Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2007, 21:12   #1
BHPian

LPG Geyser - Any suggestions ?

Hi Friends,

The electric geyser at home conked off this morning and it seems there is considerable repair expenditure involved, I was wondering if I should replace it with a LPG based Geyser ?
Do any of the member have any experience with LPG Geysers?
Is it safe?
Any known brands I should consider?

Thanks in advance
Old 6th December 2007, 21:18   #2
BHPian

Would advise against it.Here in Bangalore, lots of incidents have been reported where people have died while in the bathroom.
The lpg geyser has to be in a ventilated area - suggest you go in for a electrical geyser.
Old 6th December 2007, 21:26   #3
BHPian

Why not look at the solar option?
Old 6th December 2007, 21:29   #4
BHPian

We use gas gyser in my hometown(karnal). Serving us well since last 3 yrs. Not sure but I guess its brand is helix.
Most important thing to keep in mind is installation.
It must be installed in well ventilated area. As it burns LPG, the result of combustion is CO, which is colorless, odorless very dangerous gas.
At my place its a habit to keep the doors open for the time gyser is on. Generally half a bucket of water heated at 55 deg(takes 5 mins) is enough to give you 1.5 buckets of water to take a bath in 5 deg jan winter.
One cylinder lasts for abt 4-5 months.

Since availability of electricity is bit of a prob in delhi, you may consider gas gyser also...but keep in mind the safety measures.

@gr8guzzler, solar gysers are good for cities like mumbai/ bangalore....but for delhi when you need hot water the most(dec end jan mid), most of the time sun god comes out once a week or so

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 6th December 2007 at 21:32.
Old 6th December 2007, 21:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Gas geysers are quite safe and very economical. I know several of my friends who have been using these for a few years now, without any issues. Incidents of people falling unconscious etc. are in cases where there is absolutely no ventilation in the bath room and the geysers are kept burning for a long time. This leads to depletion of oxygen and build up of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide makes people feel lethargic and they become unconscious. Unfortunately, you do not realize that there is something wrong. Women were the usual victims since they generally ended up spending a lot of time in the bath room. I think the newer geysers also come with sensors that detect the oxygen level. I also think there are ISI standards for these geysers. These are also instant geysers.

If you have an option to install the geyser outside the bath room and give only the Hot water outlet pipe in the bath room, that would be the best.

Last edited by pjbiju : 6th December 2007 at 21:44.
Old 6th December 2007, 21:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

My sister had fainted twice in bangalore due to being in the bathroom for long with the geyzer on.If your bathroom is well ventilated go for it.Otherwise take the electric way
Old 6th December 2007, 23:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
Would advise against it.Here in Bangalore, lots of incidents have been reported where people have died while in the bathroom.
The lpg geyser has to be in a ventilated area - suggest you go in for a electrical geyser.
Thanks for the inputs raghuram. i was contemplating on one until i read your's & humyum's posts. These small risks are not worth taking.
Old 6th December 2007, 23:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

GAS GEYSERS are UNSAFE.

That is the sole reason why none of the companies push that product. Even CNG geysers aren't as safe as CNG vehicles. For rest google or ask a knowledgeable fellow in the field
Old 27th September 2009, 10:24   #9
BHPian

Gas geysers are safe if installed correctly

Came across this old thread and thought it needed some input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
GAS GEYSERS are UNSAFE.

That is the sole reason why none of the companies push that product. Even CNG geysers aren't as safe as CNG vehicles. For rest google or ask a knowledgeable fellow in the field
NOT CORRECT! The Gas geysers are safe (or atleast as safe as your gas stoves), as long as they are correctly installed. They should always be installed in Open, well ventilated areas with proper exhuast and NEVER in bathrooms (even if they have exhust fans etc).

Mahanagar Gas (the piped CNG supplier for Mumbai) has a very good guideline for installation of gas geyers. See http://www.mahanagargas.com/gas-geyser.pdf

Use of Gas gysers is very common in Europe and Japan.
Old 28th September 2009, 17:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Came across this old thread and thought it needed some input.

NOT CORRECT! The Gas geysers are safe (or atleast as safe as your gas stoves), as long as they are correctly installed. They should always be installed in Open, well ventilated areas with proper exhuast and NEVER in bathrooms (even if they have exhust fans etc).

Mahanagar Gas (the piped CNG supplier for Mumbai) has a very good guideline for installation of gas geyers. See http://www.mahanagargas.com/gas-geyser.pdf

Use of Gas gysers is very common in Europe and Japan.
Attached is an advertisement for a Gas Water Heater for information only..
Attached Thumbnails
LPG Geyser - Any suggestions ?-dhamaka.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks