Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:27   #1
BHPian

Wi-fi linked to childhood autism!!!

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!
Here is what i found.
Study links WiFi with childhood autism - Engadget

While there seems to be relatively few things that WiFi hasn't been linked to, it seems that a new study has managed to turn up yet another potential peril, in this case a link to childhood autism. According to the study published in the Australasian Journal of Clinical Environmental Medicine, the electromagnetic radiation from WiFi devices supposedly causes metals to be trapped in individuals' brain cells, which the researchers say slows clearance and accelerates the onset of autism symptoms. As Computer Weekly points out, however, a number of health agencies, including the World Health Organization, have repeatedly examined the issue and found no danger from WiFi devices (or cellphones, for that matter) operating at levels below international guidelines. Still, we have a sneaking suspicion that this is far from the last study of this sort we'll see, at least until each WiFi router shipped comes bundled with a tinfoil bodysuit.
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:36   #2
BHPian

Oh come on! These researchers I tell you $#@$#
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is a setting in the wifi-router which increases range but results in adverse effects to the human body.
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:45   #4
BHPian

Its difficult to believe this unless supported by some data. There is no wattage numbers above which the radio signals in the band affect human body. It also does not point to various bands WiFi operates in and relative merits/ demerits. How about a plethora of cordless phones operating in the same bands ?

Unless more details are revealed its one of those speculative stuff.
Old 22nd November 2007, 22:06   #5
BHPian

Hi Sreeni, I too don't usually fall for these "studies", most are dubious, poorly researched. But, just playing the devil's advocate here - there was a time when the tobacco industry insisted that smoking wasn't harmful ! Sure, the manufacturers of mobile & WiFi devices can't be compared to the unscrupulous tobacco industry, but can we be really sure ?
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:12   #6
BHPian

To believe it or not is a different thing. But i'm only thinking that the atmosphere is full of radio waves of all spectrum ranges. Imagine, satellites, cell phones, radios, televisions, cordless phones, laptops, bluetooth devices, walkie talkie radios, short wave radios used by the call taxis and what not.
If all of these have not done any harm in the last 10 or 15 years they have been around. THe odds are they wont do any harm. .
However, if you have not noticed, human defects like autism are more prevelant today than they were 10 years before. Is it because they were not understood 10 years before so no one knew about it? Or is it all because of these crazy radio/micro/short waves floating around in the air?
God Only Knows!
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

I bet the research was funded directly or indirectly by some company (or consortium of companies) that makes cables.
Old 23rd November 2007, 12:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I bet the research was funded directly or indirectly by some company (or consortium of companies) that makes cables.
could be very true. If this was a genuine research, then we would have been hearing about it through many other means.
Old 24th November 2007, 01:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.C View Post
However, if you have not noticed, human defects like autism are more prevelant today than they were 10 years before. Is it because they were not understood 10 years before so no one knew about it? Or is it all because of these crazy radio/micro/short waves floating around in the air?
God Only Knows!

Thats a possiblity. I was reading about some disease recently(can't remember which one now) which has been reported many more number of times in the recent past than 10-15 years ago, for which some said the reason was that awareness of this disease in India was pretty less back then, but since people know about it now more cases of this disease are being reported.
Old 24th November 2007, 05:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

10 years back we were not pampered with easy access to over processed food (today many of us do not eat anything natural, somebody i know can't drink plain water, and only eats fries and cheese and meat), luxury devices which for example can control even 1 degree of tempterature (even under feet, in bathrooms), and had less pressure to kill competition or stay in top 10% in our apraisals (talk about cut throat competition, it's really cutting our generation).

if somebody did deeper studies, these problem would have been risen exponentially in US over past 10 yrs.

PS: human body is an amazing machine. but if we start pampering it, it goes backwards and starts demanding more.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 24th November 2007 at 05:11.
Old 25th November 2007, 01:30   #11
BHPian

Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Sreeni, I too don't usually fall for these "studies", most are dubious, poorly researched. But, just playing the devil's advocate here - there was a time when the tobacco industry insisted that smoking wasn't harmful ! Sure, the manufacturers of mobile & WiFi devices can't be compared to the unscrupulous tobacco industry, but can we be really sure ?
This is what I also said. Its difficult to believe when we are not sure. With so many more details missing, it raises more suspicion. As I mentioned earlier there are so many other devices that operate in the same or similar RF bands, are they not causing problems ? What about Microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc.. WiFi ISM band is open, license free, a plethora of devices could operate in this band. Is there any reason to pick only WiFi ?

Last edited by sreenivass : 25th November 2007 at 01:32.
Old 26th November 2007, 12:46   #12
BHPian

This is like the research that goes to say that Cell phones cause Heart attacks or kill brain cells.
Actually not one of these researchers predicted they could burst. But thats what happened
Speaks volumes about these guys. But honestly. Are these waves harmful in some way or the other? should we walk around with tin foil lined dresses to protect ourselves. (Now, wait a second. Let me picture that). LoL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks