Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2007, 17:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need help on Tips and Precautions - Selling Car.

Could not any best place to put this..

I was trying to find out the things I should take care of while selling my car. Couple of questions are like:

How do handle deals with dealers and individuals?
How to transfer name? Should I keep the car until name is transferred.
How do deal with keeping the NCB of old car. Should I buy the owner a new insurance and keep the NCB. How does it works.
What all other things I should take care while selling.
How should I handle the money transaction. Should it be all cash or cheque? I know this is bit difficult questions as answer may vary alot.
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think this section helps, even though it is from the other angle.
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Few golden rules on selling the car -

1. Always it is better to sell the car to the person you know or to a person who will be the final owner. Avoid selling the car to a dealer.
2. Sign of the RTO papers only after it is fully filled. Don't sign blank papers
3. Get the insurance (With NCB) cancelled and ask the new owner to buy his own insurance.
4. Take copies of owner's driving license and his residence proof. Make sure you get a sign off on a document that says the car is delivered to him on a specific date and he will get the same registered in his name by so-and-so date.
5. Make sure you have witnesses from both sides signing the doc with addresses of both witnesses.

The above rules is to ensure that you would not face any legal hassles after selling the car.
Old 29th April 2008, 10:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ok so I am just reviving his thread for couple of questions:

RTO Papers: Just did some research and its Form 29 and Form 30 that need to be filled. Do we have to sign multiple copies of the form and both parties keep the copies.

Besides above do I need to get consent from the buyer on notary paper, that I have sold the car, and all futures liabilities from this date lies with new owner.

Do I have to go with the buyer for the transfer of ownership, or I just sent a mail to RTO. I remember somebody did that in one thread.

Once I take the cash or DD, should I handover the vehicle immediately after signing the above mentioned papers.

Can I safely hand over all this process to some agent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Few golden rules on selling the car -

1. Always it is better to sell the car to the person you know or to a person who will be the final owner. Avoid selling the car to a dealer.
2. Sign of the RTO papers only after it is fully filled. Don't sign blank papers
3. Get the insurance (With NCB) cancelled and ask the new owner to buy his own insurance.
4. Take copies of owner's driving license and his residence proof. Make sure you get a sign off on a document that says the car is delivered to him on a specific date and he will get the same registered in his name by so-and-so date.
5. Make sure you have witnesses from both sides signing the doc with addresses of both witnesses.

The above rules is to ensure that you would not face any legal hassles after selling the car.

Last edited by rkbharat : 29th April 2008 at 10:25.
Old 17th July 2008, 11:17   #5
BHPian

I sold my car to a car used car dealer in Bangalore yesterday, he has just given me the delivery note.

I requested the used car dealer send all the copy of transfer documents once it is transferred to his customer.

How do i make sure i am not getting into trouble in future if the transfer does not happen?

please give me your thoughts on this, since i sold to used car dealer i am not sure how to handle this?

-MUKE
Old 17th July 2008, 16:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
I sold my car to a car used car dealer in Bangalore yesterday, he has just given me the delivery note.

I requested the used car dealer send all the copy of transfer documents once it is transferred to his customer.

How do i make sure i am not getting into trouble in future if the transfer does not happen?

please give me your thoughts on this, since i sold to used car dealer i am not sure how to handle this?

-MUKE
I would like to scare you here. My uncle had done this about 2 years ago and the police caught him last month as the car that he sold to the dealer was not transferred from his name to the new owners. The car was used for non ethical stuff and my uncle was questioned about it later on!!!! Make sure you close the deal ASAP and get all the documents. My uncle didn't do it and paid for it!!!
Old 17th July 2008, 21:57   #7
BHPian

1. As you know it is sold to used car dealer how do i ensure that it is
transferred to the new owner? it is not possible to ensure that he sell the car to genuine customer or tranfer the documents?

2. What other precautionary measures i can take to safeguard myself?

experts please give me your quick suggestions

-MUKE
Old 17th July 2008, 23:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@muke, check this thread :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...g-cheated.html

Note from Mod: Please continue the discussion on our "selling a car" article

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2009 at 15:14. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks