Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2007, 11:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Kawasaki ZZR400 for sale: Edit: Sold.

It’s with a heavy heart that I post this here. My 2.5 year search for a good bike came to an end on a nice day in March 2005 when I finally found this bike. 2.5 years on and she has been with me through it all. From the daily commute to work to some nice rides with fellow members and even a 5th place in the 2007 speedrun thrown in for good measure.

However, the time has come to look for something with a bit more power. Finances willing, I would not be posting this thread here as I would have kept the ZZR with me alongside the more powerful successor. However, it is not to be, and in order to get another bike, I must sell the ZZR.

Now a bit on the actual bike itself.

Kawasaki ZZR400E.
The bike is a Japan only model, and still in production today. The 400 shares 98% of its parts with its larger hearted brother, the zzr600 which was sold unchanged worldwide till 2002 or so. The chassis components, bodywork, wheels, tyres – everything, is common to the 600. What this means is that unlike other 400cc bikes, where parts are only available in a few countries in the far east, for the Z, you can (and I have) bought all my parts from the US and Europe, and off ebay. And there are a lot of them out there for real cheap.

The bottom end of the engine is shared with the 600 as well, so are the clutch plates and filters etc.

The bike runs perfectly, as it should considering it is my daily transport. She never overheats even in the worst of traffic jams in a Mumbai summer. The riding position is perfect without placing weight on your wrists. You can ride this all day and not feel tired. As it shares its chassis with the 600, the large size makes it really stable on our terrible roads. Hell, lets not kid ourselves, it also looks like a proper bike because of that, and not like a toy bike like a CBR400rr.

The bike is as reliable as you can get, and I don’t think twice about jumping on it at a moments notice for a long ride anywhere. A classic Japanese vehicle in that sense. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I can safely say that it is the best 400 I have come across in all my years of bike hunting.

Paperwork
The bike itself is a November 1996 model (as per the frame number), but a 1997 model year, as per the sale. Imported into India in 1999 as a complete motorcycle, registered in Mumbai (MH-01). It has since had only one other owner aside from me. I purchased the bike directly from him, and the bike is currently in my name. Needless to say, full duty has been paid, all taxes are upto date and the bike can be transferred to the buyers name. Infact, I will not sell the bike unless it is transferred to the buyers name at the time of delivery, as I do not want the bikes running with just the Transfer papers and no registered buyer on them. That is illegal.

Maintenance history
1 month after I bought the bike, I changed the front tyre with a brand new Dunlop. Over the next 2.5 years, I have changed the following:
- Original Kawasaki OE brake pads (80% life left) (55 Euros)
- Original Kawasaki OE clutch cable (changed in June 2007) (20 SDG)
- Brand new RK Chain and front/rear sprocket (changed in Feb 2007) (125 USD) Thanks for luggin in back rehaan
- Uni replacement foam air filter (20 USD)
- Oil and oil filter religiously changed every 4 months.
- Original twin exhaust purchased from US and fitted to the bike. It simply purrs with these.
- As with any pre-2000 bike, the headers are made of caste iron, and do rust. I have made a new set of downpipes, - 4 into 2 into 1 into 2. This is now barely 3 months old. Cost – Rs.10,000.

Spare items with me to be given along with the bike
- Original Kawasaki OE accelerator cables (push & pull) still unused (35 SDG)
- Used OE clutch cable which was removed. Still in decent condition.
- Extra tinted Touring Screen. Good for long rides. (30 USD)
- Soft copy of Service manual.

Oh yes, it also has the original Kawasaki key and not some TVS or Hero Honda key!

Items to be worked on.
- Rear tyre needs replacement. I am currently on the lookout for one and will probably be buying one soon enough.
- The left side of the fairing did suffer a bit of damage when it was pushed against a wall by a wayward pedestrian. The damage is totally superficial, and it has been repaired. However I haven’t had a chance to get it painted as yet. Which in a way is good as there is no cover up.
Aside from this, nothing else needs to be touched.

Price
Rs.2,75,000/- as is.
People who are genuinely interested can get in touch with me. I am not going to entertain people who I feel are not serious or just asking the usual questions etc. I would rather sell to a genuine person for less than someone who is not going to give a hoot about it. Priority would be given to buyers in Mumbai. As mentioned, will only sell to a buyer who will transfer to their name before delivery. I will not give a blank, signed transfer paper.

Technical Specs:
Engine Type : 4-stroke, 4-cylinder, 16 valve, DOHC
Displacement: 399cc
Compression ratio: 11.2
Power: 55bhp
Cooling System : Liquid-cooled
Starter System : Electric
Transmission : 6-Speed
Overall Length : 2,070mm
Overall Width : 695mm
Overall Height : 1,175mm
Seat Height : 780mm
Dry Mass : 195kg
Front Brake : Twin Disc
Rear Brake : Single Disc
Front Tire : 120/60-R17 55H
Rear Tire : 160/60-R17 69H
Fuel Tank : 18L

A few photographs:

Look carefully at this pic and you can see the repaired area of the fairing around the mirror.
Old 1st September 2007, 11:47   #2
BANNED

Rt , wonder what you getting in exchange for this ... ???
Old 1st September 2007, 11:48   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

So WHATS NEXT? 600 or 1L?
Old 1st September 2007, 11:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nothing lined up yet. The hunt will begin shortly.
Old 1st September 2007, 12:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Did i see the odo reading missing ? .The first owner did kms ? and you ?
This would be helpful for the buyers .

GoodLuck for the hunt .

Last edited by black12rr : 1st September 2007 at 12:31.
Old 1st September 2007, 12:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Ah yes. Thanks. It was at around 10XXX km when I bought it, and is currently at 23777 genuine Km.
Old 2nd September 2007, 00:19   #7
BHPian

RTech thats an honest sale...hope I can arrange for that money...
Old 2nd September 2007, 00:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

I love your bike rtech. But can't afford it at present. :( hope you find a good home for her.

Drifter
Old 2nd September 2007, 18:05   #9
fb1
BHPian

awesome bike, will ask my friends if they are interested... Btw is it possible to change the front fairing to a newer bikes fairing?? looks dated.
Old 2nd September 2007, 19:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

powerful bikes always have powerful lovers. Wouldnt want to part that easily. But when they do, they want to make sure its someone even more passionate.
Old 3rd September 2007, 03:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

its a lovely bike and your love for it is clearly seen. i would have loved to take care of it but am looking for a bigger bike. started with a 900 so dont want to down size. hope you find a good home for her brother. i can feel your pain went through the same feeling while giveing away mine.
Old 3rd September 2007, 20:17   #12
Team-BHP Support

One of the first superbikes on the forum, and tbhp's favourte one too at that.
Have seen the zed (as Rt likes to call it), since the day he was supposed to take it home. Infact the first time we met was when we went to have a look at another zzr 400, got talking then, and i got a friend, technical advisor, butler et all, all thanks to the sbk search.
Have been seeing the zed much more since i've got the ace earlier this year, and the man knows his bike inside out.
The bike makes for a perfect example of a 'parsi owned' vehicle, and anyone looking for a first 'big' bike right now is gifted, you cannot find a better bike to start with than this kwacker!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1 View Post
Btw is it possible to change the front fairing to a newer bikes fairing?? looks dated.
On Rt's behalf, consider the sale turned down on that very query of yours

manson.
Old 4th September 2007, 10:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the kind words about Zed there Maison!

Quote:
Btw is it possible to change the front fairing to a newer bikes fairing??
ummm...I believe there are some really talented guys who can make a CBZ look like a R1. I think that's your best bet! But not with this bike.
Old 4th September 2007, 23:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, I think this is the most comprehensive Market Place thread on the forum. Should you still need anymore information about the bike, please get in touch with Rtech.

Thread closed.
Old 11th September 2007, 11:15   #15
Team-BHP Support

The bike has been sold. So the hunt begins again. Thread closed. Again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks