Team-BHP - School for 'Advanced Driving'
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   School for 'Advanced Driving' (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/37043-school-advanced-driving-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkat (Post 794330)
I am glad that I hit this thread.

I have been driving in Mumbai for more than 15 years now and I must say, touch wood, without an incident other than minor motorcycle nudges etc.

I am quite aware of now the driving school is getting a sham when it comes to learning reall road skills. Both technical as in rules etc and skills as in road craft. My son is now all of 18 and I started teaching him myself. I felt that this would be better than a driving school and I intend to use one only for the purpose of interfacing with bureaucracy.

My question is, 'Is there any good book that gives the Indian law and Indian skills required?'

Venkat

You, Sir, deserve a medal for having driven in that city for 15 years!

Quote:

Originally Posted by susan3004 (Post 794552)
One can always enroll in driving schools to hone their skills and pass with flying colours. But how about the other jokers on the road? Who is going to teach them, even the basics?

It is the attitude and the aptitude which needs a drastic change as far as we(in India) are concerned. We have no driving hassles when we drive on foreign roads. We donot even litter or spit on them! Why??

Police doesnot challan buses, because they claim that the bus drivers are rowdy. They donot challan tractor trolleys(overloaded with husk, occupying two lanes) on highways, because they claim that they are poor people and cannot afford the fine.

Police convoys hooting loud sirens are never in the speed limit. Suppose they are not covered under any act??

They target people whom they think they can get money from. (Families, executives, etc).

These are the people who required to be sent to some school for teaching basics/advance of driving!

You've got a point there about the police, and what it's led to is systemic rot. Oh for a French revolution with very sharp measures :)

Lets start from the basics.
Can we have a school where we can PUT / INJECT / DRILL some common sense first?
"Driving" can be the next course.....and "Advanced Driving" can follow later.

-- Torqy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqy (Post 795383)
Lets start from the basics.
Can we have a school where we can PUT / INJECT / DRILL some common sense first?
"Driving" can be the next course.....and "Advanced Driving" can follow later.

-- Torqy

Way I figured it is: our regular system of driving schools are mere eyewash used by most simply to get their driving licences. The schools themselves are aligned with this making them mere facilitators in the process. The percentage of prospect drivers who genuinely go to them to learn the ropes is dismally small, with the common view being 'let me get my licence first, then we can see about the nuances of the whole thing'.

I see an Advanced driving school as the Emperor's new clothes. Sell the hype and the sizzle. Charge people an arm and a leg. Make it difficult to get a toe in. Set a slew of filters so it's obviously NOT for everyone. Have the public jostle and fight to get an application in. Let them be so keen to get the experience, be certified, they become willing to bribe a peon to move their application thru the system. That's the kind of thing that will work. It creates its own demand.
If it can be tied in with Insurance firms that offer a discount to Certified drivers, that will be the 'push'.

Nothing stronger in marketing, in my opinion than 'limited seats'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by netchef (Post 797815)
Way I figured it is: our regular system of driving schools are mere eyewash used by most simply to get their driving licences.
The percentage of prospect drivers who genuinely go to them to learn the ropes is dismally small, with the common view being 'let me get my licence first, then we can see about the nuances of the whole thing'.

Very true.
How many from our team have got their licenses on their own ?
With that I mean not going to a Motor Training School.
I did and I know it takes a whole lot of patience to go through the extremely torturous process of getting one.

I went to Andheri RTO for my licence and to say the least,
getting information from anyone about the procedure is as difficult as doing Jackie Chan stunts.
There are no indicators, helpdesks etc.
For each and everything there is a charge.

It directly reflects on the quality of drivers on the road.

As Prabhuda said earlier, no tests for applicants from a Motor Training School but If you aren't from a Motor Training School you won't get the license even if you pass the test with flying colours (Confusing......).

The rot has set in and I sincerely hope something can be done.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayurpalav (Post 797843)
Very true.
With that I mean not going to a Motor Training School.
I did and I know it takes a whole lot of patience to go through the extremely torturous process of getting one.

I went to Andheri RTO for my licence and to say the least,
getting information from anyone about the procedure is as difficult as doing Jackie Chan stunts.
There are no indicators, helpdesks etc.
For each and everything there is a charge.

It directly reflects on the quality of drivers on the road.

As Prabhuda said earlier, no tests for applicants from a Motor Training School but If you aren't from a Motor Training School you won't get the license even if you pass the test with flying colours (Confusing......).

The rot has set in and I sincerely hope something can be done.:Frustrati

Probably too much to unlearn in the old system. i don't think things are very different in the Bangalore RTOs- I obtained my licence the propah way 28 years ago, but I know people who paid a sum and were delivered their licences not too long ago. No questions asked.
It's a bit like driving through a red light when it seems no one's looking or it doesn't matter- like late at night. You do it and put others at risk: someone could as easily be doing it to you.

Well, now that the buggers are on the road, there is not much one can do.Maybe if there is a test introduced at the time of renewal and a mandatory test/instruction class for all car buyers things could improve in the coming years.
OT I understand cab drivers but what about the "educated" folks who behave in the same way. For example, I have been observing that while coming out of the office parking, there are guys who just cant wait in line and try to get to the front even though a lot of us are waiting patiently for the attendant to give a go ahead.
How do u teach those supposedly educated morons? Try giving them advice and it becomes an ego hassle for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 798041)
Well, now that the buggers are on the road, there is not much one can do.Maybe if there is a test introduced at the time of renewal and a mandatory test/instruction class for all car buyers things could improve in the coming years.
OT I understand cab drivers but what about the "educated" folks who behave in the same way. For example, I have been observing that while coming out of the office parking, there are guys who just cant wait in line and try to get to the front even though a lot of us are waiting patiently for the attendant to give a go ahead.
How do u teach those supposedly educated morons? Try giving them advice and it becomes an ego hassle for them.

ha ha ha. i laughed till my sides hurt at '...buggers are on the road', and 'morons..'. Well said.

I live in Bangalore and have recently acquired a Skoda Octavia Rally Sport. I am looking for an advanced driving course to learn the essentials for high speed road driving. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil001 (Post 1854806)
I live in Bangalore and have recently acquired a Skoda Octavia Rally Sport. I am looking for an advanced driving course to learn the essentials for high speed road driving. Can anyone suggest a solution?

This might help.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/478180-post1.html

Don't know about the highways, but you can call and find out I guess.
Regards,
Bishan

any such schools in Bombay?

I agree, we need 90% or more of the drivers to learn road manners more than we need them to learn advanced driving.

Recently I was on travel to Mangalore in my friends taxi. The road was flooded with all newbie cars & their drives who had no regard to safe driving. I saw folks overtaking multiple slow moving vehicle at once, overtaking on sharp curves and driving all over the road. I casually asked my friend how does he see new road helping. His answer was,"while the road has become good, cars have become good, people have become worse behind the wheel! We started washing the car, doing some light mechanic work on the car and finally learnt driving, but today you just go to driving institute and buy a license!"

How apt this is. Here is what I think can help us
1) Stop giving licenses through driving institute
2) Make once 3 or 5 years driving test mandatory for all license ownes
3) Make traffic offending car owner to spend a whole day at RTO for paying fine. During this 8 hrs, show him/her the said offence(video), show typical road accidents (gorier the better), show art of safe driving and then take written undertaking promising such mistakes would not be repeated etc. (this has to be 8 hr spend by car owner only/not driver)
4) for a repeat offence start accumulating some points and have increasing rates of fine based on point till license suspension, cancellation etc

As regards to advanced driving schools, none that I know off, but maruti started a driving school with simulator etc, that is the first place to check I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayurpalav (Post 797843)
Very true.

To be honest, I paid Rs. 15/- for my learning license and a couple of months later paid Rs. 25/- for the permanent license. No bribes. And passed in first attempt. But that's another story ;)

When we went into transferring the car ownership from my uncle to me, the form was rejected by the RTO after about six months. Scrutiny of the form revealed that there are two separate forms to be filled, with details of the Transferer (previous owner) and details of the Transferee (new owner) on a separate form each. The form for the Transferee has a field named "Name of Transferer", where we had entered the name of the previous owner.

The agent argued we shouldn't have filled up the form ourselves, and should have contacted an agent. I tried to argue that it's the RTO's mistake to print "Name of Transferer" instead of "Name of Transferee", but the agent wouldn't budge.

The important lesson learnt: The forms and the procedures are meant to benefit the agents. You cannot expect to complete them (forget about understanding) without seeking help from the agents.

Regarding an advanced school, just take photos of the mangled vehicles (with blood around for added effects), blow them up and put them up on the likely accident spots.

What we need is "Self discipline". Even if people follow few basic rules, most of the accidents could be avoided. I still find trailers roaming on highways without tail lights at night, people jumping signals, changing lanes without indication, auto wallas stopping abruptly when they see a customer.

Even so called Educated (?) people also break rules. I have many times was target of abused language for waiting on cross roads for signal to turn green. Unless the mentality of people change, no school will aid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by david.mcgreggor (Post 1909910)
any such schools in Bombay?

Very recently set up AutoMission - just outside Mumbai at Khopoli.

At the moment focus seems to be on Rally driving techniques etc

Link to Team-BHP Report

cya
R