netherlands and some other western countries about how to regulate these companies and whether they should be allowed at all.

Because of the 10 minute promise they need a lot of storage fascilties all over town. That often creates problems in neighbourhoods, with endless couriers coming and going 24/7. Their numerous local warehouses are known as “dark shops”. No acces for the public, windows darkened, but a lot of hustle and bustle because of couriers coming and going and constant trucks/vans resupplying the “dark shop”.

These couriers, be it on bicycles or mopeds cause a lot of traffic incidents. They are, obviously, always in a hurry. Don’t stop for red or pedestrian crossings etc. People have been killed because somebody needed a bottle of tomato sauce immediately!

They compete with traditional shops and supermarkets, but they don’t employ anybody, their couriers are typically self employed. But they make a lot less than supermarket employees do as those labour conditions are governed by a central labour agreement. So they have an unfair cost advantage by exploiting their employees.

Numerous court cases have been held and are ongoing.

I think the 10 minute courier is a symbol of total waste and ridiculous consumerism. I am sure there is a market, but as a society you do need to question whether this is something you need and want. A handful of people benefit in terms of a bit of convenience, but a larger part of society gets saddled with all the negative effects.

A number of these companies have gone under already here, but there are always new ones taken their place.

It might be different in India, I don’t know. But here in the west, no 10 minute apps for us.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 10th May 2024 at 21:14.
Jeroen is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 21:18   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It might be different in India, I don’t know. But here in the west, no 10 minute apps for us.
An additional poll option has been added to accommodate NONE. I am in the same category. I can't bring myself to order a 10 minute delivery. I find the whole concept unethical, for the same reason you outlined, so I won't repeat. I would rather walk to the supermarket opposite our building anytime.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 22:12   #19
BHPian

For precisely the reasons Jeroen and Samurai have outlined above, I use none of these apps for grocery delivery.

There is a swiggy genie warehouse and cloud kitchen at the end of our street. It has become a nightmare trying to get into or out of our street due to all the parked bikes. I do not want to give business to an operation that is socially so inconsiderate.

I also do not want to risk a young man's neck as he hurtles down the wrong side of the road just to help me get my consumerism fix in under 10 minutes. I once counted 25+ wrong way riders between ITPL and Kadugodi tree park in Whitefield, nearly all of them employed by these apps ( swiggy/blinkit/zomato), in a span of around 15 minutes while waiting for someone.
Old 10th May 2024, 23:53   #20
BHPian

Dunzo is dead. The options are probably outdated.

A lot of folks are answering the big basket, which isn't 10 minutes. Most others are also not 10 minutes but 17, 19, or 23 minutes.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th May 2024 at 05:38. Reason: Report any issues or argue on thread. Maintain respect for fellow members and Mods.
Old 11th May 2024, 10:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

I love Swiggy Instamart. Not only for lightening fast delivery but the quality of products (perishable ones like fruits and vegetables) is always good. I try other apps occasionally but it is hit or miss. I don't believe in wholesale buying hence I order just in time and almost every day, sometimes multiple times in the day.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 11th May 2024 at 10:13.
Old 11th May 2024, 10:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

I use Zepto very frequently, one advantage being their warehouse is a 5 minute walk from my building. Heck they deliver in less than 10 minutes.

Another thing I like about Zepto is Zepto Cafe. They have variety of snacks, meals and beverages and are decently priced and taste good too.

Mom uses Big Basket, Kissan Connect, Dmart but they are not 10 minute delivery.
Old 11th May 2024, 10:48   #23
BHPian

Ideally, none. Concur with the others stating the safety reason, and also due to expired products being sent, for instance milk. Tends to spoil upon heating due to improper storage, a pain to get the refund. Get them myself (the only extra pain being getting the 390 out for these random things due to our parking arrangement). Else very rarely, Zepto for those late night Maggi/icecream cravings if no prohibitive delivery costs.
Old 11th May 2024, 11:06   #24
BHPian

Blinkit - we have a dark store nearby, just 3 kms. Super quick delivery in a village called Greater Noida.

Have stopped burning fuel, paying for parking, dragging a trolley, standing in queue for monthly grocery visits!
Old 11th May 2024, 11:43   #25
BHPian

The choice is usually between Zepto, Blinkit and Swiggy Instamart in that order of preference; whichever is delivering faster and/or with better offers/discounts. Usually try to avoid ordering from these quick-service apps, unless absolutely necessary.
Old 11th May 2024, 11:43   #26
BHPian

I primarily use swiggy instamart, mainly due to its one app integration. I have tried blink-it couple of times when there was no stock in swiggy and surprisingly it was delivered faster even though their dark store location was comparatively further away.
Now I just switch between swiggy and blink-it based on delivery time frame.
Old 11th May 2024, 12:18   #27
BHPian

I use Instamart because they usually deliver it in under 10 minutes as the store is near my house. Backup is blinkit and their store is also much better, you can send them PDFs and they will print them, they even sell books and cosmetics. It has a plethora of choices.
Old 11th May 2024, 12:31   #28
BHPian

Instamart is my primary option due to the ability to use Swiggy money upto 10k and Amazon pay for the rest, both which gives me cc points when I buy the vouchers.

Blinkt is otherwise closer and has a far wider collection of items, but for now it remains as a backup option
Old 11th May 2024, 12:46   #29
BHPian

I am coming from a completely different perspective. I don't understand what possibly you could want in 10 mins that you don't already have in home. Don't take this personally but don't you guys have the basic essentials already in your house. I really don't get why i would pay to get something delivered in 10 mins. ( PS:I was brought up in a defense background and buying anything from commercial stores is not the first thought as we can get in CSD for cheaper, I also have a hypermarket literally a stone's throw away so anything not in CSD we buy from there ). I understand I have a store nearby and not everyone has that, but we previously lived somewhere where we had to go about 5-10 mins to get something. Quick commerce apps didn't exist back then but we always had the essentials in home.

I genuinely want to know, what is it that people flock to these. In fact I have never ordered from Zomato or Swiggy. I just pickup form a restaurant. This is cheaper and faster for me. I don' get paying a markup on the menu items as well as delivery fees.
itspatra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 12:46   #30

I cannot vote yet.

But I use Blinkit primarily as it always has things in stock which I prefer.

The secondary and rare options are Swiggy Instamart, Big Basket Now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks