Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 21:17   #1
BHPian

Shopkeeper not ready to give cash receipt of the Item sold.

Hi all,

Generally, we don't ask bills, cash memos etc for the purchases we do on small general stores etc, and these shopkeepers get away from sale-tax, income-tax etc.

Today I went to a general street mobile shop for recharging my wife's mobile. Paid the amount and asked for the Bill, The shopkeeper just gave me a paper with amount written on his cheap letter head, which was not having any details about sale-tax number etc. when I asked for a proper bill, he simply said "No, we cannot give Bills for recharge coupons."
This was a surprise to me. I always used to get proper bills whereever I used to recharge my cell. This shopkeeper was so reluctant to give the bill that he even asked me to return the coupon and purchase from somewhere else.

Is there a way to teach a lesson to these kind of people who always try to get away with bill etc. Is there a "Greivence cell" in bangalore who can take a complaint against these kind of people and act upon.

Thanks in advance.
GD
Old 14th November 2007, 21:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats wierd. There's something fishy there.
Correct me if I'm wrong,but isn't it a rule that every item sold from a shop/store had/should be accounted for?So issuing a receipt is necessary. If the owner was trying to get away with any kind of tax payments,he ought to be taken to task.

Does this qualify as some type of fraudulence? Does the Lok Ayuktha deal with such issues?

I remember something like this happening many years ago, when my dad & I went to buy some things from a hardware shop.The guy flatly refused to give a receipt, though we'd bought stuff worth Rs 200. I could have imagined not being issued a receipt for something under Rs 10-15.

Last edited by Nitin : 14th November 2007 at 21:39.
Old 14th November 2007, 23:27   #3
BHPian

Most general stores (90% baniya marwadis) getaway with cheap paper bill no matter which item u buy whether it costs 10rs or 1000rs they never pay taxes
Old 14th November 2007, 23:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
Most general stores (90% baniya marwadis) getaway with cheap paper bill no matter which item u buy whether it costs 10rs or 1000rs they never pay taxes
even the biggest of jewelry shops in chennai just give you an "estimate" in lieu of receipt. what do you say for that?
Old 14th November 2007, 23:38   #5
BHPian

I think with a Recharge voucher, the bill is generally not needed since the Tax is already paid and accounted for, Not seen anyone issuing a bill for it- Even when you do a E-charge or Direct Debit Charge for Ebanking, You still don't recieve it.

However with everyother good, A bill should be issued. After all

Tax collection fuel the development of the Country.
Old 14th November 2007, 23:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
even the biggest of jewelry shops in chennai just give you an "estimate" in lieu of receipt. what do you say for that?

usually when our family shops i get the estimate and then a proper bill at the cashier
Old 14th November 2007, 23:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Tax collection fuel the development of the Country.
Why do we all buy our electronics, cameras and even superbikes etc from the grey market?? Why underquote property prices on the registration document? Why not buy with bill by paying the full taxes? Cost more with bill, doesn't it?

I believe, if we cannot answer the above question, we have no right to ask for a bill. Whats wrong with the seller not giving bill to avoid taxes?
Old 15th November 2007, 00:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you buy something from a reliable & well known shop,its quite normal to expect a receipt.If its from some dingy place in some market,then its absolutely ok to buy something without a bill/receipt.
Eitherways,the only way a receipt comes in handy,is if something goes wrong with the purchased item,and some sort of compensation/replacement is needed.
Old 15th November 2007, 01:39   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Why do we all buy our electronics, cameras and even superbikes etc from the grey market?? Why underquote property prices on the registration document? Why not buy with bill by paying the full taxes? Cost more with bill, doesn't it?

I believe, if we cannot answer the above question, we have no right to ask for a bill. Whats wrong with the seller not giving bill to avoid taxes?
... well said my friend !!
Old 15th November 2007, 09:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
I think with a Recharge voucher, the bill is generally not needed since the Tax is already paid and accounted for, Not seen anyone issuing a bill for it- Even when you do a E-charge or Direct Debit Charge for Ebanking, You still don't recieve it.
Airtel shops issue bill for even Rs 10/- E-Charge.
Old 15th November 2007, 10:03   #11
BHPian

Wasnt VAT supposed to solve this problem??
Old 15th November 2007, 10:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Wasnt VAT supposed to solve this problem??
I think, All taxes, including VAT is included in the recharge coupon cost.
Old 15th November 2007, 11:58   #13
BHPian

Agreed that all taxes are already included in the MRP.
But the problem in case of recharge vouchers is that the commission that the shopkeeper earns is "his" income and by not giving receipt, he saves "his" income tax.
Old 15th November 2007, 12:06   #14
BHPian

no i meant wasnt VAT suppose to solve the problem of saving sales tax by not generating bills.
Old 15th November 2007, 12:23   #15
BHPian

Ajo,
I think there is a lot of difference between what you said and the original post. Would you buy a sony TV from the grey market( without bill of course ) if he quotes the same price as the sony world outlet.

In the case you mentioned, you are taking a calculated risk and getting a discount. I dont think he got a discount on the voucher.

So, i feel the seller is wrong in refusing a bill where there is no "tangible" benefit for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks