Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 14:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Jakkur Flying school shuts operations

RIP GFTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Land development opportunity coming up or a small race track, i hope!
Very true. Once the dust settles down, one fine day we will get the news that someone is building a five star hotel there or a shopping mall. Or at the least, they will lease the place to some private parties for running some amusement park.

Similarly, once there was a proposal to lease out the Hebbal lake to Oberoi's group to construct a "floating hotel" in the middle of the lake. Since then they have scrapped the plan due to the public outcry. Full story HERE
Old 9th June 2014, 13:37   #17
BHPian

re: The 'Flying Schools' Thread

It is shocking to hear this news .

It has been there so long and seeing gliders, prop planes flying out of Jakkur for most part of my life that I didn't even imagine an end would come to it.

Sad to see a landmark from North Bangalore disappearing
Old 14th June 2014, 10:52   #18
BHPian

Re: Jakkur Flying school shuts operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Very true. Once the dust settles down, one fine day we will get the news that someone is building a five star hotel there or a shopping mall. Or at the least, they will lease the place to some private parties for running some amusement park.
Times of India published a nice report on the closure of Jakkur GFTS on 13 May.

The report reiterates some of the the worries we have raised here about the land encroachments/gabs.

The report says:

Quote:
Jakkur's flyers are a worried lot as they fear the land might be up for grabs, given that the club is no longer functioning. Spread over 214 acres, the land is estimated to be worth Rs 10,000 crore. Infrastructure expert Chandrashekar Hariharan confirmed that land prices are in the range of Rs 6 crore to Rs 8 crore adjacent to the main road.

The CID has already probed efforts to grab the club land over the past decade. "At a recent meeting, there was a suggestion to elevate the airstrip and bring it to the level of the highway. This is unscientific. There are plans of shifting flying operations to the HAL airport. There seems to be a bigger conspiracy behind all this to grab the land located at a prime place," said Capt Sharma.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Former sports and youth affairs minister Goolihatti D Shekhar, who had blocked efforts to close the school when in office, said the government has been aware of attempts to encroach upon the premises.
Read the FULL ARTICLE HERE
Old 10th March 2015, 06:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

Amateur Pilot's course

Hello people, any amateur pilots in the house?

I have been fascinated by flying an airplane for a while and am now in a good position to take up a flying lessons.

Nothing too big or serious; I am happy with being a certified pilot on the smaller (2/4) seater planes.

I am currently in the Bay Area, California and can dedicate a good amount of time on the weekends.

I've been looking up flying clubs in California but would rather go by first hand experiences.

If any of you have taken up such a course or know someone who has, please let me know!
Old 15th March 2015, 08:05   #20
BHPian

Re: Amateur Pilot's course

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hello people, any amateur pilots in the house?

I have been fascinated by flying an airplane for a while and am now in a good position to take up a flying lessons.

Nothing too big or serious; I am happy with being a certified pilot on the smaller (2/4) seater planes.

I am currently in the Bay Area, California and can dedicate a good amount of time on the weekends.

I've been looking up flying clubs in California but would rather go by first hand experiences.

If any of you have taken up such a course or know someone who has, please let me know!
There are many good flying training schools in California and Florida. I could check with one of my batch mates who did his commercial flying training in the US and is now a Airbus A380 commander. (will revert back as soon as I hear from him).

I did my training in India, have a Private Pilot's License obtained through Government Flying Training School, Jakkur, Bangalore. Being a NCC Air Wing cadet, to qualify I had to clear the Pilot's Aptitude Test from Indian Air Force and the flying course was therefore FREE (paid for by Govt).
Old 17th March 2015, 02:49   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
There are many good flying training schools in California and Florida. I could check with one of my batch mates who did his commercial flying training in the US and is now a Airbus A380 commander. (will revert back as soon as I hear from him).

I did my training in India, have a Private Pilot's License obtained through Government Flying Training School, Jakkur, Bangalore. Being a NCC Air Wing cadet, to qualify I had to clear the Pilot's Aptitude Test from Indian Air Force and the flying course was therefore FREE (paid for by Govt).
Thanks! That'd be great.
Old 17th March 2015, 11:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Thanks! That'd be great.
Got a response - he did his commercial flying training in Florida, that is more than 2600 miles from Bay Area ! Suggest you check up with nearby flight schools and compare costs. I am familiar with Bay Area, but have no clue about the flight schools there - apologies. Wishing you the best and Happy Landings !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks