Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai - 7th amongst the World's Dirtiest Cities

It's true - read about it here

- Guess it's time for us to do our bit. Ideas anyone?
Old 6th March 2008, 13:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Only the 7th? I thought we'd take top honours !
Old 6th March 2008, 13:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Y@h00 is blocked @ work - can you guys copy paste the article in here. or else i will have to check it later.
Old 6th March 2008, 13:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

but mumbai has its own charm
Old 6th March 2008, 13:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

What do our bit to make it to the top? I am ready!!
Old 6th March 2008, 13:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Y@h00 is blocked @ work - can you guys copy paste the article in here. or else i will have to check it later.
Sun, Mar 2 08:51 PM

New York, March 2 (IANS) Mumbai and Delhi are among the 25 dirtiest cities in the world while the four Indian metros and Bangalore are among the 20 densest cities, according to the Forbes magazine.

The US business magazine also lists Sukinda in Orissa and Vapi in Gujarat among the 10 most polluted places globally.
While listing Mumbai as the seventh dirtiest, the magazine also cites a recent private sector proposal, Vision Mumbai, which seeks $1 billion government aid for infrastructure, pollution control and economic growth strategy.

Delhi at No.24 fares little better but gets drubbing for the pollution in Yamuna river, which is devoid of marine life and where 'garbage and sewage flow freely, creating a rich environment for the growth of water-borne diseases contributing to extremely high rates of infant morbidity.'

In neighbouring Bangladesh, Dhaka, with lead-poisoned air and water pollution from pesticide use, gets the dubious distinction of being the second dirtiest city in the world.
The top slot as the dirtiest city in the world is taken by Baku in Azerbaijan, suffering life-threatening levels of air pollution emitted from oil drilling.
The list, now on the magazine's website, is based on Mercer Human Resource Consulting's ranking of over 200 cities worldwide on levels of air pollution, waste management, water potability, hospital services, medical supplies and the presence of infectious diseases. New York was used as the norm.

In an earlier Forbes list of the 20 densest urban areas in the world, Mumbai and Kolkata occupied the top two slots, packing in over 23,000 people per square kilometre.
India and China combine to claim nine of the 20 slots, according to 2007 statistics from citymayors.com.
Chennai is at No.8, Delhi at No.13 and Bangalore at No.19 in the list of densely populated cities. Karachi in Pakistan is at No.3.

Living in a dense place affects quality of living, unless you have loads of money and the place is gentrified like Tokyo and New York, the magazine commented. Dense is, however, a relative term. 'A Mumbai native visiting New York is bound to feel like a New Yorker vacationing on a Wyoming dude ranch,' it added.

In Forbes' list of 10 most polluted places on earth, two Indian towns figure. In Sukinda, Orissa, large swathes of the area's surface water and drinking water contain very high covalent chromium levels, potentially affecting 2.6 million people, the magazine said.
Sukinda is home to almost all of the country's chromite ore deposits and one of the largest opencast chromite ore mines in the world.

In Vapi, the pollutants are chemicals and heavy metals from industrial estates, potentially affecting over 70,000 people. Mercury in the groundwater here is reported to be 96 times higher than the World health Organisation (WHO) standards.
Local produce can contain up to 60 times more heavy metals, such as copper, chromium, cadmium and zinc than non-contaminated produce in control groups, Forbes reported.
China and Russia contributed another two cities each to the 10 most polluted places list, prepared by the non-profit Blacksmith Institute.

'In some towns, life expectancy approaches medieval rates, and birth defects are the norm, not the exception,' according to the institute. 'In others, children's asthma rates are measured above 90 percent and mental retardation is endemic.'
Forbes added: 'Fast-track economic growth and years of unregulated mining and chemical production have laid waste to the homes of millions.'
Old 6th March 2008, 13:16   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Here you are

From Mumbai, Delhi among world's dirtiest cities - Yahoo! India News

Quote:
Sun, Mar 2 08:51 PM
New York, March 2 (IANS) Mumbai and Delhi are among the 25 dirtiest cities in the world while the four Indian metros and Bangalore are among the 20 densest cities, according to the Forbes magazine.
The US business magazine also lists Sukinda in Orissa and Vapi in Gujarat among the 10 most polluted places globally.
While listing Mumbai as the seventh dirtiest, the magazine also cites a recent private sector proposal, Vision Mumbai, which seeks $1 billion government aid for infrastructure, pollution control and economic growth strategy.
Delhi at No.24 fares little better but gets drubbing for the pollution in Yamuna river, which is devoid of marine life and where 'garbage and sewage flow freely, creating a rich environment for the growth of water-borne diseases contributing to extremely high rates of infant morbidity.'
In neighbouring Bangladesh, Dhaka, with lead-poisoned air and water pollution from pesticide use, gets the dubious distinction of being the second dirtiest city in the world.
The top slot as the dirtiest city in the world is taken by Baku in Azerbaijan, suffering life-threatening levels of air pollution emitted from oil drilling.
The list, now on the magazine's website, is based on Mercer Human Resource Consulting's ranking of over 200 cities worldwide on levels of air pollution, waste management, water potability, hospital services, medical supplies and the presence of infectious diseases. New York was used as the norm.
In an earlier Forbes list of the 20 densest urban areas in the world, Mumbai and Kolkata occupied the top two slots, packing in over 23,000 people per square kilometre.
India and China combine to claim nine of the 20 slots, according to 2007 statistics from citymayors.com.
Chennai is at No.8, Delhi at No.13 and Bangalore at No.19 in the list of densely populated cities. Karachi in Pakistan is at No.3.
Living in a dense place affects quality of living, unless you have loads of money and the place is gentrified like Tokyo and New York, the magazine commented. Dense is, however, a relative term. 'A Mumbai native visiting New York is bound to feel like a New Yorker vacationing on a Wyoming dude ranch,' it added.
In Forbes' list of 10 most polluted places on earth, two Indian towns figure. In Sukinda, Orissa, large swathes of the area's surface water and drinking water contain very high covalent chromium levels, potentially affecting 2.6 million people, the magazine said.
Sukinda is home to almost all of the country's chromite ore deposits and one of the largest opencast chromite ore mines in the world.
In Vapi, the pollutants are chemicals and heavy metals from industrial estates, potentially affecting over 70,000 people. Mercury in the groundwater here is reported to be 96 times higher than the World health Organisation (WHO) standards.
Local produce can contain up to 60 times more heavy metals, such as copper, chromium, cadmium and zinc than non-contaminated produce in control groups, Forbes reported.
China and Russia contributed another two cities each to the 10 most polluted places list, prepared by the non-profit Blacksmith Institute.
'In some towns, life expectancy approaches medieval rates, and birth defects are the norm, not the exception,' according to the institute. 'In others, children's asthma rates are measured above 90 percent and mental retardation is endemic.'
Forbes added: 'Fast-track economic growth and years of unregulated mining and chemical production have laid waste to the homes of millions.'
Old 6th March 2008, 13:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
What do our bit to make it to the top? I am ready!!
Read in some newspaper yesterday!!
Kutlee: funniest msg of the day !!
Old 6th March 2008, 13:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

It worries me. Being Indian and having been born here, it is just something you take in your stride.
Then certain events occur that force you to see your own home from an outsiders point of view.

It just worries me.
Old 6th March 2008, 13:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am not really happy with this, I have been in Mumbai for 2 years & have a special place for Mumbai in my Heart & it pains me to read bad stuff about Mumbai :(
Old 6th March 2008, 13:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I am not really happy with this,
Quote:
it pains me to read bad stuff about Mumbai :(
Sadly you're more worried about the fact that Mumbai is shown in bad light than about the fact that we have a cleanliness/hygiene issue.

The city has tremendous self-pride and a spirit that comes out of it, as we saw when it was voted one of the rudest cities or something like that. And more importantly after the 1993 blasts, and during the 2006 floods. Pity that this spirit doesnt get translated into an effort to keep the city clean and neat.

Please click on n_c's signature.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th March 2008 at 13:34.
Old 6th March 2008, 13:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly you're more worried about the fact that Mumbai is shown in bad light than about the fact that we have a cleanliness/hygiene issue.
No May be I didnt worded it properly what I meant was that It pains me to see the sorry state of Mumbai which I come to know by reading such news.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:12   #13
BHPian

It's not surprising in the least. What gets me though is seeing so many people complaining yet everytime given the chance, people always (and I do mean always) litter on the streets.
The only thing people do is complain how the government does not keep the city clean but with millions upon millions littering, how much can a workforce of maybe about 10k-1lakh cleaners do?
Time to wake up!

Last edited by Guess? : 6th March 2008 at 14:16.
Old 6th March 2008, 18:21   #14
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
No May be I didnt worded it properly what I meant was that It pains me to see the sorry state of Mumbai which I come to know by reading such news.
I had posted a hard-hitting in your face post which shows the true character of people at helm and most of politicians/bollywood personalities/common ppl. But it was deleted by mods as being too sensitive. Unless folks in mumbai/bombay identify the real issues and address them, the city is going to continue to go down the drain.

Mind you, i have lived in mumbai for 13 years and i am where i am because of my mumbai education.
Old 6th March 2008, 19:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

No point in blaming one another. To make a city clean the authorities and the people have to work hand in hand. Of course its the govt that has to make the first move.

Today...with the economic boom, money is not a concern anymore. Just need the initiative.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks