Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 09:48   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Did you also change the email ids to have different one for each account ? If not, worth trying.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:03   #407
Oxy
BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

I would like to share a very interesting piece of information here.

There is something called the "Lower Berth Quota" apart from the General, Tatkal and Ladies quotas. This can be availed by men who are 60 plus years of age or women who are 45 plus years of age while they are travelling alone.

To give you an example, I was looking to book a ticket for my parents today and found the status to be WL. Now, I proceeded to book the ticket with only my father's details and selected berth preference as lower. Then, on the page where the "make payment" button appears, it showed current status as available. I was able to get a confirmed ticket.

Then I repeated the process for my mother's ticket. Again, I got a confirmed ticket.

The only disadvantage here is that they would get seats in two seperate coaches and won't be able to travel together.

NOTE: If I had entered both their details on the same PNR, it would have added to the WL. This is only applicable if you are travelling alone.
Old 12th December 2012, 00:31   #408
BHPian

SupremeBaleno
Hi
Thanks.That is what I have decided to do.
Will wait for a couple of days to hear from the customer service executive.Otherwise will create a new ID with a different mobile and use my daughters email ID.

Oxy
Hi.
There is a lower berth quota in all the trains and classes(except AC I).At times even when there is a waiting list berths are available in this category.
You can book more than 1 ticket under this quota provided the passengers meet the criteria.
Regards
Old 1st February 2013, 08:41   #409
Senior - BHPian

BHPians,

I had booked train tickets in first week of December 2012 for my trip in the last week of March 2013. Since the railway fares have been recently hiked, will I have to shell out the difference in the fares during my journey. If so, whats the significance of "with effect from 21-01-2013". Does this not mean that any booking post the wef date will have the new fares whereas the old fares will remain for the already booked ones? Whats the logic of doling out the difference during the travel?

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle4290576.ece
Old 1st February 2013, 09:27   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
BHPians,

I had booked train tickets in first week of December 2012 for my trip in the last week of March 2013. Since the railway fares have been recently hiked, will I have to shell out the difference in the fares during my journey. If so, whats the significance of "with effect from 21-01-2013". Does this not mean that any booking post the wef date will have the new fares whereas the old fares will remain for the already booked ones? Whats the logic of doling out the difference during the travel?

Only tickets booked after 21st jan are on new fares. Those who have booked before don't have to shell out extra whatever be the date of travel.
You won't have to pay anything extra.
Old 1st February 2013, 11:49   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BHPians,

If the date of travel falls on or after the effective date of hike, you will have to pay the extra amont on the date of travel.

Please carry the balance amount in cash while you travel. The TTE would collect this amount and give the receipt for the same.

Rohan
Old 1st February 2013, 11:57   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Only tickets booked after 21st jan are on new fares. Those who have booked before don't have to shell out extra whatever be the date of travel.
You won't have to pay anything extra.
I'd booked train tickets in Dec 2012 with a travel date of 30th Jan 2013. On my journey the TTE collected the difference amount and issued a receipt for it.

For all tickets booked earlier with a travel date on or after 21st Jan 2013 are required to pay the additional amount. This will be collected during your journey by the TTE
Old 1st February 2013, 12:22   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post

I'd booked train tickets in Dec 2012 with a travel date of 30th Jan 2013. On my journey the TTE collected the difference amount and issued a receipt for it.

For all tickets booked earlier with a travel date on or after 21st Jan 2013 are required to pay the additional amount. This will be collected during your journey by the TTE
Strange , one of my friends travelled on 23rd jan for tickets booked in early jan, he wasn't asked to pay anything. Might be a miss, or because of initial stage.
Old 26th February 2013, 13:18   #414
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen portal for ticket booking has been announced by the railway minister.
Increased capacity, supports more transactions etc.

Read more on ET.

So no more complaining on this thread.
Old 26th February 2013, 13:43   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Next-gen portal for ticket booking has been announced by the railway minister.
Increased capacity, supports more transactions etc.
So no more complaining on this thread.
I guess not, in fact the complaints will increase but of different nature. The railway buget is making provisions for 7200 tickets to be booked at a time against the earlier 2000 tickets which means the tickets are going to vanish off in minutes of availability. Will the seats increase proportionately is what is to be seen.

One good thing is Aadhar card authentication for ticket booking and validation which will now make people beeline for the aadhar card enrolment.
Old 26th February 2013, 16:23   #416
BHPian

Quote:
The railway buget is making provisions for 7200 tickets to be booked at a time against the earlier 2000 tickets
Saw this on twitter: IRCTC was frustrating 2,000 people every minute, now they will frustrate 7,200 people per minute ;-)

Why do you think Aadhar authentication is good for ticket booking? It will make the entire ticket booking process more cumbersome. OT to this - there were reports that UID data were available on DVDs for 50/- on streets of Mumbai.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 26th February 2013 at 16:43.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:52   #417
Oxy
BHPian

Can someone enlighten me?

If the status is "AVAILABLE-001", i.e. one confirmed ticket is available, and I book two tickets, so I am supposed to get one confirmed ticket and the other with a status "RAC-1" right?

But when I booked, I got one confirmed ticket and the status of the second ticket says WL-15.

How did this happen?

Both tickets were booked on a single PNR.
Old 5th March 2013, 18:01   #418
Senior - BHPian

Interesting query and Google provided the answer. Quoting the part relevant to your query from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserva...t_Cancellation :

If a passenger reserves a ticket online or through reservation office, by choosing the train, class and date of journey; and there is no berth available, then the passenger is automatically added to a waiting list. All RAC/WL tickets have two numbers, the first is the position where the passenger was placed on the original waiting list, the second is the passenger's current waiting list position. For instance WL 10/WL 4 implies that that the passenger was the 10th person on the waiting list, and WL 4 implies that currently, the passenger has moved up to position four. In case there are more cancellations, the passengers position will move up on the waiting list, and if more cancellations are made, it will be moved to the RAC list. So having a place in the RAC list is always better than any position on the WL list.
Old 5th March 2013, 18:37   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Can someone enlighten me?

If the status is "AVAILABLE-001", i.e. one confirmed ticket is available, and I book two tickets, so I am supposed to get one confirmed ticket and the other with a status "RAC-1" right?

But when I booked, I got one confirmed ticket and the status of the second ticket says WL-15.

How did this happen?

Both tickets were booked on a single PNR.
Surprising.
If you have booked during tatkal booking and the train doesn't have an RAC (like only seating class with no berths for a day train), then this can possibly happen but very unlikely scenario.

On the other hand, As SupremeBaleno said, the first WL number is a running serial number, so if there booking had gone to waiting list and due to cancellations, there could be one seat back in available state, and the 2nd ticket got into WL running number 15. The 2nd number actually indicates the current status of WL.

-Ravi
Old 5th March 2013, 20:39   #420
Mik
BHPian

A friend in the "government" and in the know said that the new irctc site is already ready. Currently, performance testing is going on with the results being positive so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks