Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 11:12   #1
BHPian

Watch out for auto no 7049/2 in BLR

Just saw this news. Wanted to share it across.

Source: Times of India

Woman assaulted by auto driver-Bangalore-Cities-The Times of India

Beware of this autorickshaw — licence plate number: 7049/2, name: Nataraj B M/Venkatesh B M, address: Deve Gowda Block, Adugodi. He has been charged with assaulting a woman and running his vehicle over her.

Even as the city advertises its accommodating attitude — swalpa adjust maadi— auto drivers are increasingly turning hostile to commuters.

In yet another shocking incident, Bismah (name changed), a journalist in her 30s, was assaulted in broad daylight on the busy Rest House Road. The rickshaw driver abused her, pulled her around and ran the vehicle's wheels over her before fleeing. Bismah was on the ground with bruises, her clothes torn. Her only fault was that she refused to pay more than the metered fare.

The incident occurred at around 4.15 pm. Bismah hired the auto to get to MG Road from Indiranagar. Half-way, the driver took a detour to reach MG Road. When Bismah objected, the driver asked her to get off at Ulsoor. After giving the driver the minimum fare Bismah tried getting down, but the driver grumbled and continued to drive.
After reaching Rest House Road, the driver demanded more than the metered fare. When Bismah refused, the driver unleashed a verbal attack. Bismah left the amount displayed on the meter on the seat and started walking. He pulled her shawl, put it on the seat and started moving. Bismah took the shawl back. He again snatched the shawl and her bag and hung them on to the handle bar of the auto. When Bismah tried to retrieve these, he held her hand and started moving the vehicle. Bismah lost balance and fell on the road; the auto ran over her leg injuring her legs and ankle. Within seconds he sped away from the scene. The Cubbon Park police have registered a case and are looking out for the culprit.

That was not it. When Bismah was on the ground, onlookers rushed to nab the auto driver but in vain. A cameraman belonging to a news channel who was standing on the Church Street after shooting, saw the crowd running towards the auto. He too joined them to record the auto's registration number. During this time, a person who was in an inebriated state started fiddling with the camera tripod.

When the cameraman objected, the drunkard punched him in his face. The profusely bleeding cameraman was soon joined by his crew members and pounced on the drunken man. He was later taken to Cubbon Park police station and detained. Security guards who are on duty on this road say that such acts of vandalism and hooliganism occur frequently on this road.

Mods: Please delete this thread if irrevelant.

Thanks
Old 5th February 2008, 15:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

The auto drivers are the worst lot. They even have got the fare hike now. Moreoreasons for them to do these kind of things as commuters will ask for the chart of revised fares which I feel they will definately do not have (or rather they do not want to show). At least before giving the fare hike, the so called DCP should have ascertained with the auto drivers unions that if these kind of behaviours found, they will reverse back the fare hike. At least this will make them think twice before doing such kind of crimes.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:05   #3
BHPian

I have myself been tormented by bangalore rick walas during my brief stay of 2 months in blore. I always wonder why there is sooo much of a difference between rick drivers in mumbai and b'lore.
Old 5th February 2008, 16:07   #4
LLL
BHPian

Absolute pathetic behaviour. Fault lies not only with auto drivers but with cops as well. If they come down hard on autos, then they will all fall in line.

When the govt increased the minimum fare, did they also increase the penalty for overcharging or refusing fare?
Old 5th February 2008, 16:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just last week I was in Indiranagar. Took auto from Hotel Empire to Indiranagar, when I got off, my sister-in-law was paying the rickshaw guy and I went into the bungalow of the person we were visiting. When she came in she said that the richshaw driver demanded 20 more than what was on the meter but she refused and ended up giving 10 more as she didnt have change. I wish I didnt go in, I would have taken that son of a Bi**h on. When I came across this thread, I realized that this seems to be the trend there. I will remember this for the next time I come to Bangalore. These guys should be beaten up brutally.
Old 5th February 2008, 17:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

I hope the &*^&*&&* is caught and given his due share.

does these kind of brutality happen only in Bangalore or also in other places like Chennai, Hyd, Mumbai, etc?
Old 5th February 2008, 17:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

sad that there wasn't any decent men around to thulp the guts out of the arrogant @#$$
Old 5th February 2008, 18:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
does these kind of brutality happen only in Bangalore or also in other places like Chennai, Hyd, Mumbai, etc?
Auto drivers seem to share the same genetic structure all over this planet.

Exceptions exist of course. I have encountered some very pleasant drivers who charge just the right amount in chennai and are very courteous too.(although a rare instance but still worth mentioning).

Unless the cops take stringent action like impounding the auto AND arresting the driver AND cancelling his permit/license, no discipline can be enforced.

Hope the woman's injuries were minor and she gets back to shape real quick.... For the auto driver - he should be stripped bare to the skin and be dragged along the most pothole ridden roads of blore.
Old 5th February 2008, 21:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Holy crap!! And all along,the autodriver had the audacity to keep goofing around with the lady. Talk about the audacity these guys have.

The minute one autodriver gets into a rut,he's joined by so many of his colleagues,they make it a point to win over the situation no matter what.
Old 5th February 2008, 22:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I actually look forward to days where there're auto strikes. Its so much easier to drive on those days
Old 5th February 2008, 22:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very bad behaviour by the auto driver, its really sad and depressing to note that though rupee is catching up on the dollar but otherwise we are still not there.

Govt should make autos pre paid, that way one some one boards a auto from a particular stand, the drivers name gets registered. We should have a number like 911, which actually works.

Last edited by BUSA : 5th February 2008 at 22:34.
Old 5th February 2008, 22:30   #12
BANNED

After the launch of Nano, these nasty flies on the road should be trapped and taken to metal crusher.
Old 5th February 2008, 22:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Pretty soon there should be a "Say no to Autos" campaign. Auto's have provided a workaround solution for a lot of commuting woes the biggest of which is lack of proper road infrastructure. But in essence have taken passengers away from Buses negating the need for more Bus routes and hence more roads. On one hand it is really evil, but on the other it actually provides a huge transport solution.
Old 5th February 2008, 22:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Pretty soon there should be a "Say no to Autos" campaign. Auto's have provided a workaround solution for a lot of commuting woes the biggest of which is lack of proper road infrastructure. But in essence have taken passengers away from Buses negating the need for more Bus routes and hence more roads. On one hand it is really evil, but on the other it actually provides a huge transport solution.
Quite a valid point.
As far as autos go,they are very useful to have. But with the ruckus created by these fellows,amplified with the absolute disregard for fellow commuters,these guys are a big pain in the ***.
With the fares going up in almost all cities,I hope in the near future,autos are wiped out from the streets for good. Then,driving would be so much better.
Old 5th February 2008, 23:16   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
theMAG : I actually look forward to days where there're auto strikes. Its so much easier to drive on those days
Yes - love those days, but unfortunately these guys dont find enough excuses to go on strike.

Even without such incidents, their doctored meters are enough for me to take a bus to work on the days my truck's at servicing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks