Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2008, 15:16   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
our neighbouring country the fuel price is Rs.17/- per liter as what ive heard.. and why only India is having the costiliest fuel???till my knowledge
You are talking about Pakistan right?
Is the price difference got to do something with they having a direct pipeline from Gulf. (i am not sure)

Edit: Stumbled accross this : Why petrol costs Rs.17 in Pakistan and Rs.50.5 in india??? - Yahoo! Answers India

I guess its got to do something with Pakistan govt. taxes.

Last edited by revved_up : 14th February 2008 at 15:19.
Old 14th February 2008, 15:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
To Moderators: Please merge this with an existing thread(if any).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sel-india.html
Old 14th February 2008, 15:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Everyone knows about the corruption, but that is a different issue than this.

Guess most would agree that kerosene and LPG are heavily subsidised in India, with the intended aim of shifting fuel consumption patterns away from biomass to cleaner, more efficient fuels. Since it is mostly poor households that rely on biomass and
live in rural areas, the subsidies were designed to support energy access for
the poor.

However, in practice, the current subsidy scheme gives greater benefit to the urban sector and richer households, encourages diesel adulteration, and has for the most part failed to shift fuel consumption patterns away from biomass in rural areas. Mr. Pachauri's The Energy and Resources Institute in India has estimated that 40% of the subsidies for LPG and kerosene benefits the richest 7% of the population.

If you wish to, I can give the IEA data for prices and taxes component of petrol and diesel in most developed countries. That would be laborious for me but it can be done. What that data will prove is that Indian oil prices are in the low-medium range, and that most countries do tax these products heavily.

You can say that we are a poor country, and we should be subsidised, say sugar at 5/kg, rice at 15/kg, and so on. Of course, there are policies and programmes to help out the poor, but again the first point, corruption.
Old 14th February 2008, 15:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think its costliest in India, Have paid nearly a pound per litre in U.K. this summer for petrol, now i think its increased even higher than a pound.
1 pound (u.k) = nearly 82 INR (i am guessing)
When you compare average Indian salaries then it is certainly expensive compared to rest of the world. Most of the people earn between 5k-10k in a month and pay 50 bucks a liter. Whereas, the average salary in the US is around 3K USD and they pay around $2.5 per gallon ( 3.7 liters). So if you do the math, India is certainly expensive on fuel prices when compared to globally.

Anyways, i am not complaining as it has effected me by only Rs.1
Old 14th February 2008, 15:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

They pay around $1 per litre.
Old 14th February 2008, 15:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
When you compare average Indian salaries then it is certainly expensive compared to rest of the world. Most of the people earn between 5k-10k in a month and pay 50 bucks a liter. Whereas, the average salary in the US is around 3K USD and they pay around $2.5 per gallon ( 3.7 liters). So if you do the math, India is certainly expensive on fuel prices when compared to globally.

Anyways, i am not complaining as it has effected me by only Rs.1
US prices are presently at US$2.96/gallon for petrol, and 3.28/gallon for diesel. UK prices are around 90 pence a litre.

Again by your logic, since we earn 5-10K per month, and US citizens so much, we should demand to pay only Rs. 1/kg for wheat, Rs. 50 paise/kg for sugar, and Rs. 3/litre for sunflower oil. Anything more and it is looting.

Have you heard of supply-demand, economics and arbitrage.
Old 14th February 2008, 16:04   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Vasudeva, Was just making an apple to apple comparison. And, when i do that i undoubtedly find it expensive than elsewhere in the world.
Old 14th February 2008, 16:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think its costliest in India, Have paid nearly a pound per litre in U.K. this summer for petrol, now i think its increased even higher than a pound.
One should not take a direct conversion approach to evaluate how expensive petrol is across various countries. you need to use Purchase power Parity (PPP) for it. For example exchange rate of 1 USD = 40 Rs. while the PPP of 1 USD is 15 Rs. Similarly PPP of 1 GBP (Great Britain Pound) = 19 Rs.

IMO sensible thing to do is sell petrol cars and buy Diesel Cars.

Last edited by DieselFan : 14th February 2008 at 16:21.
Old 14th February 2008, 16:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am sure to get infraction if i use the words that I want to use... maybe a ban itself.... but what the **&+^#%#&%&%&%%*^^**!*^#%&@% (guys, fill this with the juciest of words!) another hike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
IMO sensible thing to do is sell petrol cars and buy Diesel Cars.
yup, the most sensible thing to do!
Old 14th February 2008, 16:28   #25
BANNED

Jai ho Swift DDiS but what will happen to my RD and CBZ :(.
Old 14th February 2008, 16:39   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
when I was in UK on deputation I got 1700 pounds, so that was 1700 times the price of 1 litre of petrol there. Here in India I get Rs. 30,000 and have to pay 50 bucks for the litre of petrol which turns out to be 600 times the price of 1 litre. That is why we call it costly here.
Old 14th February 2008, 16:54   #27
BHPian

If they try doing this before elections and explain to people all the justification they give now, then i'll accept the hike. When the election comes, they defer the price hike. So where does the concern for the loss of oil companies go then??

The policy must be made clear. Does the govt want people to use Private transport or not. If they want everyone to use Public transport and discourage private transport, then hike fuel price and duties on cars. Then provide excellent public transport systems, like singapore, maybe on a city-by-city basis.

If they cannot provide good public transport, then they have to support private transport. They dont do both and we end up being caught in the middle.
Old 14th February 2008, 17:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
You are talking about Pakistan right?
Is the price difference got to do something with they having a direct pipeline from Gulf. (i am not sure)

Edit: Stumbled accross this : Why petrol costs Rs.17 in Pakistan and Rs.50.5 in india??? - Yahoo! Answers India

I guess its got to do something with Pakistan govt. taxes.
No its something to do with ignorance. Read this
Petrol and diesel prices raised -DAWN - Top Stories; September 1, 2005
and we are talking of 2005! I am sure its much more expensive now.
Old 14th February 2008, 17:14   #29
BHPian

We all are Bakaras.Govt should give us money to ride in such roads and non-sense.If we calculate the money spend on car owner ship it always sad story.
But the goodies of owner ship keeps us going

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks