Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2008, 11:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

DirtyDan, still dont oppose you. Am just saying Rocky balboa's points are valid as well.

As i said in my first post on this thread, YMMV, and it still holds.

In my case , all the things you have said could possibly go wrong has. We have achieved vendor lock in, the cash and time given by the client has run out long ago, and our delivery folks are making us do this as its a prestige issue. At least we're not holding the co to ransom!
Development efforts have been ramped down, I assume there is some firefighting going on , and testing has been ramped up. very, VERY simple things keep going wrong, a significant number of bugs have been reclassified as features, the scope has been reduced, and it still doesn't work yet. We're the last line of defense between a dev team who wants to deliver the gooey substance to the client , and our management who doesn't want that to happen.
The testing that we do is not exactly fancy, but it needs a dev mindset, because after all, we've been there , done that , and when you have a dev trying to pull wool over your eyes. a tester without non dev experience may not be able to spot the workarounds. but i certainly can, and thats the difference

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st March 2008 at 11:59.
Old 1st March 2008, 13:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Well, I am a fresher working on one such project. Infact, barring my TL, everybody else in our six member offshore team is a fresher/near fresher.
I don't know how critical is the production system (on which you are working) for business. However, this is very surprising (and probably poor management) that freshers are working on Live support. Real scary if I was to manage that!
Old 1st March 2008, 13:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
I don't know how critical is the production system (on which you are working) for business.
About the criticality part..Well, its a system which manages orders for a company which..err...sells stuff.
Old 1st March 2008, 14:10   #49
Senior - BHPian

Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
The question to ask is what the person brings to the table.
For Freakin' sure! Good people do good works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
And when you say developers write code and test it, it really forms a very small part of entire test and c'mon we know how much its tested (I was a developer too )
This is a critical point. I left a lucrative position over mostly this issue once. I demand full testing at the development level. I usually get it. I regard it as crucial. I would also like to remind you that separate testing organizations are relatively new. Extremely complex systems have been developed successfully for forty years before testing branched off on its own. I.T. more than stumbled along without it. (I would rather have it by the way.) I am all talked out on this subject. Feel free to have the last word....anybody.....Please!
Old 1st March 2008, 14:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

I personally think the need for Dedicated testing teams stems from the way software is written these days .

If you code it right , it shouldn't need such an amount of testing, and even if it did, it would be just a formality. Unfortunately these days, its not so :(

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st March 2008 at 14:26.
Old 14th April 2008, 13:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Just bumping the old thread for more views.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks