Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2008, 12:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi Revvedup ! Germany is a good place to study with your interest in view but make sure that the engineering school you are going have courses in english as many schools offer courses in german.

As many pointed out, get a Mech Engg degree from a reputed school and then pursue your masters and phd in the US or UK with a specialization of your choice. Well thats the trend most of the aspirants follow.
Old 14th February 2008, 20:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
everybody goes thru both the phases you have mentioned. Just make sure what your teenaged mind is thinking at this time will be approved by your middle aged mind when you become a father of one or two. Making a career choice is a big decision and you should be very careful.

not trying to discourage you but thinking in terms of what value you will be adding to business/economy/society will help you decide your career better. Most of us do productive jobs and at the end of the day burn it in rubber and fuel (ok, not me, but most of us). We still love to be driving cars all the time, but there are things that need to be done to run the house. If you want, you can probably get into a business where you work with cars and good cars will automatically come to you for drives.

but if you aspire just to drive cars....well, either you can be with an auto mag if you are real good, or you can just be a driver. a big gamble I say.

i appreciate the content in your mail ,and the advice kind of made sense. Its just that since one better like to do, what one has to do it, i might as well decide on what i like the most so that the doing part is greater and fun and the number of hours of work will not matter.i do think the teenaged mind is restricted in imagining what an adult earning member really ought to be doing, but i so want to be in love with what i choose as a carrer. i see hoards of people just rambling along hating what they do and no sign jubilation and achievement.Hence the worry.
Old 14th February 2008, 21:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat View Post
Good to see so many youngsters at least giving their passions a chance to be their profession. Well coming to the automobile engineering one thing I would like to clarify is that no matter how good a college you are into you cant master all the aspects of automobiles. I did my grad and masters from IIT bombay in aeronautics and for my one and half years of project I did nothing but wing and rudder aerodynamics (still cant call myself learned in that field).

I have had batch mates who have done mechanical engineering and then did their masters in automobile related fields from US ( they are now working for investment banks is a different story altogether )

So as a personal advice doing BE or Btech from reputed college in India and then following a good MS and even a Phd from abroad will give you better knowledge (Undergrad studies in India though not very practical but provide excellent enviournment to those interested in learning)

All the best
akshat thanx for the reply. what are you doing as a career now? you see thats why i am concerned i see the huge academic achievements a person makes and then he drifts into another world totally. is this natural within the grown up fraternity as i am hearing this far too often or is it just that people tire off their environments faster these days?
is loving to be around cars /drive them /own them/ enough to decide to do an engg or a mech engineering? is there an option around auto and mech engg(not to be construed as an excuse for hard work) which alllows me to make a decent living??
Old 15th February 2008, 02:18   #19
BHPian

Hey ishotmydog,
im in the same boat as you.
Old 15th February 2008, 02:57   #20
BHPian

Thank You ishotmydog for reviving this thread again; was planning to do the same to update fellow members around here about the developments that have occured over the past few months about which I have lazily not posted.

Would be giving the following exams-
1.IIT-JEE(13th April)
2.BITS
3.DCE
3.AIEEE
4.VITEEE(19th april)
5.TOEFL(16 Feb)
6.Probably SAT subject tests (3rd May)
Have given only SAT Reasoning till now.
Lets see what happens, would try to join a course which gives me a quality education alongwith hands-on expereience, salary afterwards is not a concern.
The only reason I gave SAT was because I don't want to close the abroad option early since I would prefer to have a quality education(with a focus), rather than one where the only aim is to regurgitate and reproduce what was regurgitated (The IIT's are an exception to this, there might be more about which I don't know).
I have also heard about the Madras Institute of Technology, anybody knows what' the exact admission criteria there.
VJ , sadly Germany does not allow Indian students at the undergraduate level because their bachelor degree is for 3 years due to an additional year in school over the Indian system.
Old 15th February 2008, 14:05   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Hi Revvedup ! Germany is a good place to study with your interest in view but make sure that the engineering school you are going have courses in english as many schools offer courses in german.
Amongst the best country options to learn engineering. Plus the tuition is either free or at a minimalistic level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
VJ , sadly Germany does not allow Indian students at the undergraduate level because their bachelor degree is for 3 years due to an additional year in school over the Indian system.
Incorrect. Germany does accept Indian students at the undergrad level. If you want to fly right after your high school, then you will have to complete a foundation year (which includes german language training). This is so because German students have 13 years of education prior to their bachelors, unlike the Indian 12. Most Indian students either complete the foundation year in Germany, or do the first year of engineering here and then fly.

Again, Germany is an option par excellence for engineering. Tuition fees are either nil, or at negligible levels. However, German universities are far more selective of students than their USA / UK / Australia counterparts. Only good students (higher 1st class, distinction +) need apply.
Old 15th February 2008, 18:07   #22
BHPian

Thanks GTO for your prompt reply as mentioned in the first post of mine, Germany happened to my first choice considering the fact that the tuition fee there is nil, but was greatly disencouraged by the response of the German embassy education cell OR DAAD as it is called, they did not tell me about the foundation course and about which I only came to know through answers.com but was worried about the costs of pursuing such a course outside. Can you please tell me about the costs involved in pursuing such a course?

Now considering the second option of doing a year here and then going to Germany.Yes that seems more feasible,but than I would have to do German training in India along with with my first year studies in which I need to have good GPA's.Now this seems to be a cheaper but a slightly difficult option.
Now I am a little confused, can somebody please guide me as to which of above options I should pursue?

Yes, regarding academic credentials I have had good record from 4th to 10th with my percentage constantly above 90 till 9th, and above 85 henceforth in 9th(87) and 10th (88) with the performance only falling in 11th to 65-70 ish due to being constantly being caught up between preparing for school and IIT-JEE, however I hope to atleast score a distinction minimum in my boards.

Last edited by revvedup : 15th February 2008 at 18:12.
Old 15th February 2008, 18:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yea GTO! You are right Germany is the best when it comes for your engineering courses as i myself had applied for a couple of universities around 7 years back for my Masters and infact got admissions in Stuttgart and Kaiserslautern. I opted out because of german language and also the learn while you earn concept in germany was not that open @ that time unlike in US and UK and this feedback was from some of my seniors and pals studying there @ that time. So I opted to US and got my MS from there and I am not sure about the way how it is in Germany now.

@ Revvedup : In my opinion you get a decent degree from a reputed university here in India as our education standard is also very good and then in parallel learn german here and so you can plan for your masters there as against US or UK. I suggest that would be an ideal time to set your foot in your preferred area of expertise and trust me you will be better equipped.
Old 15th February 2008, 19:08   #24
BHPian

There is a course in the Cranfield University in UK that offers a course for performance tuning of cars.. race car engines and stuff. Look up the website.
The decision to study abroad for an undergrad would weigh heavily on your financial status. Scholarships for undergrad school you must be knowing already are not easy to come by.
But yes, you would get a lot more of hands on in a foreign university.
Old 15th February 2008, 23:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
There is a course in the Cranfield University in UK that offers a course for performance tuning of cars.. race car engines and stuff.
is there anything that we have within the country like what MC Mayank has quoted? it is difficult when it come to the part on how to finance ones study overseas as they are excruciatingly expensive and as you said getting scholarships is not easy?
Old 20th February 2008, 17:15   #26
BHPian

Guys no info about the foundation course, can somebody please provide more info about this foundation course in Germany?
Old 24th April 2010, 18:57   #27
BHPian

Career query

Hi friends,

I have asked many questions before on this forum but this is a bit different I guess! I was looking for a more relevant forum but was surprised to find this thread in my favorite forum.

After 7+ years of work experience in secondary and primary market research domains, I wish to add value to my career and learn SAP. Currently I'm more into a role related with operations and team/project management. These are not exactly software projects but projects that arrive for Survey programming (remember MR field). There is a tool for programming and doesn't necessarily involve programming languages like c++ etc. Neither am I strong in any programming language although I can do some basic coding, have learnt through courses in APTECH.

My educational background is MBA (HR), however, I have never worked in any HR profile in my career till now.

I am in a dilemma, firstly whether to go for SAP BI or SAP project management modules. Due to my market research/operations experience, I am planning to do something related with data analytics or business intelligence or Project Management. I know they can be a bit different from what I'm doing right now but being in a growing company, I have learnt a lot about processes/optimizing the process, performance management, management by metrics, etc.

Can the SAP gurus here guide me as to how to go about obtaining a relevant (at least a little near to my work experience) SAP certification/exeprience, without nullifying my 7 years of work experience.

There are only two authorized SAP training centers and their fees is quite costly, an average of about 2 lakhs per course. But I believe they require some prior experience in a SAP based company and implementation experience. But aren't there any courses for those who are fresh to SAP?

I think SAS (business analytics) would be more relevant to my profile but I believe a shift to SAP at this stage of my career can also be considered (I'm just 31).

I hope I'm not too off topic in terms of this thread/discussion.

Apologies for the long post!

Cheers,

Saleem.
Old 25th April 2010, 00:03   #28
Team-BHP Support

BI or Data Analytics require a very strong background in statistics. Do you have that?
Old 25th April 2010, 12:13   #29
BHPian

I won't say very strong but I do have a very good understanding about the kind of analysis techniques chosen for a particular kind of market research problem/ businessobjective. Moreover I had Statistics in my graduation and MBA courses so I'm not entirely new to that.

I understand market research from a perspective of someone creating a questionnaire and asking the right questions to get the relevant data. What I want to do is understand how this data can be used post data collection to arrive at a conclusion.

Yes, a refresher kind of a thing in statistics is definitely required for me and would make things much more easier.
Old 26th April 2010, 01:44   #30
BHPian

Help needed in making the biggest decision of my life.

Hello all,
I have just given my boards and now I stand at a junction where I have to make a descesion which will affect my entire life.
I have to choose my career.
Im sure that many of you must have faced this problem.

Hmmm I as of now have three seperate fields to opt from.
1)Mechanical engineering
2)Corporate law
3)Commercial pilot.

Yes I have given aieee and jee.Now hopefully I should get into a good engineering college.But im also pretty much attracted to the other two fields that I have listed.

In my family my grand father ,my father and my cousines have all done law.And I really dont understand why but even im attracted towards this field.But one thing im findind hard to justify is that should I also follow the foot steps of my family members or should I do something different.i think thats the reason why I have opted for the third field.

Commercial pilot.this is one field im most willing to go for just because its different.But at the same time I know it would be a big gamble as at present the aviation industry is not actually touching the skies and hence there is a lot of saturation in the marked.But as there are many experts out here I would like to seek help from you all to guide me onto the right path..

I know my post seems very vague but I hope you understand that this is how the scenario is at present and I really need your help.

Thanking you all.
Enigma.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks