Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2007, 17:13   #1
BHPian

Resorts in Kumarkkom

Hi,

Not sure if this was discussed. People who have been to Kumarakkom, would like you to recoomend any nice resort there. Also would like to spend a night on the house boat with my spouse. Got any contacts?

Thanks!
~DWind
Old 11th December 2007, 21:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

I can give you a houseboat contact in Alapuzha. After 20th Dec, prices go up to upto 5K per bedroom. Season time.
Old 12th December 2007, 08:08   #3
BANNED

Radisson Plaza Resort & Spa, Kumarakom

Radisson Plaza is a very good resort in Kumarakom...

Radisson Plaza Resort & Spa Kumarakom

V-235 A1 to A54, Karottukayal , Kumarakom , Kottayam Kerala 686 563 , India
Reservations: (888) 201-1718 US Toll Free
Telephone: +91 481 2527272 Fax: +91 481 252 7282
Email: sales@radissonkumarakom.comCheers
Old 12th December 2007, 14:13   #4
BHPian

What is the budget you are looking at ?? I was in kumarkom during october first week and had stayed at illekam lake resort. ( They charged me 1750 for a AC cottage), during this time it will be a lil more. The raddison sure is a great place but was out of my budget. The place I am talking about is just half a Km from the raddison on the same street.
Old 12th December 2007, 14:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I've stayed at Kumarakom Lake Resort.
Kumarakom Lake Resort, Kerala Backwaters, Heritage Resorts & Villas, Holiday Accommodation in Kerala India

Its a very comfortable and nice resort. The food is also great. I had taken a package from them that included a night stay on a houseboat.

check it out
Old 12th December 2007, 14:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I've stayed at Kumarakom Lake Resort.
Kumarakom Lake Resort, Kerala Backwaters, Heritage Resorts & Villas, Holiday Accommodation in Kerala India

Its a very comfortable and nice resort. The food is also great. I had taken a package from them that included a night stay on a houseboat.

check it out
It is the best of the lot.

There's a whole host of resorts available there:

Taj Hotels - Taj Garden Retreat, Kumarakom

CGHEarth Hotels - Coconut Lagoon Kumarakom

::: ABAD Whispering Palms :::

Radisson Plaza Resort & Spa Kumarakom

KTDC Waterscapes Kumarakom, Kerala

Check Kumarakom Tourist Info for accomodation in other places and rough guides to prices.

You may also want to check out Philipkutty's Farm , Exclusive and Special Hideaway : Home stay run by the wife of the late Vinod Philip who was part of TBHP for a brief while before his tragic death.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th December 2007 at 14:46.
Old 12th December 2007, 15:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

i stayed in kumaragam lake resort. nice place. (expensive?) they also arranged a fantastic house boat. we took a lake-view cottage (based on resort recommendation), but i would have preferred pool facing because the lake in the lake-view is quite far from your cottage.. pool facing cottage doesn't offer any lake view.. but instant access to the pool.. depends on u i guess. i was told they are upgrading the cottages to have private pool (slight big tub?)..

others might disagree, but here is my strong recommendation: Do not stay overnight in the house boat. let them charge for the day&night - but sleep in a nice hotel or just head back home. house boat in the night is a PITA for the following reasons:
after a fantastic lunch on the house boat, dinner was a bad experience. mostly because of the flies and stuff.
they park/anchor one house boat behind the other.. so the exhaust gases of the generators are connected in series.. pretty dumb arrangement.. all the boats will be stinking of the exhaust fumes..

OTH daytime house boat ride with a lavish lunch is great! make sure u are given a good chef/cook with the boat.
Old 12th December 2007, 16:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
others might disagree, but here is my strong recommendation: Do not stay overnight in the house boat. let them charge for the day&night - but sleep in a nice hotel or just head back home. house boat in the night is a PITA for the following reasons:
after a fantastic lunch on the house boat, dinner was a bad experience. mostly because of the flies and stuff.
they park/anchor one house boat behind the other.. so the exhaust gases of the generators are connected in series.. pretty dumb arrangement.. all the boats will be stinking of the exhaust fumes..
Solution: ask your driver to anchor in the middle of a stream. Thats what we did and it was a splendid experience, anchored bang in the middle, with no unnatural sounds to disturb....
Old 12th December 2007, 16:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

when we stayed (jan types) the boat man anchored bang in the middle of the lake. we could see the lights of the other boats but quite far off... it was the most relaxing time i have ever experienced.
Old 12th December 2007, 16:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

What a time for this thread? I am planning a trip sometime during the last week of Jan. I am planning to drive down to Alleppy/Kumarkkom, Munnar and Tekkadi. Which one is a better place to spend in a house boat, Alleppy or Kumarkkom? I would like to travel a bit in back waters and get the boat anchored at a good place.
Old 12th December 2007, 21:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
What a time for this thread? I am planning a trip sometime during the last week of Jan. I am planning to drive down to Alleppy/Kumarkkom, Munnar and Tekkadi. Which one is a better place to spend in a house boat, Alleppy or Kumarkkom? I would like to travel a bit in back waters and get the boat anchored at a good place.
Kumarakom- Vembanad Lake.
Old 12th December 2007, 23:47   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

If ever there was a hotel I could have just not gone home from, it was Coconut Lagoon in Kumarakom.

But it is expensive :(
Old 12th December 2007, 23:56   #13
BANNED

Lake Paradise Resorts-Kumarokam call 0481524900
bangalore number 08041124848.

My Brother had gone for their Honeymoon Even my cousin has gone for the same on 10th .

By far one of the best well maintained resorts to find.

Prices also decent with good food.

Do let me know how it was?
Old 13th December 2007, 05:58   #14
BANNED

The best resort as of now in Kumarakom is the Radisson. But horribly expensive. Then comes Coconut lagoon, Kumarakom lake resort, Taj etc... Ramada also has one but I haven't been there. There're good homestays available in and around the area too.

The cheapest option is to go directly to Kottayam and stay in one of the best hotels there. Book a night in a houseboat at Kumarakom and spend the whole day or 2 there. This way, You'll save the exorbitant hotel rates at Kumarakom due to the peak season. While at Kottayam, don't forget to catch a meal at Karimpinkaala located at Pallam. One of the best traditional seafood available in Kerala.

Team-BHP is a non commercial site. So, I don't want to use this post for any commercial purposes. Else, I would've went on typing in more details of different packages we offer.
Old 13th December 2007, 12:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
While at Kottayam, don't forget to catch a meal at Karimpinkaala located at Pallam. One of the best traditional seafood available in Kerala.
Or in Dubai

Most Viewed