Team-BHP - Dr Verghese Kurien for Bharat ratna and Noble peace prize
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Dr Verghese Kurien for Bharat ratna and Noble peace prize (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/34630-dr-verghese-kurien-bharat-ratna-noble-peace-prize.html)

Mods i do not know whether it fits this forum. but iam posting it anyway.

i personally feel many of the this generation do not recognize/ know the contribution of this man to India. so i thought why not a thread on this.

Verghese Kurien, winner of

Ramon Magsaysay Award (1963),
Wateler Peace Prize (1986),
World Food Prize (1989)( equivalent of Noble prize)
Padma Vibhushan (1999) and several other awards

institution builder IRMA, NDDB

he is most studied man. many business schools world over teach what is called as "Management Kurien Style"

the Number of PhD thesis about his work and many

the AMUL model replicated in more than 30-40 countries as an effective way of rural empowerment and sustainable employment generation

"A World Bank audit in 1998 revealed that of the Rs 200 crore the World Bank invested in Operation Flood, the net return into India’s rural economy was a massive Rs 24,000 crore each year over a period of 10 years."

He deserves much better from all of us indian's . He is a fit case of Bharat ratna and even Noble peace prize if one goes by the criteria adopted by noble committe for Md Younis and R Pachuri
here are some of the links

Organiser - Content

We give Bharat ratna's to politicians/ actors but not to this person.

I agree with you on this. He deserves it more than any political leader, sportsmen, actors, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by given2fly (Post 698166)
I agree with you on this. He deserves it more than any political leader, sportsmen, actors, etc.

agree:

i have read a book called AMUL INDIA STORY almost a decade ago and from then on i am a great admirer of him. i remember reading that initially he was not even keen to take up this job and took it up reluctantly.

it is an amazing story of hard work and collaborative effort.

regards
tifosi.

I agree.

Mr. Kurien should be acknowledged by Bharat Ratna and Nobel.

Else, we (India) should start giving away a new prize bigger than these two and name it as "Kurien Prize".

i agree. he didnt divide the country along religious/caste lines, didnt initiate riots, didnt indulge in any scams. above mentioned contributions are sufficient for him to get a bharat ratna. Above that he empowered and enriched lots of poor folks thru amul co-opreative.
And almost every1 uses the top quality amul products on the daily basis - qlty of amul products is at par with MNC's....

Yes, excellent choice. The father of the White Revolution which he achieved through Operation Flood.

Could also be M.S. Swaminathan the father of the Green Revolution.

Kalam also springs to the mind. I've not seen any President reaching out so much to the masses and especially children.

Well i really wanna read that book by mr krien. A greatly respected man and i love his take on rural empowerment which usually people miss out on in this era of globalisation.
But who bothers about this. Every politico wants it to be given to their leaders. Gosh its better no one gets it rather than some politician though am a supporter of one of them. They dont deserve it

Haven't we again gove a bit over-board. Bharat Ratna is OK for Dr. Kurien but why Nobel Peace prize, what exactly he has done for world peace?

\N

a society which is economically sound , where majority population are well placed it is difficult to lure guys in to terrorism/civil strife. civil strife starts due imbalanced sharing of spoils.

this is the major reason why Md Younis got Noble peace prize as he got micro credit to poor.

Amul model enabled sustainable income to rural mass. because of its success , the same model is replicated all over india and also in more than 40 countries.

the number of beneficiaries due to AMUL co-operative is much much more than what all the indian govt could do with massive DRDP/IRDP programmes over 40-50 years

I first heard about Dr.Kurien from my dad. He spoke very highly of this man and educated me about the impact 'Operation Flood' has had on the rural masses. Hats of to this selfless guy!!!

Dr Verghese Kurien is he from Kerala ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntomer (Post 699467)
Haven't we again gove a bit over-board. Bharat Ratna is OK for Dr. Kurien but why Nobel Peace prize, what exactly he has done for world peace?

\N

Nobel peace prize is a piece of crap. Its not worth it.

Past winners are Al gore, Jimmy carter. i dont see them doing much for peace...and Mahatma Gandhi hasnt got it.

OT:

Yup. The British Royalty and government at that time put enough pressure on the Nobel committee to block any chances of Gandhi getting it. I think he was nominated 5 times or so.

The Nobel committee admitted to this travesty sometime back.

Oops...! Double Post.

Folly Fixed

Quote:

Originally Posted by chetan (Post 699903)
Dr Verghese Kurien is he from Kerala ?

Yes.

Verghese Kurien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia