Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2007, 15:46   #1
BANNED

Do you wear gloves while driving a car ?

At first it seems weird , but i've seen few people wearing gloves while driving a car , so thought to ask you guys , why they wear them ?
Old 12th October 2007, 15:53   #2
BHPian

Why for car?

Not for a car driving. I used to wear it while driving bike. For car it feel strange, because anyway after driving - reaching home/office I wash hands with soap.
Old 12th October 2007, 15:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to wear white cotton gloves while breakdancing.

You could buy them at any sports shop, to wear inside the wicket keepers ugly gloves. But then I gave it up. Not wicket-keeping, the breakdancing. It was affecting my digestion. Not the gloves, the dancing.

In any case around that time, hero-type people used to also wear gloves with cut off fingers for breakdancing. Some even wore it for weightlifting. Sometimes they would wear just one on the right hand and walk with someone who would only wear a glove on his left hand.

I guess if you could breakdance and lift weights in your car while driving, gloves would be useful.

P.S. If you do the moonwalk while driving, does that become brake-dancing?
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2007, 16:08   #4
BHPian

only when i am driving my F1 car.
Old 12th October 2007, 16:19   #5
BHPian

After a dinner visit to a very Italian friend's house in Laaawng Isslann, I got a ride in her father's black 740i. He was driving us to a bar and I happened to notice that he put on these nice Neimen Marcus leather gloves prior to wrapping his hands around the steering wheel. Later, I was told that he's in the "construction" and "waste removal" business. So thats one explanation for you.

P.S. Samuel - you riddin dirty?
Old 12th October 2007, 16:22   #6
BHPian

One of my do so !

Reason he has allergic disorder and any frictional contact cause skin trouble to hands
so I guess there can be many reasons beside these ones!
Old 12th October 2007, 16:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

1. As of now no, but I have seen Hollywood films in which a limo is frequently driven by a driver wearing gloves.
2. Soon, people may have to wear helmets in their cars, as the people who presently wear helmets on the road will switch to Tata's forthcoming safe car (and thus have no use for helmets) and continue to hump cars every now and then.
Old 12th October 2007, 17:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

A lot of times I have seen Women wearing these kind of long gloves.

AFAIK they help prevent sun-tan.
Old 12th October 2007, 18:25   #9
BHPian

The only driver I have seen wearing the gloves is Duckworth. Remember Unclo Scrooge's driver in Duck Tales (animated television series)

Besides that, it could be skin disorder, as drkhalsa mentioned. The fairer sex wears it to avoid sunburn when they have kept their elbows/arms on the side door with windows rolled down, or even when direct sunlight falls on their arms. One of my friends use to do this, she used to drive everyday from Tilak Nagar to Gurgaon in her Maruti 800 in mad rush and scorching rush.

Coming back to the thread question, No I dont wear them
Old 12th October 2007, 18:53   #10
BHPian

I did wear my gloves once while driving. It was while I was working in gurgaon and had to drop a friend at the airport at 5 in the morning. The heater was not working at it was freezing out there. So I drove him to the airport wearing biking gloves, two jackets and track pants below my jeans
Old 12th October 2007, 18:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sam! That's outrageously funny!!
The ramblings of an unfettered mind .......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I used to wear white cotton gloves while breakdancing.
You could buy them at any sports shop, to wear inside the wicket keepers ugly gloves. But then I gave it up. Not wicket-keeping, the breakdancing. It was affecting my digestion. Not the gloves, the dancing.
In any case around that time, hero-type people used to also wear gloves with cut off fingers for breakdancing. Some even wore it for weightlifting. Sometimes they would wear just one on the right hand and walk with someone who would only wear a glove on his left hand.
I guess if you could breakdance and lift weights in your car while driving, gloves would be useful.
As for myself, no thank you, I do not wear gloves while driving.
Mainly because I cannot breakdance, hate doing weights and no one wanted me as wicket keeper!
Old 12th October 2007, 21:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

I don't drive without gloves. Wait..Not always. From months Nov through Feb peak winter season with temperatures reaching sub zero levels. It would be virtually impossible to touch the steering in the morning without gloves during this period. By the way, this is the US am talking about. I dont think I would dare do such a thing as driving with gloves once am back in India.
Old 12th October 2007, 21:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
A lot of times I have seen Women wearing these kind of long gloves.

AFAIK they help prevent sun-tan.
Yep.. i have seen women wearing these white gloves too.
I think they are to prevent sun tanning.
Old 12th October 2007, 23:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

yes, in US winters, i bought the thin work gloves with rubber grip spots on the palm, so i get a good grip on the steering.

i take them off in 5 mins, when the vents start blowing hot air, pointed directly at my hands (if not at the windshield, to melt away the rest of the snow+ice....aarrggghhh don't remind me of winter please)

in india i used to wear gloves when biking. I had those with cut off fingers, they give a better tactile sensing for operating switches.
Old 12th October 2007, 23:20   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
as the people who presently wear helmets on the road will switch to Tata's forthcoming safe car (and thus have no use for helmets) and continue to hump cars every now and then.
continue to 'hump' cars every now and then? talk about car lovers!!!

that could be a symptom of true love, maybe...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks