Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 17:53   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
Starting with the assumption that the matches are fixed because you cannot fathom how they make money does not seem right to me. Your friend illegally made money by fixing a match or by betting without knowing the result beforehand?

I am not privy to how the franchises make money. I believe it's like an investment for the owners. Buy today for a certain amount and sell later for more. You think this is not possible?

What about money from TV rights? If Wikipedia is right (), Sony paid 8700 crores for 10 years and about 60% goes to the teams. That's 5000 crores for 10 teams or 500 crores each, which is about equal to the price paid by the initial franchise owners for their teams.
i agree with you, for the matches to be fixed i would imagine almost all the players to be involved in this which is highly impossible. With so many big names and corprates involved in the IPL i doubt anyone would risk their brand names, fixing matches. I am surprised at the way people are confidently making assumptions and branding the players as cheats. You cant just down play the efforts of most of the players who are passionate about their game and are achivers. IMHO give credit where its due!
Old 19th April 2010, 19:45   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Starting with the assumption that the matches are fixed because you cannot fathom how they make money does not seem right to me. Your friend illegally made money by fixing a match or by betting without knowing the result beforehand?
Offcourse not by knowing the result beforehand else I would have done it too and bought myself a VRS :P See its not very obvious. There are bookies, to whom you submit you bet to and everything is done via phones. How many bets does one bookie as depends on how big is he. A big bookie for example in Delhi is playing with more than 150 crores in money at any point of time and there are bookies bigger than him. If you ask me who fixes the matches, I would say its the big bookies who call the shots. You may never know, Kolkatta Night Riders may be making more money by loosing all the time If you believe in might on money in India you would realize that this isnt entirely possible. The stakes are very high my friend, much higher than what it seems on the surface.

Quote:
I am not privy to how the franchises make money. I believe it's like an investment for the owners. Buy today for a certain amount and sell later for more. You think this is not possible?
I am not saying this is not possible. What I am saying is that Media rights money and stadium tickets arent the only revenue sources. Off course they are the legal sources of income but you will never know the amount of money that comes into IPL via hawala channels. As I said unofficial figures peg the betting money at more than 10,000 crores everyday or every match (I wont be surprised). Imagine how much a top side like Mumbai Indians can make in this IPL by betting their money on the side they are playing with, secretly and then loosing the match intentionally. There is no pride involved, just a bunch of cricket crazy fools who probably dont even know what cricket actually is (no offence to anyone here, this is strictly my perspective).

Quote:
What about money from TV rights? If Wikipedia is right (), Sony paid 8700 crores for 10 years and about 60% goes to the teams. That's 5000 crores for 10 teams or 500 crores each, which is about equal to the price paid by the initial franchise owners for their teams.
Everyone's involved in this game, even the media. These figures are just a cover up and gives them an alibi. It also keeps the officials quiet.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 19th April 2010 at 19:49.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:49   #2043
Senior - BHPian

Being a true blue chennaite it has to be CSK. We simply have a superb batting line up. If only it clicks in the semifinals and the finals. I think we are the only team which has been in the semi finals in all three IPL's.
Now thats something to be proud of. MAny more credits to CSK.
Old 19th April 2010, 20:26   #2044
Senior - BHPian

Here ya go
Police probing if IPL 'betting lobby' behind Bangalore blasts - India - The Times of India

I can't put it in as much detail as E_T has, but the whole IPL seems too good to be true and with a crook at the center of it all, it is hard to believe that the whole scene is what is being presented to the public.

And if Sony has paid 8700 crores, how does it expect to recover that money? Solely from ads shown during the matches?
Old 19th April 2010, 20:42   #2045
Senior - BHPian

Well IPL is a good form of entertainment and i leave it at that.

A lot of cricketers get paid well and thats what matters. Period!

About betting i just have to say that EVERY CRICKET MATCH IS BET UPON. So why are people after the IPL?

Just a word of advice to BCCI. Please get more transparency.
Old 19th April 2010, 21:18   #2046
BHPian

Modi to exit IPL?

http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/modi-...govt-20375.php

Last edited by Proxima : 19th April 2010 at 21:19.
Old 19th April 2010, 22:50   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

Everyone's involved in this game, even the media. These figures are just a cover up and gives them an alibi. It also keeps the officials quiet.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain things to me. I won't be surprised at all if there is large scale betting going on. But, I am still not convinced that all the top players from around the world are involved in fixing the results.
Old 19th April 2010, 22:57   #2048
BANNED

Quote:
I appreciate you taking the time to explain things to me. I won't be surprised at all if there is large scale betting going on. But, I am still not convinced that all the top players from around the world are involved in fixing the results.
Wooooo

Biggest news. Very surprising, but does not defy logic.

Wondering the final result.
Old 19th April 2010, 23:01   #2049
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_foot
i agree with you, for the matches to be fixed i would imagine almost all the players to be involved in this which is highly impossible. With so many big names and corprates involved in the IPL i doubt anyone would risk their brand names, fixing matches. I am surprised at the way people are confidently making assumptions and branding the players as cheats. You cant just down play the efforts of most of the players who are passionate about their game and are achivers. IMHO give credit where its due!
Of course there is betting involved. It is like the air, you can feel it but can not see

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 19th April 2010 at 23:13.
Old 19th April 2010, 23:29   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Of course there is betting involved. It is like the air, you can feel it but can not see
No one is denying that there is no betting, of course there is betting just like any other cricket match or soccer. But i have no reason to belive that all the top players from around the world are involved in fixing the results. If you have played any team sport you can feel the passion and team spirit vibes among the players on a day when the particular team is winning.
Old 19th April 2010, 23:39   #2051
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
No one is denying that there is no betting, of course there is betting just like any other cricket match or soccer. But i have no reason to belive that all the top players from around the world are involved in fixing the results. If you have played any team sport you can feel the passion and team spirit vibes among the players on a day when the particular team is winning.
True, but ever imagined how the match will be fixed unless the players don't give a helping hand? I mean, I can fix a match that the team I own will be all out in 50 runs, but won't be able to execute it unless the players do so.

In fact, if you know, it is the players who are the ones MOST involved in the fixings, others are mere channels.

By the way, tomorrow is Mumbai vs Bangalore. Win Win situation for you
Old 20th April 2010, 00:02   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Wooooo

Biggest news. Very surprising, but does not defy logic.

Wondering the final result.
What's this got to do with my post?
Old 20th April 2010, 00:51   #2053
BHPian

IPL - Money > Passion
Old 20th April 2010, 01:40   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
i saw this, personally, i think the government should stay the hell out of sports. Its not their place; why dont they go after the millions of others in this country who dont pay their income taxes?
Old 20th April 2010, 05:20   #2055
Senior - BHPian

This is a wonderful tournament which was formed. When at its infancy people were curious on its success. Now that it has met a lot of expectations everyone wants a pie of it!

Enjoy the game! Exam papers are leaked and people make money on that. So do we ban exams?

BCCI has to get some transparency into the way it operates. Govt dont kill this game ALSO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks