Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2005, 22:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need some info on interstate transfering of cars.

One of our members "Kokaine" is on the look out for a Vtec. So i told him about the Black one that was for sale at 5.75.

Now he wanted to know, what would be the best and cheapest way to transfer the car in his name and get it to Karnataka, from B'bay.

Are there any loop holes to transferring a car? Or will everybody have to pay the same amount. Would it be possible to save money if he were to transfer the car in his name (in bbay) and drive down to Blore?

Is there a certain certificate he can get from the bbay RTo saying that the road tax for the vehicle has already been paid?

Ok this is very confusing to me as i'm a big "Zero" when it comes to such stuff. So can someone make sense of this and explain the various steps, to transfering the car from Maharashtra to Karnataka.

Eg: Car - Vtec - 5.75 lakhs. How much will he have to pay apart from the price of the car?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 9th January 2005 at 22:48.
Old 9th January 2005, 23:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think , he will have to add atleast 20-25 k for all the paperwork and transfer cost.
Old 10th January 2005, 10:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Your friend shouldnt pay the road tax for Maharashtra... it should have already been paid by the car's previous owner.
i think the road tax is on a per-state basis, so even if the road tax for the car has been paid for in maharashtra, he will still have to shell out a few extra grands and pay the road tax for karnataka (unless there is some agreement between the two states, which is kinda unlikely). You can find out some more info at http://rto.kar.nic.in , when the website comes up. At the time of writing this post, the site was down.

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 10th January 2005, 11:14   #4
BHPian

as far as i know the road tax is really high in karnataka and would probably work out to more than 20-25k. So really dont think it makes sense picking up a car from somewhere else and getting it down to karnataka. Am not too sure about exactly how much the road tax is but i think it is really high and would more than make up for the amount you save by buying a car cheaper somewhere else.
Old 10th January 2005, 11:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Process to do the transfer

Hi,

He will have to ask the owner to get him an NOC in his name from the RTO in bbay where the car is registered(hence pay a small amout as a advance and pay him in full when the NOC is put into the RC book), the transfer will not happen in bbay.

He can the drive the car down to b'lore and he will then have to do the following:

1) Submit the sale paper's and the NOC to the RTO here
2) Get the name of the ownership transferred.
3) Get a new KA number
4) Pay the road tax as applicable
5) Get his insurance transffered to a local branch of the insurance company
6) Get back to the RTO in bby with the transfer docs and apply for a refund of the road tax (how long this step might take is only known to the RTO in bbay)
Old 10th January 2005, 11:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

So in any case, he will have to pay atleast 25-30 grand right?

2 off my relatives had the same prob. One had a Cielo with KL reg and the other was a Uno with MH. They were both asked to shell out 30K in order to get the cars registered in Karnataka, but since both cars had horrible resale value, they decided to sell them off, in their respective states.

The first Vtec that came to Hubli was got from Gujarat, and the owner claimed that he had saved somwhere between 80K to 1 Lakh, on tax. Wonder how he managed to do that. But the thing is, eventually he was aksed to pay the complete amount. So ive a feeling there maynot be any loop holes and even if there were any, they have been removed.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 10th January 2005 at 11:43.
Old 10th January 2005, 12:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

well, the rto website says that u have to pay the tax within 12 months of bringing the car into the state. I guess the loophole to exploit here would be that how can they prove that the car has been in the state for more than 12 months?
Also, i had heard that you dont need to get the registration changed to KA regn, jus pay the road tax (using "transferable job" as an excuse). That way one may save a few grands (not sure how much) on re registration. But i think ur friend will have to get the car re registered anyways to reflect the change in ownership.
Old 10th January 2005, 13:04   #8
BHPian

I had checked about this sometime back (4-5 months ago). What I understood is that I would have to pay about 60-70k, for a 1 year old VTEC, as "whatever" charges to karnataka RTO. you have a period of one year to do this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks